Blast from the past

I was looking for something, and discovered this gem. I think some of the younger generation would not know what this is.....

Bicycle licence. Attached onto the saddle... Edited by Kalahari Vegmot

Cool post!

Interesting, the "Exemption" stamp on the license. I've never seen that before. Suppose it would have been for people like postmen and the police? 

In the primary school years (1993-1999), we had registration numbers punched onto the bottom of our bikes.

It belonged to this old Hercules bike and that dates back to the 1930s when it belonged to his father. It had now migrated to one of my sons and for sentimental reasons we restored it a few years back. It did one Eroica SA and a few Moonligh Mass rides.

post-17716-0-32207300-1588492007_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-44837300-1588492025_thumb.jpg

On the rear mudguard it has a number plate (BM is for Belville Municipality) but I don't know from what era that is, I would suppose even further back than the stamped licence tags?

post-17716-0-16088100-1588492352_thumb.jpg

Cool post!

Interesting, the "Exemption" stamp on the license. I've never seen that before. Suppose it would have been for people like postmen and the police? 

I wasn't in either of those, just a normal citizen. I started cycling to work as soon as I started working at Sasol in 1983.

I remember the bicycle licence disc . We had to by it each year in February ( In the 60's we paid 50c) If caught without it you were fine R5.00

I remember the traffic police used to stand outside the school bicycle shed at home time (2pm) and fine anyone who did not have a valid license.

In the days when schools had bicycle sheds and they were full of bicycles

It belonged to this old Hercules bike and that dates back to the 1930s when it belonged to his father. It had now migrated to one of my sons and for sentimental reasons we restored it a few years back. It did one Eroica SA and a few Moonligh Mass rides.

wow, I love it and the story, very cool

Very cool - will google to see if those chrome guys are still around

They are not, unfortunately. :thumbdown:

I remember the traffic police used to stand outside the school bicycle shed at home time (2pm) and fine anyone who did not have a valid license.

In the days when schools had bicycle sheds and they were full of bicycles

Also remember those days.