Road cycling newbie

JuddMan

Hi guys,

Would like some advice if once can spare any for me.

I am looking at getting a road bike to cycle around the neighborhood for some exercise and join some friends on their social rides. I am 6'3 so not exactly sure what size I should be looking for? (Basic research has pointed me to 60-61cm). I do not have a lot of money to spend at all and hoping to get away with something basic?

I have ridden MTB before (sold the bike as I quite frankly didn't enjoy MTB trails AT ALL :thumbdown: (perhaps because I didn't have any friends who did MTB and I was riding alone)) so I have some gear to get me going (proper shorts, jerseys etc)

Any ideas? I have trailed the classifieds here but seems to be a rather uncommon size, or the bike is unfortunately too far away from me (I'm on the East Rand boet :whistling: )

Appreciate any comments in advance.

At 6 foot 3" I have the same issues. All the bikes I ride are XL.

Inseam and arm length play a part in frame sizing. I have a 91cm inseam which is slightly out of normal proportions (long legs and arms, shorter torso), so I prefer 61cm Center to Center (traditional measurements, or XL).

Bikes that size are pretty difficult to find. 

But maybe something like this is what you are after.

Not sure of your budget, but this frame is pretty good.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/399850/scott-expert-61cm-bm4082-make-us-an-offer

Or go classic steel and get this :)

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/400145/collectors-item-peugeot-635

Edited by quintonb

I'm 6ft2, or 188cm outside of the USA. ;)

I ride a Size 58 Specialized Tarmac, bought it 2nd hand for R10k in the classifieds in 2016, it was already 8 years old by then, but still a stunner of a bike. Bought it from Bloemfontein without seeing it, but it was being sold by a shop, so my risk was lower.

A road bike is a safe 2nd hand purchase as the stuff you should be wary of is easy to spot with the naked eye. If it is clean and not abused, you are probably fine. Whereas MTBs can have allot of hidden niggles.

Go ride a couple of bikes that are advertised on here, even if they are not entirely in your budget, just to see what size you feel comfortable with.

Inseam and arm length play a part in frame sizing. I have a 91cm inseam which is slightly out of normal proportions (long legs and arms, shorter torso), so I prefer 61cm Center to Center (traditional measurements, or XL).

Bikes that size are pretty difficult to find. 

But maybe something like this is what you are after.

Not sure of your budget, but this frame is pretty good.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/399850/scott-expert-61cm-bm4082-make-us-an-offer

Or go classic steel and get this :)

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/400145/collectors-item-peugeot-635

Thanks for the heads up. Funny, I already contacted Bike Market regarding your first suggestion, and unfortunately the bike is already sold :thumbdown:  looked great for what I was after and perfect for the budget I have

I'm 6ft2, or 188cm outside of the USA. ;)

I ride a Size 58 Specialized Tarmac, bought it 2nd hand for R10k in the classifieds in 2016, it was already 8 years old by then, but still a stunner of a bike. Bought it from Bloemfontein without seeing it, but it was being sold by a shop, so my risk was lower.

A road bike is a safe 2nd hand purchase as the stuff you should be wary of is easy to spot with the naked eye. If it is clean and not abused, you are probably fine. Whereas MTBs can have allot of hidden niggles.

Go ride a couple of bikes that are advertised on here, even if they are not entirely in your budget, just to see what size you feel comfortable with.

Thank you. I guess I just have to keep trawling the classifieds. I like that road bikes are relatively 'simple' mechanically to MTB, so I am sure I will be able to see a well looked after one when I see one. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/400217/norco-valance-58cm-bm4130-make-us-an-offer

Pretty bike, relatively new. Plus they might still be open to offers.

Buyers market currently, go for it.

Appreciate the help. Would a 58cm not be too small for me however? I know the best thing to do is head on down to a LBS and get measured up but I don't think that is viable currently under the lockdown conditions.

Inseam and arm length play a part in frame sizing. I have a 91cm inseam ...

snip

pfft...6'3/91cm

midget ^_^ 

try finding something that fits 6'6 and 95cm inseam lol.

OP: if you are keen to build something nice...Soma steel is an option...They make up to size 66 in the their road/CX/gravel frames. look at the Fog Cutter, Wolverine, Double Cross.

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/fog-cutter-frame-set

they are available locally through David :

https://everydaycyclesupplyco.com/collections/steel-frames

also..SPAZ makes some of their bikes up to 62cm

post-64325-0-72270200-1588831952_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-44770200-1588831958_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-53105500-1588831963_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Appreciate the help. Would a 58cm not be too small for me however? I know the best thing to do is head on down to a LBS and get measured up but I don't think that is viable currently under the lockdown conditions.

So what I did:

I knew I would need to get a proper bike fit done, so I was gonna spend the money anyway.

So I contacted one of the guys with a Retul Bike Fit system and explained to them that I am in the market for a new bike and I need them to do a fit for me and then advise me what "Stack" and "Reach" measurements I needed for that fit.

(These measurements are published for most bike Frame sizes online, so you can check out whether a frame is in the ballpark required without setting a foot outside)

The guy was happy to do my fit on his Retul jig. He gave me my measurements and I returned a month later with my 2nd hand bike and he just tweaked the bike a little bit. Never had an issue with any niggles.

You should be able to find someone in your general area that can offer something similar, it is money well spent.

post-27827-0-59133100-1588831991.jpg

pfft...6'3/91cm

midget ^_^ 

try finding something that fits 6'6 and 95cm inseam lol.

OP: if you are keen to build something nice...Soma steel is an option...They make up to size 66 in the their road/CX/gravel frames. look at the Fog Cutter, Wolverine, Double Cross.

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/fog-cutter-frame-set

they are available locally through David :

https://everydaycyclesupplyco.com/collections/steel-frames

also..SPAZ makes some of their bikes up to 62cm

Thise pictures should com with a NSFW warning...

Thise pictures should com with a NSFW warning...

Why? Do your colleagues get offended when you puke at your desk?

You sure picked the wrong time for that one.

haha oh ja, I hear you. Of course I mean after lockdown (whenever that is) is when I want to join on some social rides.

So what I did:

I knew I would need to get a proper bike fit done, so I was gonna spend the money anyway.

So I contacted one of the guys with a Retul Bike Fit system and explained to them that I am in the market for a new bike and I need them to do a fit for me and then advise me what "Stack" and "Reach" measurements I needed for that fit.

(These measurements are published for most bike Frame sizes online, so you can check out whether a frame is in the ballpark required without setting a foot outside)

The guy was happy to do my fit on his Retul jig. He gave me my measurements and I returned a month later with my 2nd hand bike and he just tweaked the bike a little bit. Never had an issue with any niggles.

You should be able to find someone in your general area that can offer something similar, it is money well spent.

Thanks very much. Definitely will try find someone to do a proper bike fit, when it is allowed.

quick question, what amount of emphasis should I be putting on the components? I know that good components are necessary for a better lasting and enjoyable cycling but does that mean I should not be looking at anything under a 105 group set? Or would something from the Sora/Tiagra range be okay for my application?  

quick question, what amount of emphasis should I be putting on the components? I know that good components are necessary for a better lasting and enjoyable cycling but does that mean I should not be looking at anything under a 105 group set? Or would something from the Sora/Tiagra range be okay for my application?

In my opinion, don't fuss took much about components right now. You can upgrade them as time goes by and they wear out.

I'd say anything from Tiagra upwards is fine.

Priority is getting the bike that is the right fit with wheels that aren't dodgy. From there you can build something nice.