Winter Jacket

jesica

You wont be disappointed with that First Ascent purchase. I used a friend of mine's one for W2W last year, it was POURING with rain on the first day. I only had my cycling jersey and this jacket on. My phone was still working (it was in the waterproof chest pocket) and I was nice and warm throughout the ride.

Edited by Jako De Wet

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, ha

Ciovita looks cool!!!

I bought the Bretagna (bright yellow) and the Sheildon (bight orange) Expensive, but money well spent.

What would u wear under the Bretagna seeing it is marketed as a real winter cycling jacket? I assume that many layers will increase heat generation and one would wear a rain jacket over it in event of unpredictable rain forecasting.

What would u wear under the Bretagna seeing it is marketed as a real winter cycling jacket? I assume that many layers will increase heat generation and one would wear a rain jacket over it in event of unpredictable rain forecasting.

For now just a First Ascent sleeveless base layer.

My body doesn't not feel any cold, arms a slight chill.  Testing temp was around 4 deg (without adding any wind chill factor).

The jacket seems to have some form of water resistance, sweat droplets seems not to absorb into the cloth, but I am not sure how it will perform in heavy rain.  JHB winters are luckily dry.

I did test a similar Bicycle Line jacket in misty conditions - which can be quite wet as you know - and it did just fine.  Again heavy rain is a total different scenario.

Also, the jacket is not bulky at all - in relative terms.  Don't have a massive amount of layers it seems.  Definitely a racing cut design. Nice fleecy inside layer.

Also one is wet inside after 2 hrs on the bike.  But not overly so.  Certainly not like a rain jacket produces.   

So One Day Only just flat out lying to make the offer look better...

That is pretty standard practice from them, I always double check their prices. 

But to be fair, the jacket is listed on the Ciovita site directly as R1899... 

That is pretty standard practice from them, I always double check their prices. 

But to be fair, the jacket is listed on the Ciovita site directly as R1899... 

Fair enough... I guess what I will take from this is I probably need to check out Bike Addict more often  :thumbup:

Absolutely. Definitely double check one day only's prices! Was just noting that it was on "special" in case OP wanted to have a look again. 

Fair enough... I guess what I will take from this is I probably need to check out Bike Addict more often  :thumbup:

They often have good prices on things....