Tubeless tyre refill after lockdown .Yes /No

FirstV8

This is the first time since starting cycling again that my Mtb has not been ridden daily .  I have rotated the wheels a few time and made sure the valve was in the 12 o clock position ( not sure why ) . Now with cycling being allowed tomorrow from 6 to 9 im getting ready , chain is clean , tyres are pumped , brake lever pressure  pads checked and bike cleaned and polished . One aspect im not sure about is the slime in the tyres . 

! ) should i just top up 

OR 

2) should i clean out old and replace with new 

If it was ok before lockdown it should be fine now, unless the tyres went flat and a bead unseated. Typically if you've had no major leaks sealant should be fine for 3 months or so.

If you've got a compressor, checking shouldn't be too difficult unless the tape comes adrift while you're unseating the bead. Check condition and quantity, top up or replace as needed. If tape comes unstuck you're stuck with a tube unless you've got spare.

If it were me and the tyres are holding pressure, I'd just get out and ride.

If it was ok before lockdown it should be fine now, unless the tyres went flat and a bead unseated. Typically if you've had no major leaks sealant should be fine for 3 months or so.

If you've got a compressor, checking shouldn't be too difficult unless the tape comes adrift while you're unseating the bead. Check condition and quantity, top up or replace as needed. If tape comes unstuck you're stuck with a tube unless you've got spare.

If it were me and the tyres are holding pressure, I'd just get out and ride.

Saw a neat trick on youtube for that. If you remove the valve core and put the valve at 6 o'clock, you can use a cable tie as a dip stick to check how much sealant if any you have, without unseating the bead...

Saw a neat trick on youtube for that. If you remove the valve core and put the valve at 6 o'clock, you can use a cable tie as a dip stick to check how much sealant if any you have, without unseating the bead...

Or just give the wheel a shake and do the audible slosh test

Level checks are one thing, but condition checks are another. Bad sealant is worse than no sealant, cos it's sticky and miff and doesn't seal punctures but is still a bastard to wash off your bike and kit.

If you want to check sealant condition without breaking the bead seal, get a syringe and a tube that fits down the valve stem  so you can suck the sealant up into the syringe and eyeball it. If it's white-ish and opaque and more than 80ml, you're good. If it's yellowish and translucent-ish it's dead and needs replacing.

I just prefer to demount the one bead because I have the compressor to mount it again.

On a similar note does anybody know if it will be possible to get sealant or even a tube from tomorrow. I punctured my front tyre (broken valve) on day 1 of lock down and my MTB has been standing since then.

On a similar note does anybody know if it will be possible to get sealant or even a tube from tomorrow. I punctured my front tyre (broken valve) on day 1 of lock down and my MTB has been standing since then.

It pains me to say this, but any Massmart store that sells those things that look a bit like bicycles but aren't (Game, Makro etc) that's open will have tubes.

Checkers Hyper or similar may have something in their outdoor / sport section if they have one.

This is the first time since starting cycling again that my Mtb has not been ridden daily .  I have rotated the wheels a few time and made sure the valve was in the 12 o clock position ( not sure why ) . Now with cycling being allowed tomorrow from 6 to 9 im getting ready , chain is clean , tyres are pumped , brake lever pressure  pads checked and bike cleaned and polished . One aspect im not sure about is the slime in the tyres . 

! ) should i just top up 

OR 

2) should i clean out old and replace with new 

Non issue.

My commuter uses SLUDGE (the one with the Rhino on the emblem)

Often my commuter stands for 2 or 3 months and the SLUDGE remains fine.  "Tested" this a few times since 2017 ...

It pains me to say this, but any Massmart store that sells those things that look a bit like bicycles but aren't (Game, Makro etc) that's open will have tubes.

Checkers Hyper or similar may have something in their outdoor / sport section if they have one.

Which begs the question - -- will the barrier tapes be OFF tomorrow, allowing access to these Level 5 forbidden products ?  Game certainly blocked access earlier this week ....

Level checks are one thing, but condition checks are another. Bad sealant is worse than no sealant, cos it's sticky and miff and doesn't seal punctures but is still a bastard to wash off your bike and kit.

If you want to check sealant condition without breaking the bead seal, get a syringe and a tube that fits down the valve stem  so you can suck the sealant up into the syringe and eyeball it. If it's white-ish and opaque and more than 80ml, you're good. If it's yellowish and translucent-ish it's dead and needs replacing.

I just prefer to demount the one bead because I have the compressor to mount it again.

Which reminds me ... I need to find out what product was used when the store did the tubeless on my bike ....

need to make the call on de-beaded and replacing with SLUDGE, or running tow different products on the bikes at home ... logistically I am inclined to convert to SLUDGE.

DROO I will appreciate your input, and recommendations.

Which reminds me ... I need to find out what product was used when the store did the tubeless on my bike ....

need to make the call on de-beaded and replacing with SLUDGE, or running tow different products on the bikes at home ... logistically I am inclined to convert to SLUDGE.

DROO I will appreciate your input, and recommendations.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Hiehie .... fix it until it is broke !!  :cursing:   :devil:

I typically top up every three months - thats three months on thorn laded trails.  So at some point I need to make that call.  WILL speak to Julien before then, and find out what they used.  Certainly wont be fiddling with it now.

Hiehie .... fix it until it is broke !!  :cursing:   :devil:

More money for the LBS, we're gonna need all the help we can get...