First Look: 2021 Cannondale Scalpel adds spring to its step

Bike Hub Features

agreed, there is no physical way this can be a 201 model. Unless it's launched after 1 jan 2021 it will remain a 2020 model no matter what they say. Like cars and everything else manufacturers release the year before.

I wouldnt get this model as im told the 2022 model will be released in November

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, there is no physical way this can be a 201 model. Unless it's launched after 1 jan 2021 it will remain a 2020 model no matter what they say. Like cars and everything else manufacturers release the year before.

In all fairness these models will run till September 2021 when the 2022 models are announced. They will be on the market for a little over a year. But yes, they should be 2020 not 2021

It rides lekker! Had one for a morning, But it needs a session in Jonkers.

The rear seems to be more responsive than the previous model.

Also the orange is a metallic finish, photos don't do it justice. 

It rides lekker! Had one for a morning, But it needs a session in Jonkers.

The rear seems to be more responsive than the previous model.

Also the orange is a metallic finish, photos don't do it justice. 

Agree - the photos is surprisingly different to the actual in this case. Was not a fan of the colour until I saw it through the workshop window at CWC - now a big :thumbup:  from me!

Agree - the photos is surprisingly different to the actual in this case. Was not a fan of the colour until I saw it through the workshop window at CWC - now a big :thumbup:  from me!

The colours look a lot better in person. The pearl effect does not come through well in pictures

Any idea if the weight and spec of the SE?

Just over 11kg for the SE1.

SID Ultimate 120mm Fork

HollowGram Carbon wheels

XT Groupset

Cannondale Downlow Dropper

2.35 tyres

Stock of the SE is only arriving later in the year.

Just over 11kg for the SE1.

SID Ultimate 120mm Fork

HollowGram Carbon wheels

XT Groupset

Cannondale Downlow Dropper

2.35 tyres

Stock of the SE is only arriving later in the year.

For a  trail bike thats very light

Flex stays have been used effectively in many bike designs, previous Scalpel, Scott Spark, Spez Epic. I'm just not sure I would label anything with flex stays a trail bike. Its an intentionally compromised suspension design for the sake of weight.

Looks like a spot on race bike though, good to see less conservative anti-squat figures for an XC bike. 80% at sag should be pretty grippy!

Flex stays have been used effectively in many bike designs, previous Scalpel, Scott Spark, Spez Epic. I'm just not sure I would label anything with flex stays a trail bike. Its an intentionally compromised suspension design for the sake of weight.

Looks like a spot on race bike though, good to see less conservative anti-squat figures for an XC bike. 80% at sag should be pretty grippy!

Flexy stays were first used in titanium hardtails and softtails in the 90's. They added compliance.

Cannondale's first Scalpel was the first fullsuspension bike to use flexing chainstays to deliver a decent amount of travel, 70mm for a 2001 model fulle susser. Trek SP1 used a rear shock with flexed chain stays to offer 27mm of compliance. In essence the shock replaced a rubber elastomer.

Cannondale used the flexy stays till the 2012 model year. The 2013 scalpel moved the flexed element to the seat stays. Many bikes have used this layout; Kona, Scott, More recently Specialized, Trek etc. its just a workaround to get a single pivot bike to activate a linkage driven shock.

Other than a few boutique titanium brands, The scalpel is the only mainstream full suspension MTB to utilise flexing chainstays and now in a 4 bar linkage layout. Nothing compromised about it at all. Flexing elements are used in many areas of suspension design where weight is not a major consideration

The flex stays were tested by the crew of Rat Boy and thrashed hard with not one single breakage.