Gravel Bike Drive Train

Parma

Hello,

I bought a Spez Diverge Comp to use as a road bike because i am comfortable with its geometry.

I need to make it a bit faster for the road.

Current:

Chain rings - 32 / 48T

Cassette - 11 / 34T

What would be required, change the chain rings to more teeth e.g 34 / 52T? or cassette to a 11 / 25T or 11 / 28T.

Without having to change the front and rear mechs.

Regards

Clinton

I would change the chainrings to compact 50-34 or semi compact, 52-36 that said, your cassette will have big jumps when shifting, so for smoother shifting go to a 11-32 or 11-28 depending on the terrain you will cycle in.

What crankset is on there now? The make will determine how easy it is.

Ill leave the cassette as is, this leaves a good range for you to work with.

11 at the back stays the same in all your options ... thus no change in top-end.

You need a larger ring in the front to gain top-end.

Jip, theoretically possible to gain 10% top-end by going for a 10 at the back, after getting a new hub .... much cheaper to go larger in the front ... just remember that you may need a longer chain.

I support the previous comments - you can go to a smaller cassette to get smoother transitions (11-28 should be enough given the 48/32 crank)

I am not sure you need to change the crank as the difference between a 48T and 52T chainring is not that much and most of us are not brave (stupid?) enough to gain from the extra teeth...

Hello,

I bought a Spez Diverge Comp to use as a road bike because i am comfortable with its geometry.

I need to make it a bit faster for the road.

Current:

Chain rings - 32 / 48T

Cassette - 11 / 34T

What would be required, change the chain rings to more teeth e.g 34 / 52T? or cassette to a 11 / 25T or 11 / 28T.

Without having to change the front and rear mechs.

Regards

Clinton

Hey Clinton

Good advice from the Hubbers

For info

My gravel bike was specced with the typical Cx set-up in 2015 - 46/36 and 11/32 cassette.  I also use it as a road bike (training), as well as real gravel travel

After 4 years on the bike - I would stay with the 11/32 and opt for a 48T for high speed work on the tar, and a 32T inside ring for the steep stuff on the gravel or tar.

The optimum gearing for a gravel bike depends on what you plan to do.  I am a roadie and use mine on the footpaths and side of the road until I meet my group and then I want to stay with them on the tar.  I have a 50/34 crank and a 28/11 cassette.  If you plan to stay with a bunch don't go less than 50 up front. 48 will not cut it in a race.  Remember it is not the difference between the 48 and 50 that you are up against. It is the big strong guys on the 53 (at around a 9% advantage) that you need to hang with.  My next cassette will be a 32/11, just to cover the times I do proper gravel, although I have managed everything on the 34/28 combination so far.  If you plan to do just gravel, more off road or touring your gearing needs will be different.

Do you genuinely spin out, often enough with 48-11?

Hi,

Thx for the response. Its not so much on the 11 / 48 combination. Its moving towards the 32 / 34 combination that the spin out happens. Unfortunately i am not that strong a rider to use 11 / 48 most the time. I ride better times with my purely road bike and would also like to achieve that with my Diverge if it is possible without to much expense.

What crankset is on there now? The make will determine how easy it is.

Ill leave the cassette as is, this leaves a good range for you to work with.

Thx for the response. Praxis Zayante crankset, 48/32T chainrings.

The optimum gearing for a gravel bike depends on what you plan to do.  I am a roadie and use mine on the footpaths and side of the road until I meet my group and then I want to stay with them on the tar.  I have a 50/34 crank and a 28/11 cassette.  If you plan to stay with a bunch don't go less than 50 up front. 48 will not cut it in a race.  Remember it is not the difference between the 48 and 50 that you are up against. It is the big strong guys on the 53 (at around a 9% advantage) that you need to hang with.  My next cassette will be a 32/11, just to cover the times I do proper gravel, although I have managed everything on the 34/28 combination so far.  If you plan to do just gravel, more off road or touring your gearing needs will be different.

Thx for the response. My cycling is all about fun and challenging my last time (i am past 5.0 by 0.2) on the specific route. I just feel that i need a little bigger chainrings to hang with my mates on the road. 

I support the previous comments - you can go to a smaller cassette to get smoother transitions (11-28 should be enough given the 48/32 crank)

I am not sure you need to change the crank as the difference between a 48T and 52T chainring is not that much and most of us are not brave (stupid?) enough to gain from the extra teeth...

Thx for the response.