Tyre Choice - Brands

nickvink30@yahoo.com

Hey All

So I don't know about you guys, but I'm one to stick to what I know when it comes to replacing tyres on my road bike.

Kinda the type to play it safe when it comes to components that I choose for my bike, and generally persuaded by reputable bike brand names. So when I look to replace my tyres, I typically go for what i had previously used, unless of coarse they sucked and I got too many flats or they wore too quickly etc. I've had bad experience with Gatorskins, so haven't looked at Continental in some time.

So my question is (and this is directed to Conti fans with Michelin/Schwalbe/Vittoria experience):

Are the GP4000II or GP5000's as good or better than say Schwalbe One or Michelin Pro 4 Endurance/Vittoria equivalent?

Considerations would be typical:

• Mileage
  • Puncture Resistance
  • Rolling Resistance
  • Price

I'm interested to see your opinions/experience and how the big 3 brands fair against one another in SA, specifically Road Tyres 23/25 C. No experience with Mountain Bike tyre's so don't go there.

Cheers

Nick

I have Lithion 3's (Michelin) on my training bike. Dirt cheap, and actually I'm super impressed with the overall feel and no puntures.

On my race bike I've got Vredestein Fortezza. They're just about the best tyre I've used.

On your point, I've used Continental for many years. I find them like the VW or Toyota of the tyre world. They could make a rolling turd and slap their name on it and would sell for whatever price they wanted.

Michelin, Vredestein, Vittoria are much better tyres in my opinion. (And if you shop around, much, much better value for money)

Edited by TNT1

After many years of running Gatorskins I'm currently running Pirelli Cinturatos.

Reports suggest better puncture resistance than Gatorskins with lower rolling resistance.

I am running a size wider on the pirelli than I normally do, but the confidence the tyre gives me in terms of grip far surpasses what I ever felt with the gators.

Some slight off-topic slant towards mtb, but I have found Vittoria to be very long lasting and durable. I have used Schwalbe and Maxxis before, but they are short lived in my experience. I have a set of Spez on my full-sus, and they wear down a bit faster than the Vittorias, but that may also be the inordinate amount of tar travel this year I have been exposed to.

Overall, I am a Vittoria fan, and the next set of new tyres will be strictly that brand for me.

I can only assume that their reputation extends well beyond only mtb tyres to other types as well?

Some slight off-topic slant towards mtb, but I have found Vittoria to be very long lasting and durable. I have used Schwalbe and Maxxis before, but they are short lived in my experience. I have a set of Spez on my full-sus, and they wear down a bit faster than the Vittorias, but that may also be the inordinate amount of tar travel this year I have been exposed to.

Overall, I am a Vittoria fan, and the next set of new tyres will be strictly that brand for me.

I can only assume that their reputation extends well beyond only mtb tyres to other types as well?

I don't agree that maxxis has a short live span. It's said that heavier tires lasts longer. I think everyone that owned crossmark before can agree that it's super durable.

I don't agree that maxxis has a short live span. It's said that heavier tires lasts longer. I think everyone that owned crossmark before can agree that it's super durable.

My crossmarks were not very long lasting. I managed only about 2000 km on them. I have been doing over 6500 km on the Spez Purgatory I have on my Camber, and replaced the Ground Control after around 5000 km. The Purgatory looks like it still has another 3000 km of life left.

On my hardtail, I have run a set of Vittoria after the Crossmark fail, and they have given me about 3000 + km on a set.