The dreaded FTP

MTB-More

Hi All

So in light of all the indoor training and things going on I finally got to ride outside with my Stages powermeter and did a very awesome 52km today. That asside

I keep on getting a "Dashboard FTP incorrect" on Stages and started looking into the FTP measurements, reading up, talking to freinds etc. 

Now to provide some background I have been wearing a Garmin Fenix as choice for measurements for the past 4 years and for every meter I moved it is on Garmin Connect. I recently got a Stages Powermeter and added that into the mix and then I started Zwift'ing on a SARIS M2 Smart trainer

My FTP are as follows

Garmin Connect : 319

Zwift : 301

Stages : 235 - Estimated

When I last did a FTP test 2 weeks ago it rated me at 265 and thats what I set my Zwift to at that time so was wondering how the hell do you now know whats correct if all the platforms are credible to their following are varied so much ?

Any help will be apreciated

PS. No I'm not interested in doing another 20min k@k off session to determine a new FTP

Edited by MTB-More

PS. No I'm not interested in doing another 20min k@k off session to determine a new FTP

Question asked, and answered. :D

I'm no professional but in my humble opinion these apps and bike computers like Garmin that estimate your FTP are not accurate - Yes they will do if thats the only system of measurement you have. A proper PM like you have (Stages) is the one i'd go with as its measuring your power at the pedals in real time and probably the most accurate.

I also think that a FTP test outside on the bike will be different than an FTP test on an indoor trainer. for IDT work you should train on the same trainer that you did your FTP test on - You cannot or should not test on one device (Like in a gym) and then use that FTP at home on your IDT - Rather have an FTP for the gym bike and one for your IDT.

I know but its literally the last thing I want to think of or do right now :)

When I last did a FTP test 2 weeks ago it rated me at 265

So why don't you just adjust all your platforms to 265?

So why don't you just adjust all your platforms to 265?

I think thats the leading question here. Garmin is clearly overstating but I cant figure out why it would be that high, Zwift included and then Stages is short changing me.

I tend to feel I need to lower it to the Stages one @ 235 and just let it auto adjust it upwards if it wants to

Edited by MTB-More

Generally:

Always better to follow a slightly lower FTP, especially on IDT

And better to choose one consistent method of determining FTP

Edited by 'Dale

If you are completing your intervals and workouts easily, then do another test after calibrating.

For average hacks isn't FTP used mostly as a measure for your training structure?

If you can maintain 320 watts over 20 minutes, then setting your FTP at 235 would be silly as your sweet spot would be low and you 200% and 100% intervals won't be testing you.

Because everything else is just guesswork?

You've done a test, you got 265W as a result, why on earth would you use any other value than that?

Outside that is realistic and I can maintain that on long sections but on the IDT that threshold seem to pretty much knock me. 

Indoor and Outdoor as per the "Article" you linked should be adjusted so Im just going to run a little lower for now and build from there. It seem to be the best way forward until I can do another test in a week from now. 

The 265 was on the Stages on a Dumb trainer but have since got the SARIS M2 Smart and at 265w that thing clamps like a b... Might just redo it on the SARIS to get a better baseline for Indoor

What kind of test did you do...20 mins? If you have the data and have a couple of decent all out efforts in the last 60 days use, then calculate it via a CP model...a lot more accurate than a 20 min test.

Outside that is realistic and I can maintain that on long sections but on the IDT that threshold seem to pretty much knock me. 

Indoor and Outdoor as per the "Article" you linked should be adjusted so Im just going to run a little lower for now and build from there. It seem to be the best way forward until I can do another test in a week from now. 

The 265 was on the Stages on a Dumb trainer but have since got the SARIS M2 Smart and at 265w that thing clamps like a b... Might just redo it on the SARIS to get a better baseline for Indoor

This is where your problem is - You cannot test on one trainer and set up a different trainer with the same result. If you got a new trainer you need to do a new FTP test. I also used a dumb trainer and then changed to a smart trainer my FTP's were completely different.

This is where your problem is - You cannot test on one trainer and set up a different trainer with the same result. If you got a new trainer you need to do a new FTP test. I also used a dumb trainer and then changed to a smart trainer my FTP's were completely different.

Thanks. I think my only option would be to set my outside FTP to what my Stages Suggested at 265 and do a Indoor FTP over the weekend and use that for the Zwift Indoor workouts.

Thanks. I think my only option would be to set my outside FTP to what my Stages Suggested at 265 and do a Indoor FTP over the weekend and use that for the Zwift Indoor workouts.

Yep thats the idea - If, like me, you hate FTP tests, do the ramp test its quicker and just as accurate

Yep thats the idea - If, like me, you hate FTP tests, do the ramp test its quicker and just as accurate

Yea will do the Ramp. I hate the Half Mark FTP one as its 20min of semi dieing for me. The FTP i got of 265 was from the Zwift Ramp test. Will redo that tomorrow when my legs are back

Edited by MTB-More