What is the biggest loop you can fit into your 5km radius?

WIPEOUT 1000

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be interesting to share how far we can go while staying within the regulations.

I can do approximately 33km if I follow the roads closest to my 5km radius.   

you can go as far as your average speed will allow over the 3 hrs.. i see many unused roads on that map of yours, within the radius ;-)

you can go as far as your average speed will allow over the 3 hrs.. i see many unused roads on that map of yours, within the radius ;-)

Especially in the suburbs we are spoiled for tar roads.

Sticking to 1.5km radius, I can sketch a route of about 20km, where I never ride the same piece of road twice...

So 5km radius would mean I would easily run out of time before I run out of tar.

Agreed, but for me cycling up down parallel roads is a bit like doing an army parade ground inspection. I would love to see what guys have done to make it a bit more interesting. E.g. more flow, less turns, etc.

Just don't get caught with a mech issue 4,99km from home at 8:45.   :oops:

Saturday morning I stopped to help a guy with a flat .... Gator skins tires, and only one tire lever ....

They had to walk home .... and this was at about 8:50 ..... and the one commented that they have a good distance to cover !!!

Then again, anybody could SEE the flat back tire.  He had a spare tube, we had pumps, just no way of getting that gator-skin off the rim.

(I now have extra tire levers in my toolbag)

It may be interesting to share how far we can go while staying within the regulations.

I can do approximately 33km if I follow the roads closest to my 5km radius.   

I planned a 28km route for Sunday morning, without even venturing into the Southern part of my radius ....

Sure I could easily do a 50km route without once crossing my own route.  :thumbup:  :clap:   Even then I wont be using a fraction of the possible routes ....

We are SPOILT for choice !!!!

You'll need to lay down some guidelines for this, like

• No repeats of same street, 
  • No out and back
  • Only a single circular route
  • As close to the edge of your 5km radius as possible

Theoretically, your max would be 2PiR = 31.8km + 2 x radius to get out to the circumference so about 41clicks.....

But you'll have to add the extra bits you may need to stay close to the edge...

Edited by capediver

Saturday morning I stopped to help a guy with a flat .... Gator skins tires, and only one tire lever ....

They had to walk home .... and this was at about 8:50 ..... and the one commented that they have a good distance to cover !!!

Then again, anybody could SEE the flat back tire.  He had a spare tube, we had pumps, just no way of getting that gator-skin off the rim.

Gatorskins or not getting the tire off is all about technique...

- move the bead to the centre of the rim all the way around the circumference of the tire - the rim has a smaller circumference in the centre.

- if the tire is really tight do this on both sides

- in most cases the tire is now loose enough to slide off by hand, or 1 tire lever in an extreme situation.

I did half a loop and it was little over 20km not riding the same road twice. Gonna see tomorrow what the best distance I can get.

Last weekend - 2 laps probably within a 1.5-2Km radius. Ended on 55Km by doing 2 laps (and missing out a section).

36b6414160258b7b1162f9ec9eccd8fe.jpg

Plan for this weekend - pushing the route to the limit of the 5Km radius. No doubling back on myself. The little bit that sticks out (far left), is a dead end at a horse riding facility - not sure if the road is open all the way to the stables, but I’ll probably turn around at my usual 10Km run turnaround point.

a460ebd1d02fc581bd05c4e79834b39b.jpg

Gatorskins or not getting the tire off is all about technique...

- move the bead to the centre of the rim all the way around the circumference of the tire - the rim has a smaller circumference in the centre.

- if the tire is really tight do this on both sides

- in most cases the tire is now loose enough to slide off by hand, or 1 tire lever in an extreme situation.

Also useful for me. Thank you. I used to really battle.

I planned a 30k run for the weekend. All in the 5k radius and never repeating any loops. I can get 50km out of my radius easy.

Then again, anybody could SEE the flat back tire. He had a spare tube, we had pumps, just no way of getting that gator-skin off the rim.

In desperation you can use some quick release levers (assuming the bike has) to help get the tyre off.

My loop is around 29km, so two loops gives me some nice distance.

But it all depends on whether or not you are adhering to the 5km radius rule. The number of people on Strava that don't adhere to this rule and ride well outside the radius, astounds me. They will be the first people to complain when the exercise slot is taken away as people didn't follow the rules.