Shimano Brake Bleeding funnel and Mineral oil needed

RomP

Hi All,

Looking for Shimano Brake Mineral Oil and bleeding Funnel Centurion / PTA will collect & pay.

If you cant find any..Baby Oil could work as its also Mineral Oil..or at least be an interesting test. See link below...

I have the same challenge:

• messed with my brakes and they went soft :angry:
  • but I have some Shimano compatible mineral oil :clap:
  • but I don't have one of those funnel thingy's that you are supposed to get fluid into Shimano brakes :(
  • but I can ask the hubbers for suggestions :clap:

So what does that funnel thingy look like and what can I use as an alternative? I have various syringes, pipes, tubes and things in the garage :whistling:

Thanks in anticipation of useful advice :ph34r:

I have the same challenge:

• messed with my brakes and they went soft :angry:
  • but I have some Shimano compatible mineral oil :clap:
  • but I don't have one of those funnel thingy's that you are supposed to get fluid into Shimano brakes :(
  • but I can ask the hubbers for suggestions :clap:
So what does that funnel thingy look like and what can I use as an alternative? I have various syringes, pipes, tubes and things in the garage :whistling:

Thanks in anticipation of useful advice :ph34r:

I use a syringe as a funnel for bleeding, just need to make sure it is pushed in properly and open at the top...so basically the same as the funnel thingy. Work perfectly

I use a syringe as a funnel for bleeding, just need to make sure it is pushed in properly and open at the top...so basically the same as the funnel thingy. Work perfectly

Pushed?

The funnel threads in and is way easier to get out when it breaks versus a syringe spout

Pushed?

The funnel threads in and is way easier to get out when it breaks versus a syringe spout

If you actually read his post, you will learn that he does not have a funnel and need to find an alternative way to bleed his brakes. push screw blow...whatever bleeds your brake

Edited by Mohs

Shimano brakes (both my xt and xtr) are bled from the caliper with syringe with a tube attached that fits over the bleeding nipple.

The funnel screws into the lever and helps to avoid spillage when you push the oil through, also when done, pull the lever a few times to get the last bubbles out with the funnel thingy in place.

Make sure you place the lever in the 2,3 and 4 o'clock position when squeezing the lever as this will get all the air out ;)

Shimano brakes (both my xt and xtr) are bled from the caliper with syringe with a tube attached that fits over the bleeding nipple.

The funnel screws into the lever and helps to avoid spillage when you push the oil through, also when done, pull the lever a few times to get the last bubbles out with the funnel thingy in place.

Make sure you place the lever in the 2,3 and 4 o'clock position when squeezing the lever as this will get all the air out ;)

CAREFUL ...

"older" models bled UP.

Open the cover at the top, inject fluid UP, fill the pod, insert the rubber bladder (a few drops will spill, make sure all the air is out) refit the cover. Done

post-110956-0-89750900-1588443509_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-57518300-1588443536_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-94942000-1588443557_thumb.jpg

The latest models bleed DOWN !!

LEVEL the brake lever, remove the bleed screw, screw in pod (or syringe), tap along brake pipes and see air bubbles come out, a few pumps of the brake lever and the last air should come out - this is for the typical spongy brakes.  For a refit and total bleed you will have to top up from the TOP, pump and bleed out the bottom ....

post-110956-0-93071800-1588443434_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-78947000-1588443459_thumb.jpg

Trying to bleed a new model upward will result in some repairs at your LBS .... hardly the time to get this wrong .....  My local LBS just smiles about the number of people messing up new Shimano systems ....

Have fun guys.

I run xt m8000 and xtr m9000

Both bled from the caliper up to the lever...

This video cover the basics.

Like i said, once bled, leave the funnel in the lever, tilt to 2 o'clock, pull and release the lever a few times, or flick it, do this at 3 and 4 o'clock and you sorted.

I've done this for some time and never had a brake lever loose any feel, even when hanging the bike upside down no brake fade (this is usually common for shimano to lose brake feel or fade when upside down)

Howsit all.

As a bike shop owner/ Shimano trained mechanic/ engineer/ passionate work with your hands guy. Here is the take.

You CANNOT use baby oil for your brakes. It will swell the seals and your brake will bind and jam up.

You can ONLY use Shimano mineral oil.

The new brakes. 680/780/980 and up you must bleed top down. If you bleed bottom up you run the risk of popping the piston seal off the piston and then the lever is throw away ( as Shimano doesn’t sell or service brake items. Replacement only)

There are ways to bleed bottom up on the new systems but only an experienced (and Shimano trained) mechanic as there are a bunch of things that need to be done. And it’s based a lot on feel.

I have both the miners oil, and funnel and will gladly assist you with bleeding your brakes (even today)

Contact me on 0827877112

you can quite happily use the bottom half of a syringe (no plunger) as your bleed funnel. Choose a size that gives a nice snug fit and put something on the floor to catch the drips.

And definitely bleed from the top down. It is such an easy process when done this way round (bleeding the Di2 road hydraulics in my case). 

Edited by 100Tours