Garmin 1030 - 2 bikes - Expert Advice Needed

LLTHB

Hi to all.

Just purchased a 2nd bike.

I have a Garmin 1030 and a Garmin Varia rear radar light.

To move the Garmin between the bikes all I need is a 2nd cadence sensor?? and a 2nd means of mounting the 1030 and the rear light?

I do not use the axle mounted speed sensor that came in the 1030 box. Am I supposed to? or do I just rely on the units GPS to give me speed and distance.

What else do I need to purchase to make the move between the bikes seamless.

Hoping to take the 1030 adn light from the charging station straight to the bike for the day, click in and ride.

Please give me any tips and advice, I find the 1030 quite complex and not really intuitive.

Cheers. Howard.

Hi to all.

To move the Garmin between the bikes all I need is a 2nd cadence sensor?? and a 2nd means of mounting the 1030 and the rear light?

I do not use the axle mounted speed sensor that came in the 1030 box. Am I supposed to? or do I just rely on the units GPS to give me speed and distance.

Hoping to take the 1030 adn light from the charging station straight to the bike for the day, click in and ride.

Please give me any tips and advice, I find the 1030 quite complex and not really intuitive.

Cheers. Howard.

TBH i never fit the speed sensors. GPS is simpler and integrated so you dont end up changing batteries and its accurate. Unless you ride in dense forests for 90% of the time. Not sure about cadence but if you just go in to the add sensors section when you have additional sensors it normally finds them. Otherwise do some googling as there are lots of help videos.

You only need a cadence sensor (if cadence us important) and a handle bar mount for the Garmin unit. Use GPS for speed.

Will need a rear mount for the varia.

I bought from eBay it was around 15 quid an now it’s seamless to take from my winter bike an plug on summer bike and vice versa.

An an additional out front mount for 1030 unless one of the bikes u use the handlebar mounted mount.

Edited by IceCreamMan

I just have two out front mounts for the garmin. You would need a second light mount, Ebay is good for that. 

I have two profiles as have cadence on the road bike but not on the gravel bike, so wont have that screen on the gravel profile. 

Hi to all.

Cheers. Howard.

Hi Howard,

In the box you will find a Low out front mount for theHead unit as well as two mounts with various thickness rubber feet a and bands to mount on the head unit on the handle bar or stem.

depending on what type of bikes you have these three options should cover your needs. If you need to mount the head unit in oher ways because maybe you have lights blocking the bars or a Lefty then post pics and I'll advise further.

In the box is also a HR monitor, Cadence sensor and a speed sensor. If you want cadence and don't have a power meter then you will need the cadence sensor.

You connect it to the Edge 1030 in the sensor menu - cadence and then search for it after fitting and spinning the cranks.

The varia comes with two different mounts in the box if I'm not mistaken? or is it one mount with two different rubber feet; one for round posts and the other for aero posts

Speed sensor goes on the hub, preferably the front hub so that the signal has as little blockage as possible to the headunit.

You shouldn't need any extra mounts unless you have some set up or hardware challenges

Edited by DieselnDust

Hi Howard,

In the box you will find a Low out front mount for theHead unit as well as two mounts with various thickness rubber feet a and bands to mount on the head unit on the handle bar or stem.

depending on what type of bikes you have these three options should cover your needs. If you need to mount the head unit in oher ways because maybe you have lights blocking the bars or a Lefty then post pics and I'll advise further.

In the box is also a HR monitor, Cadence sensor and a speed sensor. If you want cadence and don't have a power meter then you will need the cadence sensor.

You connect it to the Edge 1030 in the sensor menu - cadence and then search for it after fitting and spinning the cranks.

The varia comes with two different mounts in the box if I'm not mistaken? or is it one mount with two different rubber feet; one for round posts and the other for aero posts

Speed sensor goes on the hub, preferably the front hub so that the signal has as little blockage as possible to the headunit.

You shouldn't need any extra mounts unless you have some set up or hardware challenges

My varia came with one mount and 2 feet. Aero an normal ‘feet. ‘

I just have two out front mounts for the garmin. You would need a second light mount, Ebay is good for that.

I have two profiles as have cadence on the road bike but not on the gravel bike, so wont have that screen on the gravel profile.

I use a single Garmin mount with a light under the Garmin. You can get attachments to do that. Like for a go pro or something. Works well

Hi Howard,

shot Diesel n Dust. So I just need a 2nd cadence sensor and will use one of the Vario mounting blocks with the spare flush mounted bayonet fitting. I have also ordered a second Out front Mount for the 1030.

Hi to all. Ok cadence sensors sorted out.

Now I need another Varia light mount for the rear light.

Cannot use the other options and rather poorly, garmin did not drill a hole in the light to attach a safety lanyard so the fitting you use must be correct., or risk losing the whole unit.

Who are the Garmin agents in SA that I can make 100% sure they know what my needs are, then I can order through a local bike shop.

Hi to all. Ok cadence sensors sorted out.

Now I need another Varia light mount for the rear light.

Cannot use the other options and rather poorly, garmin did not drill a hole in the light to attach a safety lanyard so the fitting you use must be correct., or risk losing the whole unit.

Who are the Garmin agents in SA that I can make 100% sure they know what my needs are, then I can order through a local bike shop.

There are 2 versions of Varia mounts. 

The link below indicates the one i use

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories-nc/garmin-varia-universal-seat-post-quarter-turn-o-ring-mount/11146717.html?switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&utm_source=AWin-477705&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=AffiliateWin%7CFeed&affil=awin&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shoptail.eu%2F&utm_term=Direct+Linking&utm_source=AWin-477705&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=AffiliateWin&awc=3977_1589900896_bda2f194bf0e8eafee629c7adf5891e6

Where you bought the 1030 should be able to supply an additional mount kit.

Are you currently in Prince Albert ?

Speak to Arno at Prince Albert Cycles.

He may well be able to rig up something for you, failing which he will have all the contacts in place to order in the parts you may need.

sure beats trying to deal with the desk jockeys at Navworld .....

Hello to all. Chaps Arno is the king, we do nothing except through him.

But stuff like this he reccomends we do the leg work and buy online. No margin for him and a mission of modern interwebs n rubbish he prefers to avoid.

Certainly if you need anything cycling related in Prince Albert then Arno is "The Man!"