Tour de France supplier Mavic placed in receivership

Mongoose!

Seems abit of a mess. If I know anything about french law it's going to be show to see if it gets sold off, wrapped up or what... there was report about it being snapped up by a private equity firm but that is uncertain. 

They are part off the fabric of cycling, shame their products had gone off the boil in the last few years but it's a classic brand with supply chain, staff and one hell of a history so I'm guessing it will live on. 

It would be a real shame not to see the Mavic Neutral Service at Le Tour any more, it seems to have been a part of that race for as long as I've followed cycling. 

Rossignol isn't much better in handling TIME bikes. They're looking to offload the frame manufacturing business and only retain pedals and shoes. Seems the buying and selling without a proper strategy is common in the bike industry. If someone can snap up both TIME and MAVIC they'd have a great suite of brands covering a broad spectrum of key bike components

Should of never sold out to the Yanks all those years back...! Thats when it went pear shaped!

Rossignol isn't much better in handling TIME bikes. They're looking to offload the frame manufacturing business and only retain pedals and shoes. Seems the buying and selling without a proper strategy is common in the bike industry. If someone can snap up both TIME and MAVIC they'd have a great suite of brands covering a broad spectrum of key bike components

A carbon frame designed and made in a french factory with all the madness of French employment laws, cost in the EU zone vs China... you're never going to buy that one for a headache free life and riotous profit stream! I love Time frames but you'd have sleepless nights owning that one. 

A carbon frame designed and made in a french factory with all the madness of French employment laws, cost in the EU zone vs China... you're never going to buy that one for a headache free life and riotous profit stream! I love Time frames but you'd have sleepless nights owning that one. 

They real question is .Should we continue to buy Chinese products and support a communist regime 

Edited by arendoog

They real question is .Should we continue to buy Chinese products and support a communist regime 

That has always been the question but everyone has happy overlooked it for decades for cheap, cheap. I've always tried not to buy Chinese where I can as I'm still grumpy about tibet! 

Am not keen on anything Chinese, but hard to avoid when they produce 90% of everything we buy out there, its our fault collectively for allowing them to become so powerful and now we look at our imbalanced global trade market! I remember back in the day actually testing out a photo type Carbon bike right here in SA! those were the days, or lets go back even further when you;d be hard pressed to find anything from side of the world... 50 years ago they were nowhere and nobodies, now look at the monster we've created. This is going to get ugly before it gets better. I think we need to refocus every countries abilitys and forget about price and focus on product. It country needs to rebuild there own before venturing into foreign waters. IMHO.

Remember, the beast is accurately called Chimerica. Two halves of one beast. Dollar dominance on one side with insatiable appetite for consumption and total authoritarian State feeding the consumers to pile up the dollars. Insane really. Another good reason to go for a ride.

Rossignol moved frame production to slovakia.

• 2 months later...

Good idea ot focus on what they're good at. The shoes will be missed but they didn't fit me very well any way (too narrow). Helmets were Fugly.

Hopefully they can bring high quality rims and hubs back and maybe even a working Mektronic.

They produced some of the most beautiful cranksets ever produced

Good idea ot focus on what they're good at. The shoes will be missed but they didn't fit me very well any way (too narrow). Helmets were Fugly.

Hopefully they can bring high quality rims and hubs back and maybe even a working Mektronic.

They produced some of the most beautiful cranksets ever produced

When in France having bought some kicks and some kit and found it to be average at best. Yebo, their hoops are exceptional - I’ve had Ultimates, Ksyrium Elites, flirted with Zipps and went back to Mavic Carbon clinchers. ????????