3x9 to 2 x11

Stephan Venter

I have a 2018 scott aspect 930 and I want to upgrade it to a 2 x 11. Got a second hand Shimano Xt M8000 groupset, but my local bike shop said that the derailleur won’t fit on my frame. Do anybody have some ideas or am I in the market for a new bike if I want to upgrade? Hope not!

Why wont the RD attach to the frame hanger? Some pictures?

Sorry nonpictures, just going on what my lbs told me when I took the bike to them. Think I’ll try the other bike shop near me tomorrow and get a second opinion. I didn’t get anything relating to this on google or youtube. Was quite surprised.

If there is a derailleur on I can't see why another won't fit unless that XT derailleur comes off a direct mount bike like in the photo in which case you need the little piece in the other 2. Most Shimano derailleurs use the same part.

post-80000-0-48423400-1590699793_thumb.jpg

post-80000-0-55541900-1590699805_thumb.jpg

post-80000-0-96390300-1590699815_thumb.jpg

I have a 2018 scott aspect 930 and I want to upgrade it to a 2 x 11. Got a second hand Shimano Xt M8000 groupset, but my local bike shop said that the derailleur won’t fit on my frame. Do anybody have some ideas or am I in the market for a new bike if I want to upgrade? Hope not!

Your lbs are talking nonsense. This is as easy as swapping out parts

Thanks everyone I took the bike and parts to another shop, and they said no problem. Being installed as I type. Thanks again

Yup.....I'm with the lbs...talk BS.

Maybe I'm wrong here....but when I walk into a bike shop, and been asked if they can help.......I always ask the sale person if he/she is a biker......if not.....I'll ask for one.

I always says.....you need to have a interest in bicycles....mtb, road, downhill...ect if you work in a bike shop....because the once with no interest will tell you...….."sorry sir...that will not work on your bike".......OR they doesn't want to help, because you didn't buy from them!!

The issue is direct mount vs. non-direct mount derailleurs and hangers. So it might not fit on the bike with the current hanger but you can get the other hanger type an then it fits with no problem.

I went through this on my Scott Spark upgrading from the M8000 XT (that uses direct mount) to M8100 XT (that uses non-direct mount). New derailleur hanger for about R450 sorted the problem.