Converting wifes bike to 1x12

Dup08

Good day,

My wife has a 2015 Scott Spark 940 which is serving her quite well, it is running its stock groupset. (Shimano Deore XT 3x10)

I am looking at upgrading the bike to a 1x12, but need some help from more knowledgeable people on the group.

Currently I have a Sram NX shifter and Derailleur and was thinking of pairing it with a Sunrace cassette, this cassette should be a straight bolt onto the freehub if I am not mistaken?

The big question is would I be able to convert the stock crank to a 1x or is my only option to buy a new crank, and if so, which cranks are recommended?

Your input would be appreciated. 

Cheap and easy to go 1x11

Much bigger job to go 1x12 ....

EDIT - game has changed since I last did a x1 conversion .... then 11 speed was the most for a standard Shimano freebody.

That said, the 11 speed cassettes and chains are still cheaper, chain cheaper, setup very easy and robust. 

Edited by ChrisF

Good day,

My wife has a 2015 Scott Spark 940 which is serving her quite well, it is running its stock groupset. (Shimano Deore XT 3x10)

I am looking at upgrading the bike to a 1x12, but need some help from more knowledgeable people on the group.

Currently I have a Sram NX shifter and Derailleur and was thinking of pairing it with a Sunrace cassette, this cassette should be a straight bolt onto the freehub if I am not mistaken?

The big question is would I be able to convert the stock crank to a 1x or is my only option to buy a new crank, and if so, which cranks are recommended?

Your input would be appreciated. 

If you've already got the NX stuff, then yes just use that.  The Sunrace cassette will just bolt on.  You can use the existing crank, just get a 104 BCD narrow wide chainring and stick it onto where the middle chainring currently lives.

If you've already got the NX stuff, then yes just use that.  The Sunrace cassette will just bolt on.  You can use the existing crank, just get a 104 BCD narrow wide chainring and stick it onto where the middle chainring currently lives.

That sounds great, thanks so much!

Edited by Dup08

Just check that you get the 11-50 or 11-51 casette and not the 10-50

11-zx will fit the freebody. 

Anything with a 9 or 10  needs the xd driver or the shimano micro spline.

I dont think Sunrace has a shimano micro spline compatible casette yet

Anything with a 9 or 10 needs the xd driver or the shimano micro spline.

Your post explains what I was trying to say

Hi. im busy with the same conversion atm.

I bought the shimano slx upgrade kit with sunrace cassette and bought the lyne components 34T oval 104bcd chain ring. 

Chainring already fitted to the 10spd XT crank. My 12spd gruppo is still on the way. bike is running smooth with the old 10spd cassette.
Fitted to a Scott 920 2013 model. it was also a 3x10.

Edited by Cappi

Anything with a 9 or 10  needs the xd driver or the shimano micro spline.

Thanks for your input.

Was thinking of either this cassette https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/cassettes/sunrace-mz90-12-speed-cassette-11-50-silver-5575.html

or

https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/cassettes/sunrace-casette-mz903-12-spd-11-51t-blk.html

The lesser cost may dictate that I take the silver 11-50.

Hi. im busy with the same conversion atm.

I bought the shimano slx upgrade kit with sunrace cassette and bought the lyne components 34T oval 104bcd chain ring. 

Chainring already fitted to the 10spd XT crank. My 12spd gruppo is still on the way. bike is running smooth with the old 10spd cassette.

Fitted to a Scott 920 2013 model. it was also a 3x10.

Forgot that Lyne also sells chainrings, affordable as well, may have to source it from them.

Your post explains what I was trying to say

ahh ok but remember that is not 1x 12 related

1x11 and 1 x12 came out with the cassetee being Xd-driver only then sunrace started making casettes that is 11 or 12 speed starting at 11T going to 46 or even 52 that fits on the normal free body

CWC had 1x11 upgrade kits on sale.

XT shifter, XT RD, cassette, chain, cables etc for around 3k.

Everything you need and it goes straight into an existing freehub.

Forgot that Lyne also sells chainrings, affordable as well, may have to source it from them.

ps. u will need chain ring bolts spacers too. or other bolts. 

at least i needed them. 

ahh ok but remember that is not 1x 12 related

1x11 and 1 x12 came out with the cassetee being Xd-driver only then sunrace started making casettes that is 11 or 12 speed starting at 11T going to 46 or even 52 that fits on the normal free body

Thank you :thumbup:

I updated my post above ...  :ph34r:

would love to hear feedback on the user experience with these 12 speed systems .... my 1x11 Shimano setups are just so much more robust than the 1x12 GX I had ....

and the 1x11 and 1x12 on the standard freebody has the same gear range, just marginally bigger jumps on the x11 .... I am not too worried about those jumps on a trail, though this may be different for everybody.

It seems the 1x11 parts are only marginally cheaper than the 1x12 .... so the decision may be more of a "rider experience" than a cost thing in the end of the day ....

really would love to hear long term feedback on the 1x12 .....

ps. u will need chain ring bolts spacers too. or other bolts. 

at least i needed them. 

Interesting ....

Coming from a 3x we were able to bolt the new ring onto the mid position, no spacers.  BUT, we needed shorter bolts as it was only holding one ring.

Interesting ....

Coming from a 3x we were able to bolt the new ring onto the mid position, no spacers.  BUT, we needed shorter bolts as it was only holding one ring.

i used old washers that i had to space it up as i couldnt tighten the exixting bolts up with new lyne chainring as a temp fix. Went and bought new spacers so that i could use the old bolts. else had to but new shorter bolts. hope this make sense.

this was on my shimano XT crankset, M780

Edited by Cappi