Cycle Lab

A cycling shop and add or detract from the cycling experience, i am sure we all have stories to tell, i share mine.

1. Take bike for a service, choose a pair of bar ends, ask mechanic to fit, he replies that he has a pair in the work shop, these are fitted foc Cycle Lab Fourways.

2. Want to purchase a pair of MTB shoes that are on special, no stock, shop will call me when in stock, i pay for these as i wan't to ensure i get them at the sale price, when i visit later to collect, the system shows that I have already collected, shoes was booked out on my cell, definitely not me, i was at work on this day, branch manager will investigate, get a call 2 days later, matter resolved, they courier the shoes to my house - Cycle Lab Lynnwood.

3. I negotiate discount on a Stratos AL 2 last week in March, tells salesman i need to think about it for a few days (needs to soft talk wife), then lock down happens, CL drops the price of Merida 120-600 by R 10 000 during lo

ck down, i purchase, order is assigned to Boksburg branch, i visit to collect after lock down, it turns out size M can not accommodate a water bottel in the triangle (Merida ?), tell them i am no longer interested in Merida, want to purchase the Stratos, problem - list price is R 4 000 more than what i negotiated at Fourways branch 5 weeks ago, they call Fourways to confirm, no problem, discount price by R 4 000.

Boksburg does the basic foc set up, no master bike fitter at the smaller Boksburg branch though (i have an issue with left knee pain, I call Bradley Potgieter at Fourways (master bike fitter, pro rider), no problem, come through, i will have a look. The cleat fitment turns into a complete bike fitment, walk away almost 2 hours later, fee - NIL

Thank You Cycle Lab.

A cycling shop and add or detract from the cycling experience, i am sure we all have stories to tell, i share mine.

1. Take bike for a service, choose a pair of bar ends, ask mechanic to fit, he replies that he has a pair in the work shop, these are fitted foc Cycle Lab Fourways.

2. Want to purchase a pair of MTB shoes that are on special, no stock, shop will call me when in stock, i pay for these as i wan't to ensure i get them at the sale price, when i visit later to collect, the system shows that I have already collected, shoes was booked out on my cell, definitely not me, i was at work on this day, branch manager will investigate, get a call 2 days later, matter resolved, they courier the shoes to my house - Cycle Lab Lynnwood.

3. I negotiate discount on a Stratos AL 2 last week in March, tells salesman i need to think about it for a few days (needs to soft talk wife), then lock down happens, CL drops the price of Merida 120-600 by R 10 000 during lo

ck down, i purchase, order is assigned to Boksburg branch, i visit to collect after lock down, it turns out size M can not accommodate a water bottel in the triangle (Merida ?), tell them i am no longer interested in Merida, want to purchase the Stratos, problem - list price is R 4 000 more than what i negotiated at Fourways branch 5 weeks ago, they call Fourways to confirm, no problem, discount price by R 4 000.

Boksburg does the basic foc set up, no master bike fitter at the smaller Boksburg branch though (i have an issue with left knee pain, I call Bradley Potgieter at Fourways (master bike fitter, pro rider), no problem, come through, i will have a look. The cleat fitment turns into a complete bike fitment, walk away almost 2 hours later, fee - NIL

Thank You Cycle Lab.

Glad to hear this is a call out and that they helped you. Normally people come here to complain only :-)

Wow... thats nice to blow wind when its a from the tail! See what I did there< 

Go CycleLab, I was there today and they were closed but still allowed me to run in and get some gloves... second 'tail wind' . :D

I still miss the days when they were in Paulhof (anybody?) and we'd all go to the track to train with Andrew.

Also Andrew was building the business then and was very hands on!

I hated cycle lab with a passion, had one too many snot nosed little punks on the sales floor and super arrogant management. (Fourways branch)

The Lynnwood store opened up not far from me and I went in to browse, what a difference!

It’s great store, super friendly bunch and always helpful.

Edited by Markellis

I still miss the days when they were in Paulhof (anybody?) and we'd all go to the track to train with Andrew.

Also Andrew was building the business then and was very hands on!

Yip, bought my first bike after returning to cycling; a De Rosa Merak from Andrew and 7 laps of Kyalami was as good an interval workout you could wish for Edited by eddy

All businesses are only as good as there client interface.

Good people go a long way to ensuring a pleasant experience.

But even good people can have off days.

So accept the good with the bad.

I always steered clear of Cycle Lab as I believed that I would get a better, more personalised experience/service from the smaller LBS types . That has not been my experience - perhaps I never went to the right LBS but I gave up trying to find the right one after many misses. I am now a very happy Cycle Lab (Fourways) "regular".

Also a shout-out to CL - I received great service :) 

Thanks guys, will shop from you again! 

I've always found the sales staff to be rather helpful at the Fourways branch.

the fact that i know more about most things is not their fault (i research everything for weeks extensively before i buy, it's part of the fun of buying a new "thing")

my only gripe with CL is the pricing is always higher than others selling the same product.

its that reason alone i only buy from CL if i am desperate for something.

ie need more bombs or a tube or GU for an upcoming race.

the bigger stuff i alway google and research and find the best price - often with shipping included.

this lockdown sale was extremely good.

reminiscent of their first big sale. real savings were available.

hats off to CL for this.

most of the CL "normal" sales are basically discounting stock down to what other stores were charging for the same goods.

Edited by Furbz

Also had some good service from CL Lynnwood, item had to be ordered and the staff followed up.  So happiness.

I also had a great experience with Cycle lab Woodmead ordered a conversion kit for my bike, they didn't have the part and ordered from supplier, they kept me informed regularly on the progress of my order, was a pleasure to deal with them.

So CL decided to deliver my idt this morning without the Ant+ dongle I ordered along with it.

Don't know if I should be happy or sad.

Live chat assistant indicated no stock of dongles.

So CL decided to deliver my idt this morning without the Ant+ dongle I ordered along with it.

Don't know if I should be happy or sad.

Live chat assistant indicated no stock of dongles.

And Bluetooth isn't an option for you?

I've always found the sales staff to be rather helpful at the Fourways branch.

the fact that i know more about most things is not their fault (i research everything for weeks extensively before i buy, it's part of the fun of buying a new "thing")

my only gripe with CL is the pricing is always higher than others selling the same product.

its that reason alone i only buy from CL if i am desperate for something.

ie need more bombs or a tube or GU for an upcoming race.

the bigger stuff i alway google and research and find the best price - often with shipping included.

this lockdown sale was extremely good.

reminiscent of their first big sale. real savings were available.

hats off to CL for this.

most of the CL "normal" sales are basically discounting stock down to what other stores were charging for the same goods.

They will price match any item you are looking at.

And Bluetooth isn't an option for you?

Can probably get it to work via Bluetooth since my laptop has Bluetooth but it would be without HRM and Cadence as they are Ant+ only.