Indoor Training

Obiwan

Hi Guys

Im fearly new to cycling so sorry if this is a stupid question. I have a Garmin Edge 500 gps. Now I want to start cycling indoors either on a trainer or rollers. My question is what will I need to measure time distance and speed to be able to log a ride on strava?

Gamin speed/cadence sensor, or the new style speed sensor only.

Should be one in your garmin box, otherwise pleny on the used marketplace here.

Keep in mind that you don't need distance and speed to log a ride on Strava. Granted, I'm not 100% sure how it works with a cycling computer, but you can record just time and HR. That's what I do at the moment with my dumb trainer, except I use the Wahoo app on my phone that's linked to my heart rate monitor, it has the option of recording indoor rides that disables the GPS.

Edited by TyronLab

Morning Obi, welcome to the Hub. You will have three options depending on the method you choose: 

1. Dumb Indoor trainer, with this option you'll need a speed / cadence sensor on top of your GPS. Just note that this option will only give you around 250 - 300W of resistance and it will not give you the best workout
  2. A Smart indoor trainer with a subscription to something like Zwift, Rouvy, Sufferfest. Depending on the PC / Laptop you want to use you may need an ANT+ dongle but Bluetooth does work on certain machines. This in my opinion is the best option but this does open up a lot of other variables, like if you only have a 29er MTB with a thru axle on the back wheel you'll need to get a direct drive trainer or you may want to get a dedicated bike to fit. This as you can imagine can become quite a pricey exercise and also a frustrating one  :cursing:. You will not need your GPS for this option, only the HR strap paired with the software.
  3. If you decide on rollers you'll need the same as in option 1. Just take note that knobbies and rollers will make a huge racket & rollers also require good balance  :whistling:

Morning Obi, welcome to the Hub. You will have three options depending on the method you choose: 

1. Dumb Indoor trainer, with this option you'll need a speed / cadence sensor on top of your GPS. Just note that this option will only give you around 250 - 300W of resistance and it will not give you the best workout
  2. A Smart indoor trainer with a subscription to something like Zwift, Rouvy, Sufferfest. Depending on the PC / Laptop you want to use you may need an ANT+ dongle but Bluetooth does work on certain machines. This in my opinion is the best option but this does open up a lot of other variables, like if you only have a 29er MTB with a thru axle on the back wheel you'll need to get a direct drive trainer or you may want to get a dedicated bike to fit. This as you can imagine can become quite a pricey exercise and also a frustrating one  :cursing:. You will not need your GPS for this option, only the HR strap paired with the software.
  3. If you decide on rollers you'll need the same as in option 1. Just take note that knobbies and rollers will make a huge racket & rollers also require good balance  :whistling:

You can actually use any type of trainer with a bike with a thru axle except you will need an adapter.

Hi Guys thanx for the feedback. I bought a garnin edge 500 second hand so only have the main unit. I am thinking of getting a set if rollers. I see sone people riding on rollers can measure their "distance" of the ride is that done by using a cadence sensor with the gps computer?

Hi Guys thanx for the feedback. I bought a garnin edge 500 second hand so only have the main unit. I am thinking of getting a set if rollers. I see sone people riding on rollers can measure their "distance" of the ride is that done by using a cadence sensor with the gps computer?

If you get a speed & cadence sensor the device will predict how fast you are going based on the size your wheel, so this can be used in conjunction with the rollers to log "distance".

Dumb Indoor trainer, with this option you'll need a speed / cadence sensor on top of your GPS. Just note that this option will only give you around 250 - 300W of resistance and it will not give you the best workout

Not sure I understand this statement?

A dumb trainer does not give a realistic feel and the resistance levels won't match anything a video or session will require. You will have to gauge your effort with only 5 levels of resistance (on certain trainers) and you will end up spinning out. 

Dumb Indoor trainer, with this option you'll need a speed / cadence sensor on top of your GPS. Just note that this option will only give you around 250 - 300W of resistance and it will not give you the best workout

Not sure I understand this statement?

My frame of reference for the comment was a dumb trainer I bought 2nd hand from someone back in 2012 or somewhere there, I regularly topped out even with gears  :whistling:. How times have changed  :D

Yes, I guess this is true with some trainers, my dumb trainer fortunately gives me quite a few levels of resistance, which paired with my gears gives me plenty - definitely more than 300W

• 3 months later...

I can’t zwift I hate it - kicker lasted 7kms but the road feeling was good

I ride the last hour of the TDF daily on an old mag trainer but I’m wondering if there is a better non smart wheel on trainer for a few mindless miles whilst watching racing ?

I ride the last hour of the TDF daily on an old mag trainer but I’m wondering if there is a better non smart wheel on trainer for a few mindless miles whilst watching racing ?

Saris Fluid 2 is probably one of the best non smart trainers.  Also if you do want to do Zwift, the trainer has a power power curve that Zwift and Rouvy use, you just flick gears to increase resistance.  You will need to add a speed and cadence sensor 

Edited by shaper

but I’m wondering if there is a better non smart wheel on trainer for a few mindless miles whilst watching racing ?

Rollers.

As mentioned, Saris/Cycleops Fluid2. No nonsense dumb trainer.

I have a Fluid 2, if you're just going to be using it as a dumb trainer its great. It has an exponential resistance curve so you won't run out of resistance, its quiet and built super sturdy.

If you do intend on giving Zwift a go at some stage though I'd advise against it. Its resistance changes with changes in temperature so the Zwift experience can charitably be described as "inconsistent".

If not, great trainer.