Munga Grit

Baracuda

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Thinking of doing the ±170km JHB mini munga in a couple weeks time but probably starting from Bidon (so perhaps only ±150km).

Has anyone done these routes? Wondering what they are like in terms of safety. There will be 2-3 of us but I haven't ridden all of those roads before.

Also, in terms of grabbing more water along the way. I can see we pass close to Magaliesburg iteslf but that's pretty early in the ride...anything else anyone knows of?

This is the route I'm referring to: https://www.komoot.com/tour/233113791/zoom

post-23819-0-05748200-1599466914_thumb.png

Thinking of doing the ±170km JHB mini munga in a couple weeks time but probably starting from Bidon (so perhaps only ±150km).

Has anyone done these routes? Wondering what they are like in terms of safety. There will be 2-3 of us but I haven't ridden all of those roads before.

Also, in terms of grabbing more water along the way. I can see we pass close to Magaliesburg iteslf but that's pretty early in the ride...anything else anyone knows of?

done them many many times in groupd and solo. even dit our night ride there. just 2 of us.

No hassels

Re water water points and you can carry enough with you.

thats the 10 hour route

done them many many times in groupd and solo. even dit our night ride there. just 2 of us.

No hassels

Re water water points and you can carry enough with you.

thats the 10 hour route

Thanks

Can I ask a stupid question?

From your komoot link:

Expert gravel ride. Very good fitness required. Mostly paved surfaces. 

So, paved, gravel, what is this ride?

From your komoot link:

If you look at the Komoot detail on the surfaces you'll see its mainly gravel with some tarred sections inbetween. I don;t think on a km basis its mainly tarred though. Perhaps 50/50 Not sure how they get to their summary

Look at the bar right at the bottom of the pic. Brown=gravel Grey=road

post-23819-0-97813800-1599720413_thumb.png

Edited by travisza

From your komoot link:

Gravel, only the ride out of (and into) BB is tar, except for the short part on the R24 & R500.  I guess approx 31 Km tar, of which ~26km (13/13) is the out and in part.

Ito safety - I did the Aug series (except for the 12h) and I never felt unsafe or threatened. 

Water : you might probably be able to get some items at Syferbult, at approx 92 Km, but if the water point is at the same pos (~90km) again this stop might not be required.  

Edited by Pieter-za

Did the Munga routes multiple times, last month did the 10hr & doing the 15hr next weekend. Mostly gravel & generally safe. Lots of quiet district roads. Re water: a cameback & 2 bottles will be more than enough. There’s enough houses to stop & ask for water if any issues.

Did the Munga routes multiple times, last month did the 10hr & doing the 15hr next weekend. Mostly gravel & generally safe. Lots of quiet district roads. Re water: a cameback & 2 bottles will be more than enough. There’s enough houses to stop & ask for water if any issues.

Thanks. Looks like we won't have time to get out there this weekend but they are definitely on my list. Quiet district roads sounds like a dream.

• 3 weeks later...

Will we be able to dotwatch the Munga Grit this weekend like we usually do with The Munga? If yes, anybody got a link please?

from the desk of the routeguy.... If the weather turns out to be of "biblical proportions" then i guess we know who to blame/thank

This route has been 10 months in the making, and to say that is is a labour of love is not to stray too far from the truth. With the messed up state of the world in the last year, travel and social interaction has been highly challenging, so this route has been chewed, clawed, hewn and thrashed from the bushveld. That is to say the finished work has not come about by chance. If I am an artist, then this is my painting. It is no easy task to put brush to canvas when the glimpse of the final masterpiece is but a few strokes of veld and valley made fuzzy by a confused world. But the farmers have been incredible and the Lord’s favour without end. Thus, I am proud of what I give to you. You will not like all of it. Some of you will find cause for fault and others flattery. Know that there is not ten meters of this route that I have not consciously thought about from your perspective. What would be better, safer, more thrilling. It is not in the Munga’s DNA to stuff you around for the sake of stuffing you around. The land has plenty authority to do that on it’s own. If you end up on a scratchy piece, it’s because we are obsessed with safety. Tar roads and urban areas are not our favourites. Thus, we have sought the quiet place mostly. The place where your spirit might wake from a deep sleep and see the world for the first time. My hope is that most of you will find this route like a book to your soul, with each new page revealing something mysterious but thrilling. If all else fails, enjoy the ride!