First time buyer!

KK

Hi everyone!

I'm a 23 year old University graduate looking to purchase a new bike. I rode quite a lot a while ago, but University got in the way (and my bike was stolen..)

I would like to ride on trails, so I think dual suspension is important.

I have done some research on bikes, and have compiled a spreadsheet of options here.

If you could please take a look and offer some advice that would be greatly appreciated! I have added a column for comments to be made if that's easier for you.

In that list most probably the Evo comp or the one twenty 600.

But thinking you need a dual to be able to shred trails is a common mistake. In that price range I would build one sweet HT that would leave those bikes in the dust and be much cheaper to run in the long term.

But thinking you need a dual to be able to shred trails is a common mistake. In that price range I would build one sweet HT that would leave those bikes in the dust and be much cheaper to run in the long term.

After riding a dual susp bike for 6 months, I second this statement.  I would rather go for a really nice HT.

Apologies for hijacking the post - but what nice HT would you guys then suggest? 

Apologies for hijacking the post - but what nice HT would you guys then suggest?

No stress, I would also be interested!

something comfortable and that could fit decent size rubber and reasonably slack. I am obviously biased towards the Scott scale carbon it just works for me.

Others I had which I would suggest would be Rocky Mountain Vertex, Cannondale FSI 2015 and up, Specialized stumpjumper /epic 2015 and up.

What also makes a lekker trail ripper Santa Cruz Highball, warranty covers 120mm fork bulletproof frame good tyre clearance but, they are pricey 2014 and up.

Most important part a dropper! 29er HT with a dropper feels like a BMX.

There are other more serious trail toys like the Silverback slade trail and Kona also has 1 can't think of the name now. But I think they are load on the car and take to the trail to play not for all day riding.

Here's my suggestion and I normally get shot down and stabbed with some stray pitchforks for making this obscene statement: 

Build, build, build.

I will list a few pro's as to why: 

• It is cheaper than buying a new bike (And yes, I have successfully built quite a few bikes to back this up - but also, this is dependent on what you pay for the individual parts) If you can get a Reba for R4k and then suddenly you notice a SID for R6k then it becomes a juggling act
  • You get exactly what you want. This is probably the most important advantage, if you get a bike off the shelf you will upgrade parts pretty soon after buying it - guaranteed. 
  • It's way way more fun, yes it does take slightly longer to source all the parts and assembling it but you learn a valuable skill along the way. You will probably be able to help yourself out on the trails and be able to service the bike yourself if you wish.  

PS. If you're keen, look me up and I will assist if this is something that appeals to you.

Here's my suggestion and I normally get shot down and stabbed with some stray pitchforks for making this obscene statement: 

Build, build, build.

PS. If you're keen, look me up and I will assist if this is something that appeals to you.

I am also coming to this conclusion.

If you don't mind I would like to get some pointers as well at a stage please

Edited by Pieter-za

Titan Drone Elite or Comp.

Elite - 12 speed XT with a Sid fork for under R20k. Name another new HT with that specs for under R20k? R19500

Comp - 12 Speed SLX which is more than enough, cant comment on the Manitou Markhor fork though...

R17 000.

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/titan-29er

The Manitou gets good reviews.  I have one on my new bike, looks good.  But I still need to take it out out on a ride, will wait for the weekend.

But the Drone Elite, best bargain I've seen in a long time.  

The Manitou gets good reviews.  I have one on my new bike, looks good.  But I still need to take it out out on a ride, will wait for the weekend.

But the Drone Elite, best bargain I've seen in a long time.  

Guess its worth paying R2500 more for what you get! Wont go for the Pro with GX Eagle for R23k, not getting more value for that extra R3k(dont want to argue the Sram vs Shimano on this thread :)

Guess its worth paying R2500 more for what you get! Wont go for the Pro with GX Eagle for R23k, not getting more value for that extra R3k(dont want to argue the Sram vs Shimano on this thread :)

The Elite is the best out of the three

That Merida is a good bike for the money. Solid spec, but quite heavy in the alloy models. Sizing is a bit strange, they tend to be quite short reach per size compared to bikes in the category. Definitely try one out before making a decision