Specialized Epic Comp Evo vs Silverback Stratos AL 1

KK

Having an EVO I’d go for the EVO, it really rides nicely.

Also prefer the brain type rear shock and proven frame design. However not everyone likes the brain system, it does have a different riding sensation when it transitions between “locked out” to active.

The EVO color options are nicer

The Stratus frame looks a bit like a welding shop challenge (how many angles can you create)

It does have better brakes (Shimano Devore) imo, don’t like those SRAM TL,s on the Spaz.

Which bike would you guys recommend? Silverback seems to have a better shock and groupset? Silverback on special for R28,000, Specialized on special for R35,000.

Specialized Epic Comp Evo:

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/epic-comp-evo/p/171236?color=264107-171236&searchText=90320-5802

Silverback Stratos AL 1:

https://silverbacklab.com/bike-model/mountainbikes/stratos-al-1/

Evo without a doubt. Also has a far better secondhand resale value. It is the Hilux of the cycling world ????????

Having an EVO I’d go for the EVO, it really rides nicely.

Also prefer the brain type rear shock and proven frame design. However not everyone likes the brain system, it does have a different riding sensation when it transitions between “locked out” to active.

The EVO color options are nicer

The Stratus frame looks a bit like a welding shop challenge (how many angles can you create)

It does have better brakes (Shimano Devore) imo, don’t like those SRAM TL,s on the Spaz.

Also just found this Scott Spark 900 Expert SX:

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/scott-spark-900-expert-sx

Seems great value, but again, compared to the Epic Evo?

My ranking ito what I would pick.

1. Silverback Stratos

2. Epic Evo

3. Spark SX.

The geometry on the Stratos and Epic Evo are both great. The spez Brain is a Love/hate thing. I personally dont like it, but it is still far better than the spark. The spark needs that twinlock for a reason.

The Stratos has better spec than the Epic , the spark has abysmal spec. A RS Judy at that price point is eina.

If you want to do races, funrides, marathons and and stage races and is competitive,bthe epic Evo will be the faster bike. If you want to ride trails and have fun, the Stratos will be the more capable bike ito technical riding.

Een man se lelik is 'n ander man se vrou, so what I think of the looks should not sway your opinion.

My ranking ito what I would pick.

1. Silverback Stratos

2. Epic Evo

3. Spark SX.

The geometry on the Stratos and Epic Evo are both great. The spez Brain is a Love/hate thing. I personally dont like it, but it is still far better than the spark. The spark needs that twinlock for a reason.

The Stratos has better spec than the Epic , the spark has abysmal spec. A RS Judy at that price point is eina.

If you want to do races, funrides, marathons and and stage races and is competitive,bthe epic Evo will be the faster bike. If you want to ride trails and have fun, the Stratos will be the more capable bike ito technical riding.

Een man se lelik is 'n ander man se vrou, so what I think of the looks should not sway your opinion.

+1 on this

Also just found this Scott Spark 900 Expert SX:

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/scott-spark-900-expert-sx

Seems great value, but again, compared to the Epic Evo?

I am a Scott fanboy .... just LOVE the twin-lockout.  But it is much like the brain on the Spec - a personal preferance.

I dont like the look of that Silverback frame ... "too busy" with all the angles.  BUT, it has the best group set of the three bikes.  Being able to hold two water bottles may be a decider for many riders ....

The Spez .... Just too much bad press about the NX ....  But if you buy it with the view that this is a consumable item, then maybe it is a decent purchase ....  That said, ask those that KNOW the brand about the rims, hubs, etc on this bike - is it proper Spez stuff, or entry level that may be maintenance intensive ?   This is NOT a jab as "Spez", just school fees from buying entry level full sus on another brand .... once the maintenance bills started piling up the maintenance shops were quick to point out why that model was the entry level and priced the way it was ....  Again, if you go in to buy the best frame and suspension, knowing that you may in time replace wheels and drive train, fine ... informed buyer and all that.

The Scott .... I am a fanboy .... had good service from my 940.  But seems this model might have been down specced just a bit ......

Have you looked at Giant Trance ?  I dont know enough of these to really provide advise, just know it is OFTEN suggested in these threads.  Speak to Julien at Giant Durbanville, SURE he will do you a nice deal - 087 222 8312 

Edited by ChrisF

For every day riding the Spaz Evo. It's way lighter than the Silverback or Scott and for the price much better speced than the Scott. I am a Scott fan but lowest spec you can go for would be the 940.

Are you looking for a light trail bike or a slightly more aggressive marathon bike?

If #1, have a look at the Stumpjumper ST range as well. Alu for R 30k with a Recon fork, carbon for R 40k with a Fox 34.

And ride a Brain before you commit, either you like it or you don't. And be aware that only Spez can service the Brain for you...

You'll need to test ride and get a feel for the bikes. This is the only real way to put the technical numbers into perspective.