SRAM Eagle Cracked Chain Plates

boesman88

Has this happened to anyone else? +/-2000km of riding and 10+ of the chain plates have started cracking and shearing around the pins? I only noticed this after I snapped the chain. Bike is always kept in pristine condition.

Very annoying especially during lock down as I cannot replace it until shops open up :-|

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be tension failure. Tension failure is caused by improper engagement between the links and the sprockets and sometimes by the chain riding up on the sprocket teeth. Sometimes this can be caused by dirt and debris between the sprocket and the chain. This can create an overload condition which brings about the cracking that you are referring to. 

It could be tension failure. Tension failure is caused by improper engagement between the links and the sprockets and sometimes by the chain riding up on the sprocket teeth. Sometimes this can be caused by dirt and debris between the sprocket and the chain. This can create an overload condition which brings about the cracking that you are referring to. 

I hear you but doubt it for a couple of reasons - low mileage, 60/40 tar/trails split and in terms of dirt and debris - doubt this either since I clean my bike after every single ride and lube after every singe ride.  the drive train is always impeccable.   Having owned and still own many other bicycles, I have never experienced this.  Stretched chains and worn cogs yes, but cracked up chain plates - never.

of course you can replaced it today. Its an Essential item. Bike shops are open for essential repairs

Or order online, bike shops can sell anything and everything online.

I hear you but doubt it for a couple of reasons - low mileage, 60/40 tar/trails split and in terms of dirt and debris - doubt this either since I clean my bike after every single ride and lube after every singe ride. the drive train is always impeccable. Having owned and still own many other bicycles, I have never experienced this. Stretched chains and worn cogs yes, but cracked up chain plates - never.

Can you post some pics of the damage?

That would probably help, maybe there is something else at play that the bikehub sleuths can spot.

Edit : posted pics

Edited by Skylark

Time to start diluting the Cytomax in your bottles, before your power really breaks something...

haha - I wish that was the case!

haha - I wish that was the case!

which makes me think - they should rate chains by "maximum watts" - my occasional peak 5 second output I doubt would cause this much damage

Or order online, bike shops can sell anything and everything online.

yes and I am still waiting for my CWCycles order from 7 weeks ago... :-(

From seeing the pics and how extensive it is that's definitely some kind of manufacturing defect, maybe an issue with the tempering of the steel, perhaps too hard and therefore not able to flex and then fatigue cracks develop.

Edited by Skylark