• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder which half it is going to be?

Or perhaps Bloem to Bloem.

Do you perhaps have more details?

Hmm.. I don't know if that's a steep entry fee, but from what I read all your nutrition needs are met. 

And it seems gravel bikes are allowed. 

Hmm..

To those folks who are based in GP it's ideal. Starts and ends in the Cradle at Bidon Bistro. 

But my thing is, how can the organizers be so confident that their events are going to go ahead?  

I think it is a very reasonable - I am very keen to do this one (if I do more research) 

Hmm.. I don't know if that's a steep entry fee, but from what I read all your nutrition needs are met. 

And it seems gravel bikes are allowed. 

Hmm..

I see this has been added into the rules for the Munga Grit:

"Where two riders cross the line at the same time and be eligible for a prize, the race director will decide the method to determine in which order the riders place."

So no joint winners.

I see this has been added into the rules for the Munga Grit:

"Where two riders cross the line at the same time and be eligible for a prize, the race director will decide the method to determine in which order the riders place."

So no joint winners.

Imagine crossing the line together thinking you are going to sing Kumbaya and then the organiseer flips a coin to find the winner.

Imagine crossing the line together thinking you are going to sing Kumbaya and then the organiseer flips a coin to find the winner.

I thought I read, "flip them the bird and give first prize to third place ".

To those folks who are based in GP it's ideal. Starts and ends in the Cradle at Bidon Bistro. 

But my thing is, how can the organizers be so confident that their events are going to go ahead?  

My thought exactly, I am not happy to pay in and train only to be let down............next year !

I was trying to do a quick costing on two entries - bearing in mind we have not done such a long unsupported race before. (Longest was a 400km audax which was about 24 hours.)

1. Entry fees - assume I wait to see if race goes ahead -              R9k

2. Dynamo Hubs -                                                                          R10k

3. Bike packing bags                                                                      R10k

4. Other                                                                                           R???

I know that # 2 and 3 are long term equipment items but it does seem extravagant for these uncertain times.                                                         

I was trying to do a quick costing on two entries - bearing in mind we have not done such a long unsupported race before. (Longest was a 400km audax which was about 24 hours.)

1. Entry fees - assume I wait to see if race goes ahead -              R9k

2. Dynamo Hubs -                                                                          R10k

3. Bike packing bags                                                                      R10k

4. Other                                                                                           R???

I know that # 2 and 3 are long term equipment items but it does seem extravagant for these uncertain times.                                                         

As you point out, you certainly wouldn't need  #2 and #3 for this event. The extreme endurance lights have more than enough battery power for 2 nights in that area, and bikepacking bags wouldn't be needed with so many water tables. A camelbak to carry a jacket in??

Edited by Dusty

Horses for courses I'm sure, but what are your thoughts of this vs 36ONE (haven't done it, just wondering)?

My assumption is that the 36ONE route is a bit harder but this is longer.

As you point out, you certainly wouldn't need  #2 and #3 for this event. The extreme endurance lights have more than enough battery power for 2 nights in that area, and bikepacking bags wouldn't be needed with so many water tables. A camelbak to carry a jacket in??

I'm no super endurance event expert, but sure bike packing bags will be necessary? How and where do you sleep? 

I'm no super endurance event expert, but sure bike packing bags will be necessary? How and where do you sleep? 

I may be wrong, but I think a couple are farms/water points along the way provide accomodation if you wish to sleep.

They seem to be selling the race a  "need to carry nothing" event.