Short GX Eagle Chain Safe?

DogMTB

I purchased a new chain and shortened it too much (due to embarrassing reasons that we shall not discuss :whistling: ).

I adjusted the b-tension screw to 15mm as required and everything is shifting perfectly.

Is there any reason for concern to ride with a short chain? Will it create more wear or possibly damage my derailleur?

From what I read online it seems to be fine as long as (with bottoming out the rear suspension):

1) The jockey wheel does not contact the biggest ring

2) The cage still has a lot of play available (I see it even goes past horizontal)

3) There is a slight bend in the chain

Here is an image:

BzK2E30.jpg

Is that a hardtail or dual suspension bike? If it's a hardtail you'll be okay. If it's a dual suspension you are going to snap that deraillieur off as soon as you cycle through the suspension.

From the looks of it that is a Scale.

Is that a hardtail or dual suspension bike? If it's a hardtail you'll be okay. If it's a dual suspension you are going to snap that deraillieur off as soon as you cycle through the suspension.

From the looks of it that is a Scale.

Dual suspension, Spark.

These things happen ....  :whistling:

Safer to start with a chain that is just too long, we ended with this after following the typical approach -

post-110956-0-07540800-1589685877_thumb.jpg

From here it was easy to remove two links -

post-110956-0-96161600-1589685945_thumb.jpg

And the optimal length, with the least strain on the derailure springs -

post-110956-0-06901400-1589685999_thumb.jpg

Having already gone too short .... As MeRidaMyBicycle said, add in a few links and another quick link.

Edited by ChrisF

Awesome thanks everyone!

I'm going to play it safe and use some extra quick links.