Silverback Slade Trail

mrJohan

So it will be good for xc races a few times a year with just lighter tyres?

Yes, as long as you aren't planning on winning any races.

It's a trail bike, not an XC race bike.

Don't compare the Slade to any form of XC hardtail, apples and oranges. Even compared to my relatively modern dual suspension XC bike the Slade is waaay more capable.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

snip

I nearly sold it a week or so ago, but the buyer was a bit short for it. When he left without the bike a sigh of relief came over me and I realised I don't want to sell it at all.

snip

you are admitting to doing things during lockdown that is gonna get someone on here's panties in a bunch  :ph34r:  ^_^ 

i'm assuming you went for a ride during the 3 hour exercise window ..smashing some local (within 5km) trails on that beatiful beast of yours.....when a random onlooker riding with a sizeable amount of cash on him saw you enjoying yourself so much....that he just HAD to buy it.

He stopped you and haggled his head off....but he was a few bucks short (because he bought an extra face mask on the way there)...and also, you didn't want to tke his crappy bike as collateral either  How would you make it down the double black diamond trail he stopped you on?

So you decided to rather not risk your life. He left as unhappy as he came, only able to imagine what it must feel like to catch that much air while doing a backflip.

You continued on you merry way....super relieved that you said no after beating your personal best down the trail and making it back home before 9am...

Edited by morneS555

you are admitting to doing things during lockdown that is gonna get someone on here's panties in a bunch :ph34r: ^_^

Lol I didn't even think of that admission of guilt :) masks were involved and we didn't shake hands... flame suit on I guess :D

Lol I didn't even think of that admission of guilt :) masks were involved and we didn't shake hands... flame suit on I guess :D

i edited my post....i forgot you told me the story over the phone... :whistling:

I agree with you on the slade but modern geometry xc/marathon HTs are quite capable, much much more than the older bone shakers with those steep head angles.

Ja but only up to a point. But that is like comparing a modern Hilux with a 1986 Hilux, while the slade is s Land Kroozer. The new Hilux is nice, but for it's purpose won't hold a candle up to the Kroozer.

Don't but a slade if you want to ride funrides, XCO races and do marathon rides.

Buy the slade if you plan to get rowdy, ride rock gardens, do jumps and do things that your wife will classify as stupid.

I nearly sold it a week or so ago, but the buyer was a bit short for it. When he left without the bike a sigh of relief came over me and I realised I don't want to sell it at all.

So you're not selling it. Good for you, bad for people looking for a bargain HT! Solid decision. 

So you're not selling it. Good for you, bad for people looking for a bargain HT! Solid decision. 

Nope, holding onto it. I have been on the HT for every ride so far in level 4, and I realised just how much I love it. My dual suspension XC bike it better for the trails I am riding at the moment, but it's no fun. The Enduro sled is just overkill. The Slade is that perfect mix of fun and efficiency. 

On the topic of the Slade

Is it worth going for the Slade Comp and upgrading components as you go along and finances allow it, or is the SR Suntour XCM34 Boost LO just horse sh$$ and a waste of time?

On the topic of the Slade

Is it worth going for the Slade Comp and upgrading components as you go along and finances allow it, or is the SR Suntour XCM34 Boost LO just horse sh$$ and a waste of time?

At the price I think it's worth it. I would pay that price for just the frame. I would stretch for the Trail if you can though, not much to replace there and it comes with a really nice fork.

At the price I think it's worth it. I would pay that price for just the frame. I would stretch for the Trail if you can though, not much to replace there and it comes with a really nice fork.

My gat juk vir een.

But on the other hand I want to wait and see if the GT Zaskar LT are going to be available locally.

I do agree that the Revelation is a really nice fork

• 2 years later...

Old thread but here's my two cents. I live in Germany and bought a Slade trail in 2020. It's an epic all round bike. It's more than capable of riding high alpine trails to bike packing to xc races and for commutes.

Component wise it's probably the best bang for buck. RS Revelation fork, XT derailleur, SLX shifter, tubeless ready Stans rims, maxxis tyres and raceface cranks, dropper post, torque caps front and rear, shimano deore 2 piston brakes (not the most high end but it just works). It was delivered almost fully assembled. Just had to bolt on the handlebar and put the front wheel on. Gears were set perfectly, brakes were bled, even the tyres had air in. Maintenance is a breeze. After 2 years worth of moderate to hard riding I haven't touched the gears or brakes. Wish I could say the same of my €4600 enduro bike.

December 2021 I bought a Santa Cruz tallboy cc frame with the idea to put the Slade's components on the SC frame. However, two weeks after I bought it, I sent the frame back and kept riding the Slade. Don't get me wrong, the SC tallboy is a great bike but the Slade is just epic and just as capable if not more. No need to worry about a carbon frame, pivots and rear suspension. 

Some upgrades I've done ( because of personal preference) 20mm riser bar, new debon air airspring and RC2.1 damper (don't think the damper was worth the upgrade), 4 piston brakes for the Alps, a 200mm rotor upfront and 180mm in the rear.

Highly recommended.IMG_20220830_204436.jpg.b973a8552a655640ba7524c4faef08de.jpg

3 hours ago, Chucker1 said:

Old thread but here's my two cents. I live in Germany and bought a Slade trail in 2020. It's an epic all round bike. It's more than capable of riding high alpine trails to bike packing to xc races and for commutes.

Component wise it's probably the best bang for buck. RS Revelation fork, XT derailleur, SLX shifter, tubeless ready Stans rims, maxxis tyres and raceface cranks, dropper post, torque caps front and rear, shimano deore 2 piston brakes (not the most high end but it just works). It was delivered almost fully assembled. Just had to bolt on the handlebar and put the front wheel on. Gears were set perfectly, brakes were bled, even the tyres had air in. Maintenance is a breeze. After 2 years worth of moderate to hard riding I haven't touched the gears or brakes. Wish I could say the same of my €4600 enduro bike.

December 2021 I bought a Santa Cruz tallboy cc frame with the idea to put the Slade's components on the SC frame. However, two weeks after I bought it, I sent the frame back and kept riding the Slade. Don't get me wrong, the SC tallboy is a great bike but the Slade is just epic and just as capable if not more. No need to worry about a carbon frame, pivots and rear suspension. 

Some upgrades I've done ( because of personal preference) 20mm riser bar, new debon air airspring and RC2.1 damper (don't think the damper was worth the upgrade), 4 piston brakes for the Alps, a 200mm rotor upfront and 180mm in the rear.

Highly recommended.IMG_20220830_204436.jpg.b973a8552a655640ba7524c4faef08de.jpg

This was my first choice for a new-for-me HT after a fifteen minute ride at a bike park on a friendly gent's L Slade Trail.  I spent half a year frequently checking many online sites for an XL, but alas…  Great choice!

Edited by justinafrika

Can highly recommend this bike, bought it from a hubber in stock trim.

It's excellent on techy descents,  handles black trails with ease and with its slack head angle, still peddles well.

Maintenance free bike and I also upgraded to 4 pot brakes for the longer descents 

Edited by MajG