Swiss Epic 2020

Uncleslow

Might as well get the show on the road...

1) Any Saffers registered and signed up for Swiss Epic 2020?

2) Will the event go ahead? So far I have been told it will...

If you have done it previously, what advice(s) do you have? Do we book an extra days accommodation prior to the race, massage, service, places to stay, transport and transfers, etc...?

????

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well get the show on the road...

1) Any Saffers registered and signed up for Swiss Epic 2020?

2) Will the event go ahead? So far I have been told it will...

If you have done it previously, what advice(s) do you have? Do we book an extra days accommodation prior to the race, massage, service, places to stay, transport and transfers, etc...?

Sorry have not done it, but there are some good hub articles on it. 

The Swiss are trying hard to be CV-19 prepared and "less locked down" at the same time, I hope this extends to the Swiss Epic 2020. From what i understand they will make a final decision in the middle of June

Good luck!!

https://community.bikehub.co.za/features/_/articles/ride-reports/ride-report-climbs-and-cowbells-at-the-2018-swiss-epic-r7559

https://community.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/mtb/international-mtb/a-south-african-perspective-on-the-perskindol-swiss-epic-r7537

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man I did it last year one word of caution it might ruin mountain biking for you forever. After comming back from rolling green hills riding in beautiful clean mountain ranges and crossing streams that are drinkable and doing the best riding I’ll ever do I came back to SA to do the berg n Bush one month later . It was such a let down to me that after comming back I hung up my bike and my ass didn’t touch the saddle for the next 7 months and my partner still hasn’t started . It will be the highlight of your life. If I can give any advice it’ll be to concentrate on hills. By the time I was ready to race I could push out 247watts over an hour on a spinning bike but the hills still hurt me. I remember one day taking 1hr 10min to do 7km and that was toward the end of the stage . If you can’t do 2 loops at suikerbosrand then don’t go if you can’t climb 3000m in a ride don’t go the hills are something fierce and if you not strong at climbing it won’t be A pleasant ride. Next is touch up on your technical downhill abilities . Often you’ll find yourself going down hills that are technical and it’s taxing on the upper body. A dropper post is highly highly recommended and if you don’t have one you will land on your head it’s a guarantee . I was running my tyres 2bar or a bit under Just for better traction . We went 3 or 4 days prior to the race but this wasn’t necessary and expensive I’d say maximum 2 days . We hired a minibus it just seemed easier than catching trains etc but whatever works for you to get there. Overall I can’t describe the race in words it’s something you have to do and I’ll want to defiantly do it again .

Hey man I did it last year one word of caution it might ruin mountain biking for you forever. After comming back from rolling green hills riding in beautiful clean mountain ranges and crossing streams that are drinkable and doing the best riding I’ll ever do I came back to SA to do the berg n Bush one month later . It was such a let down to me that after comming back I hung up my bike and my ass didn’t touch the saddle for the next 7 months and my partner still hasn’t started . It will be the highlight of your life. If I can give any advice it’ll be to concentrate on hills. By the time I was ready to race I could push out 247watts over an hour on a spinning bike but the hills still hurt me. I remember one day taking 1hr 10min to do 7km and that was toward the end of the stage . If you can’t do 2 loops at suikerbosrand then don’t go if you can’t climb 3000m in a ride don’t go the hills are something fierce and if you not strong at climbing it won’t be A pleasant ride. Next is touch up on your technical downhill abilities . Often you’ll find yourself going down hills that are technical and it’s taxing on the upper body. A dropper post is highly highly recommended and if you don’t have one you will land on your head it’s a guarantee . I was running my tyres 2bar or a bit under Just for better traction . We went 3 or 4 days prior to the race but this wasn’t necessary and expensive I’d say maximum 2 days . We hired a minibus it just seemed easier than catching trains etc but whatever works for you to get there. Overall I can’t describe the race in words it’s something you have to do and I’ll want to defiantly do it again .

With this brief description I have just added the race to my "MTB Race Bucket List" 

the 300m is typically 2 big climbs, you settle in a go, its very different to doing loops of little rollers and 10min efforts around the cape peninsula or Suikers. Its actually easier climbing. I never once did a ride with 3000m in and went to ride it with a mate and did just fine. He hadn't either. 

The event is a must do, beats anything in SA as said. It does give you massive fomo when you return. 

Edited by J Wakefield

Hey man I did it last year one word of caution it might ruin mountain biking for you forever...... Overall I can’t describe the race in words it’s something you have to do and I’ll want to defiantly do it again .

bluewhite,

Thanks a lot. Awesome review and thanks for the suggestions. I am good on all the points - except I cannot climb ... I have committed, so unless Corona saves me I have two months to prepare.

What was the weather / climate like? Do we need to bring warm gear or is it summer riding?

I have fitted dropper and upgraded brakes. Someone mentioned a mud-guard because of the rivers... good idea or waste of time?

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man Tom if it were me now getting ready for it I would just stick to your weak point which is climbing . I was finding a hill and doing hill repeats constantly . Like I said there was a day that took me over an hour to climb 7km mabey this is because I’m not a strong climber too but I recon attack climbs become strong at it. You want to enjoy the riding not cough up blood 30km in thinking why did you actually sign up for this . The stronger you are the more you’ll enjoy the race . The climate was nice it starts out a bit cool in the morning with a high of 26 so you never really freezing or on fire . I was starting out with a thin waterproof jacket then about an hour later it went into the camelpak. With regards to a mud flap you don’t need it I never saw one in the 5 days of racing . Just train hard I was fit for this race and for me it was still tough. I like to be done with a stage in like 4 to 5 hours once you go into 6 and 7 hours peddling this is where the fun leaves you and survival kicks in So train hard . I’m really excited for you man I’m defiantly going to do it again I gave to do it again !!

bluewhite,

Thanks a lot. Awesome review and thanks for the suggestions. I am good on all the points - except I cannot climb ... I have committed, so unless Corona saves me I have two months to prepare.

What was the weather / climate like? Do we need to bring warm gear or is it summer riding?

I have fitted dropper and upgraded brakes. Someone mentioned a mud-guard because of the rivers... good idea or waste of time?

Tom

Regarding the weather.... it’s the alps and the weather can change very quickly.

It should be warm to hot

BUT

Be prepared and rather pack a lightweight waterproof jacket that you can carry easily.

There is nothing worse than riding long descents at speed while you are wet and its cold, remember you need to ride for a week so no point in risking catching cold because you did not have a warm top to wear.

Spare gloves would also be a good idea incase they get soaked and if they don’t dry overnight.

Regarding the weather.... it’s the alps and the weather can change very quickly.

It should be warm to hot

BUT

Be prepared and rather pack a lightweight waterproof jacket that you can carry easily.

There is nothing worse than riding long descents at speed while you are wet and its cold, remember you need to ride for a week so no point in risking catching cold because you did not have a warm top to wear.

Spare gloves would also be a good idea incase they get soaked and if they don’t dry overnight.

a pair of spare brake pads too maybe?

a pair of spare brake pads too maybe?

Hehe depends how much you value your life like to use your brakes

Ive heard of guys running out of brake pads but never actualy seen it happen

Personaly i would not carrry any....

bluewhite,

Tom

Todays weather looking into the alps on my way home from the office

post-182-0-08964000-1592509575_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-83387500-1592509582_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips. Trying to stay motivated in the cold...

I have fitted upgraded brakes with proper 4-pots up front and 220 discs, so stopping is sorted. Have fitted dropper so that box is sorted. I am climbing every day...

Anyone know if it is gritty twisty single track, or is it more like a never ending Jeep track into the sky. Trying to get my head around 3000 meters in 65 Kms... the Merino Monster at Tankwa was doable, but that was "only" 1000 meters. Suikerbos is easy, but not really a MTB ride?

Otherwise I'll just fit a 20-ring

I said I ran 2 bar or just under when climbing I like riding with slightly harder tyres but when you there and you ask around everyone varies a bit

@Bluewhite, why 2 bar? Are you a heavy guy?