Winter Jacket

jesica

Good day

any advice on a decent winter jacket for JHB please does not cost a arm and a legg

I was thinking maybe a good Atomic Jacket

whats your take

regards

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the Anatomic PacMe shell jacket and love it.  It's in no way waterproof, but it keeps me warm without overheating throughout winter.  I wear arm sleeves under it for extra comfort and less sticking to sweaty arms.    

If this is what you're looking at I'd highly recommend it.  

Are you after a rain jacket or just something to keep you warm?

I've got the Anatomic PacMe shell jacket and love it.  It's in no way waterproof, but it keeps me warm without overheating throughout winter.  I wear arm sleeves under it for extra comfort and less sticking to sweaty arms.    

If this is what you're looking at I'd highly recommend it.  

Are you after a rain jacket or just something to keep you warm?

JHB mornings are European levels of cold and the air is dry so the wind chill makes it worse. What works in Cape Town doesn't work in JHB. Okes up there are wearing up to 4 layers or proper lined winter jackets

I would buy an an-arm-and-a-legs-worth wind breaker. Then just pile on cheap layers underneath. 

Edit: I say 'I would', but its what I've actually done.

Edited by Chris_

Good day

any advice on a decent winter jacket for JHB please does not cost a arm and a legg

I was thinking maybe a good Atomic Jacket

whats your take

regards

for the price, the Anatomic SA winter jacket looks like a good deal. With a base layer, cycling shirt then jacket, that will keep you warm in Jozi winter.

but you still need all the other winter gear.

I see anatomic are having a sale (wear direct.co.za) so you can pick up a winter jersey and a pac-shell for little money. 

I would also propose the BTWIN range from decathlon. I picked up a winter jersey and wind jacket for ~R700 and rode with it this weekend (at 6oC) and everything was perfect. I have previously had a btwin jacket and they are good quality (for what you are paying for)

https://www.decathlon.co.za/p/8382094_men-s-road-cycling-long-sleeved-jersey-essential-black.html

https://www.decathlon.co.za/p/8517063_road-cycling-ultra-light-long-sleeved-windproof-jacket-yellow.html

I would buy an an-arm-and-a-legs-worth wind breaker. Then just pile on cheap layers underneath. 

Edit: I say 'I would', but its what I've actually done.

exactly what I did when I lived in Jozi 5 yearss ago and just started cycling at the time. Financial position was very different and couldn't afford the crazy priced stuff.

I used the cheap "warehouse spec" high viz windbreaker style jacket, a first ascent thermal base layer and cycling top. Mr Price Sport buff and leg warmers. It kept me warm enough for 5am rides.

in 2006 I bought myself a Gore Windstopper N2S jacket for USD100. This is the one I wear in winter and adjust with layers underneath.

Last year I bought my wife a winter jacket from Cyclelab - brand is called Sportfull - cost was just over R1000. 

Bearing in mind that we have recorded temperatures as lower as -6'C on some of our early morning rides we have been happy with these jackets and assorted layers.

The other thing to think about Jesica, are you cycling for commuting or longer cycling on weekends?

If a longer ride then you'll know Joburg can warm up pretty quickly, so make sure whatever you buy can be used when the temps rise, or alternatively can be rolled up and jammed in your back pockets. 

One day only just had a sale on the Ciovita gear. Perhaps keep an eye out for that again. 

The First Ascent Magneeto jacket is usually on the market for R1200. It's a great windbreaker, so you can layer underneath. 

I invested in some good quality gear over the years, and not all at once. My Santini leggings (full length and 3/4) are still going strong after 13 years. The arm warmers have probably reached the end of life cycle and I replaced these with a pair of Anatomic ones a few years back.

JHB winters are mild, with some very cold spells mixed in. Cold mornings, but warmer mid-mornings. Vest, shirt, arm warmers and a gilet work well for the milder days.

I have a BL (BicycleLine) jacket that doesn’t require arm warmers below the jacket, unlike the long sleeve shirt that I have from Panda. Both are used in different circumstances and work well.

>12 = gilet, arm warmers, shirt and vest

7-12 = arm warmers, shirt and Panda jacket

-4 to 7 = BL jacket and perhaps arm warmers.

Full finger gloves on all rides below 12, until it warms up then the gloves go in the pockets.

Leggings only in the single digits.

I might put toe caps on this week, but haven’t bother up to today.

Seriously MISS the Anatomic store in Durbanville ....

Some NICE items ....

Edited by ChrisF

Enjoy Fitness has Cocoon jackets available. Would just layer (base layer, normal cycling top and then the cocoon over the normal kit).

Their cocoon jacket is fleece lined so should be quite warm.

So In Klerksdorp is much the same as in JHB if not colder. What I use.
Riding from 5 til 6:16
Mr Price base layer, vest, shirt, 2 jackets(not so warm spring jackets), Thermal legwarmers and 2xsock with booties or toe caps. (always have cold toes). thin wool gloves and Woolies winter gloves, Anatomic thermal beanie and buff for the face. 

Riding from 7 or 6 in the weekends. Gets hot after 8
Mr Price base layer, vest, thermal arm warmers, racing shirt, gilet.The gilet can be stored away when it really gets hot and then its ok with the ventilation. Knee warmers and cycling short..
2xsock with toe caps. (always have cold toes). thin wool gloves and Cycling winter gloves (not so warm as the Woolies gloves), Buff for the face and head. 

Some of the people have Spez winter jacket and what I heard they ONLY use them with a base layer (when riding from 5-6), but that way above my budget.