14" Kids Bike

Jako De Wet

Hi there Hubbers

So my almost 4 year started riding her bike without her training wheels (proud dad!)

I wish I went the balance bike route, but any case.

She is currently on a 16" El Cheapo from Makro. It is way to big for her. I want to get her a decent 14", but I can't seem to find them? I tried the classifieds, Takealot and CWCycles?

Any other places I should be looking at?

Thanks

Hi jako, i made the same mistake with my son. Just some advice, i am not too sure if you riding with or jogging with her? I would perhaps make a sacrifice or 2,by jogging with her. I wish i could post a pic or vid, but i have no idea how...wot I did was to build some confidence was to take a nice and strong broom stick and just stick it in the back thru that little gap behind the seat... You then get to controll/ help with the balance and pedaling.. I know this is a long msg but every single person would stop and say they wish they thought of that... Took my soon no more than about 10 times from NOT BEING able to cycle.. To now he can cycle on his 20inch next to me

Yea figured out how to upload...so yea I just kept the 16 inch at the time.(slightly to big) and lowered the seat completely...after 3 or 4 rides he didn't even realise I wasn't holding the stick anymore.

post-85344-0-17068400-1589549159_thumb.jpg

Edited by Focusspeed1

Focus, that is awesome!

I jogged with her this morning, plan is to cycle together once she is stable enough.

That broom trick looks like it would do the job, definitely going to try it.

Yea since i cycle, jogging is an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE...HATE EVERY METER OF IT. but i sacrificed a few outings just for my boy to get use to it. And ya in that way you can really go uphill or at certain speeds if u really wana get a proper jog in... Then slowly start leaving the stick... Without her knowing. Went down the beach strip think last year and like i said every single person i past sed brilliant CHEAP IDEA. instead of buying this bike and that bike...

• 4 months later...

Hi all, 

My daughter's 4th birthday is coming up and I'm researching a bike for her first pedal bike. Her inseam is around 41cm so looks like 14" wheels is the way to go, my main concern is brakes. I've seen the early rider bikes, they look awesome, I love the brakes, wheels and light weight of the bikes but paying around 7k for a bike that will go to school once a week and may/may not return is a bit steep. Any other alternatives? 

Cheers

Check out Frog Bikes. They have a SA distributer. Awesome bikes for kids. My Boy road it from 3 years old. Yes a bit expensive, but very light weight and cool features like NO backpedal and handle bar stoppers.

I cannot stress how important bike size is. There are 8 kids of similar age in our street, none could ride before 5-6 becuase their 16” were just to big and heavy

Hi all, 

My daughter's 4th birthday is coming up and I'm researching a bike for her first pedal bike. Her inseam is around 41cm so looks like 14" wheels is the way to go, my main concern is brakes. I've seen the early rider bikes, they look awesome, I love the brakes, wheels and light weight of the bikes but paying around 7k for a bike that will go to school once a week and may/may not return is a bit steep. Any other alternatives? 

Cheers

Check out Signal and Avalanche. The Signal has Tektro V-brakes and the lightest "MTB" type 16" that i could find. The Avalanche is just good value for money. My son started on a 14" Avalanche Bolt and now he is on a Signal 16".

Don't know why but the "big" brands all do coaster brakes for the smaller size bikes, and i just find that stupid. So in those sizes avoid Giant, Scott, Trek and the Big S.

Edited by l4y3rcake

Hi there Hubbers

So my almost 4 year started riding her bike without her training wheels (proud dad!)

I wish I went the balance bike route, but any case.

She is currently on a 16" El Cheapo from Makro. It is way to big for her. I want to get her a decent 14", but I can't seem to find them? I tried the classifieds, Takealot and CWCycles?

Any other places I should be looking at?

Thanks

only saw this now, had exactly the same issue going from 12-16, so ended up trading the 16 in for a 14" Avalanche. did the trick.

Hi all, 

Cheers

the v-brakes all suck for kids at the mid level. but you are essentially buying a makro bike at R1500 so what do you expect.  I had an old set of Avid SD3 v-brakes, that is obviously for an adult. BUT, they work great on a kids bike. the parralellogram adjustment works properly, and the reach adjust on the levers allows you to pull them in close to the grips. most importantly, you can set them tight so it doesn't need gorilla claws. the real issue then becomes the wheels. keep them trued is important, but not so easy

Can recommend Isla or Frog bikes for the 14" ones. Either new from distributor or they sometimes pop up on facebook market place etc.

Any local distributors? All sites I get seem to be UK based?