Slowbee the diverge is exactly what you need and I’m

Just about the furthest from a Spaz fanboy anyone could be - it’s a great bike

you have terrible friends 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Campsites, hence the home-made fork bags carrying a tent & sleeping bag. I normally take shelter under my credit card, much easier! Got persuaded by the friends I rode with that you have to camp in the Cederberg..

how did the home made fork bags hold up ? What straps did you use and did they damage or scratch the fork?

how did the home made fork bags hold up ? What straps did you use and did they damage or scratch the fork?

I really do need to write that trip report..

My fork has water bottle cage mounts, so I manufactured some plastic brackets using sewer piping (unused..) & bolted those on.

I then purchased lightweight drybags and taped them up to a more long & thin profile.

Bags were then attached to the brackets using webbing straps I got made.

I taped the forks where the straps could run just in case.

Think it cost me about R550 for the complete setup (both bags) - drybags were R200 each, being the majority of the cost.

Rather surprisingly (I'm not the most gifted DIYer) they held up really well. 4 days of corrugations did cause one small hole to be worn through the one bag, but that was caused by me not checking the straps were tight enough to prevent chafe on the one day.971a401207075aa5a17380038d8f9aaa.jpg663f387698fc498502788356628d67c3.jpg336fd91b4f97c94b8953a58255a96c95.jpg

I'm taking my Karate Monkey with me to Kyrgyzstan later this year. Planning on putting a 1x11 drivetrain on with a 30t Oval upfront and a 11-46 on the rear.

You better darn post pics Mr Thugster!

Lurker, why did you go with the sequia (apologies on spelling) as opposed to a diverge (even the alu ones)?

Lurker, why did you go with the sequia (apologies on spelling) as opposed to a diverge (even the alu ones)?

I was looking for a steel frame gravel touring bike & Benky just happened to be unloading some of the Sequoia's that he'd been using for his KZN tours company & the price was certainly right!

Besides price, I wanted a bike that I don't have to be precious about when touring. Carbon definitely doesn't fit that requirement (my opinion). Reviews seemed to suggest aluminium gives a much harsher ride than steel.

To me the Diverge is more of a Specialized road racing gravel bike to be seen on....whereas the Sequoia has old school classic style.

If I was looking for a winter road bike to do some gravel races on, then sure something like the Diverge might've got a look in.

Sequoia is a land cruiser, Diverge is a Hilux.

I reckon wrap the Diverge in vynil (DIY or fancy kit) and go riding with it. You will be doing less full on touring style rides than you think.

I reckon wrap the Diverge in vynil (DIY or fancy kit) and go riding with it. You will be doing less full on touring style rides than you think.

I'd say the Diverge is more a Fortuner...common and less practical than a Hilux...but it climbs pavements well ;-)

Yep, hence the questions. Always nice to get other peoples views.

As I said before, everyone has to make compromises somewhere. I am banned from N+1 for a while.

I need to keep my man card for other more important plays.

Is that a Jones bar? If so, how are you liking it?

Cheap at the price!  Best bar I have used, (By far)

I had the same cassette in Kyrgyzstan when we went and I used a 34 Oval up front as I was confident that I could ride most routes with that. Big mistake. Factor in altitude and not so much. The 30 is a great idea and if you could get a 50 on the back it would be even better. :w00t:

11-50 cassette delivered this morning.

30t Oval on its way.