Masks when riding

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride with a buff and once the HR and breathing gets heavy i drop it a bit. I've been out of the riding game for quite a long time and my little asthma lungs have to adapt again. I ride alone so no social distancing needed. I wouldnt shout at motorists as they are unpredictable and uhm their machine is heavier than yours should they decide to use it. I've even started giving way to motorists more lately because they are so difficult to judge we know they hate us when we ride on "THEIR" roads.

Cannot tell you how many times I have checked brakes for rubbing etc since lock down has ended...

Ha ha, know the feeling

Cannot tell you how many times I have checked brakes for rubbing etc since lock down has ended...

Ha ha, know the feeling

Everywhere except the downhills... then W=mg applies, where m is greater after lockdown than before.

After months off regular bikes, and about 800km on the ebike I commuted to work with the HT .... I litterally got off the bike and spun the wheels to check what is wrong ....

Once going it is fine, but the ebike allows you to pull away at reasonably high gears, so I had gotton lazy in downshifting when stopping ... WOW !! best to downshift a normal bike before stopping ...  :whistling:  :ph34r:

• 5 months later...

Some chatter on social media concerning a runner who was arrested in Durbs for running without a mask. My understanding was that anyone undertaking 'strenuous' exercise was exempt from wearing a mask.

Anyone know what is the current (legal) standing regarding masks and exercise? I note on my weekend rides in the Cradle, mask wearing cyclists are about as rare as an honest ANC politician...

Some chatter on social media concerning a runner who was arrested in Durbs for running without a mask. My understanding was that anyone undertaking 'strenuous' exercise was exempt from wearing a mask.

Anyone know what is the current (legal) standing regarding masks and exercise? I note on my weekend rides in the Cradle, mask wearing cyclists are about as rare as an honest ANC politician...

I was also wondering about this.

My understanding is you can exercise with the mask, but you should have a mask with you to put on if you are stopped, as an example by a police officer or where you will encounter other people where you cant keep the required social distance. 

My understanding is you can exercise with the mask, but you should have a mask with you to put on if you are stopped, as an example by a police officer or where you will encounter other people where you cant keep the required social distance.

Yep, it is a tough one to negotiate out of... You wouldn't have needed the mask if the cop hadn't stopped you.

Best to at least carry one with you in a back pocket when going out.

I'd like to see some detailed reporting on this event if indeed it happened. A huge media spotlight could sort out all this uncertainty around exercising currently.

Yep, it is a tough one to negotiate out of... You wouldn't have needed the mask if the cop hadn't stopped you.

I'd like to see some detailed reporting on this event if indeed it happened. A huge media spotlight could sort out all this uncertainty around exercising currently.

But doesn't come this back to that official at that funeral who didn't wear her mask?

Wasn't the argument put forward that if you don't have a mask you can't actually comply with the lawful instruction. It's only if you have a mask and refuse to put it on where you can be criminally charged?

Explaining that to a police officer probably won't help your cause though.

Edit: Nevermind, Govt doing what Govt does best.

Here's the report that is being shared on Twitter: https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/other/durban-man-arrested-and-fined-for-not-wearing-mask-while-jogging/ar-BB1dTK9h

I really dont understand the resistance to wearing a mask.

Put it on, start your ride/run/walk, pull the mask down when ALONE.

When you get close to others, pull the mask up.

And if you plan on doing a 100km road ride, put the mask in zipp-lock bag in your pocket.  When you stop, for coffee\puncture\to help somebody\etc .... put it on.  

FORGET about the "rules". 

EDIT - Dont wear it because of "rules".  Wearing a mask is a basic health measure, protecting YOU and your family.

Had a meeting with a client.  He entered our offices with his mask pulled down.  Normal greetings .... and when he asked "how are you?", I used this opportunity to talk about our collegue that passed away due to covid, family that passed away, various friends and family that were positive ..... "And thus our company do appreciate it if everybody wears their masks..."  90 minutes later he still had his mask ON.

Until there is an effective vaccine, and a reasonable percentage of people had this I will continue to protect myself and my family.

Edited by ChrisF

A possible case of not have a mask with him at all? Police asking him to please put on his mask and him not having one? 

Now, according to the article he was at his front gate which means no longer running. So the police perceived him as being in public, and not vigorously exercising, without a mask and at the same time refusing to listen to reason because at that point they've heard every possible excuse for breaking the law?

Edited by Steady Spin

A possible case of not have a mask with him at all? Police asking him to please put on his mask and him not having one? 

Now, according to the article he was at his front gate which means no longer running. So the police perceived him as being in public, and not vigorously exercising, without a mask and at the same time refusing to listen to reason because at that point they've heard every possible excuse for breaking the law?

I dont disagree with you. I'm sure they have heard and seen every excuse there is.

But, according to the article they were driving around looking for people to lock up. ?????

If he had been running, surely he would have shown some sort of signs of jsut having exercised .

I get it. They're damned if they do and damned if they dont.

It just that SA cops have a history of abusing power

Edited by ouzo