SHIMANO XT M8100 XC vs. SRAM Guide RSC

boesman88

I need some help please. 

I'm in need of replacing my standard SRAM Level brakes with a stronger set to handle my 110kgs.  Need to choose between the above options.  AFAIK the XTs are 2 POTs where the SRAMs are 4 POTs

Need to make a decision pretty quick and haven't done too much research on this.  I think I have a preference for Shimano. How good are the SRAMs?

appreciated 

on this forum, you will never find the common ground between the 2.

I've been fortunate to ride both, and both are great brakes. I've settled for the zee brakes as my favorite, which i can't see it being much different to the 4pot xt's except the brown colour

I've bought 2 2nd hand sets of guides, both of which i had to repaired because of their sticky pistons, and because of this shimano will get my vote.

again, you will find here there will be pro shimano pro sram. choose the one you are used to and prefer.

edit: spelling

Edited by Meezo

Any of the RSC levers from sram have excellent feel imo, they're reliable (if you're purchasing new, secondhand might still be in one of the weird batches) and provide ample power

Can't comment on the new xt, m8000 was pretty good imo, everything you'd expect from a shimano lever

Shimano does the 8120 which is a 4 pot brake

https://www.evobikes.co.za/shimano-xt-br-m8120-disc-brake-set.html

Depends which Sram model you want to use and compare

Perhaps factor rotor size into your discussion (180 rear and 200 front) - they work well for me and my Shimano XT M8000 setup

I've been fortunate to ride both, and both are great brakes. I've settled for the zee brakes as my favorite, which i can't see it being much different to the 4pot xt's except the brown colour

I've bought 2 2nd hand sets of guides, both of which i had to repaired because of their sticky pistons, and because of this shimano will get my vote.

again, you will find here there will be pro shimano pro sram. choose the one you are used to and prefer.

edit: spelling

That's the funny part - I ordered Zee's from CWC on 1 April.  It showed in stock and they happily took my money.  I expected some delays during COVID lock down, but two full months later my patients are wearing slightly thin. No delivery and promises on promises.  Latest is they can offer me the Guide RCS 4 pot or XT 8100 2 pot as replacement options, or I wait for the Zee.  

Perhaps waiting for the Zees is the better option?  I'm in any event unable to ride the bike until SRAM gets back to me that snap crackle and pop eagle chain of mine. 

You can get 4 pot M8100 XT brakes and I'm absolutely loving mine. Definitely better modulation than the previous versions.

Edited by Jehosefat

Any of the RSC levers from sram have excellent feel imo, they're reliable (if you're purchasing new, secondhand might still be in one of the weird batches) and provide ample power

Can't comment on the new xt, m8000 was pretty good imo, everything you'd expect from a shimano lever

does the servicing also require a complete replacement of the internals as for the Levels?  

does the servicing also require a complete replacement of the internals as for the Levels?

No idea, I've never had sram brakes long enough to justify servicing them

Hope all the way

No idea, I've never had sram brakes long enough to justify servicing them

Hope all the way

as it turns out, my SRAM brakes needed a major service within two years of use in addition to the snap_crackle_pop issue.   

It has been said that you'll never get a clear answer here on the Hub. Too many opinions.

My 2c is that the Shimano XT 2 pot will do fine as a brake set. I too had difficulty slowing down properly on the standard 180mm  rotor size. Upgraded to the 200mm rotor and it is much, much better. The physics makes sense too. Its all about levers.

That's the funny part - I ordered Zee's from CWC on 1 April.  It showed in stock and they happily took my money.  I expected some delays during COVID lock down, but two full months later my patients are wearing slightly thin. No delivery and promises on promises.  Latest is they can offer me the Guide RCS 4 pot or XT 8100 2 pot as replacement options, or I wait for the Zee.  

Perhaps waiting for the Zees is the better option?  I'm in any event unable to ride the bike until SRAM gets back to me that snap crackle and pop eagle chain of mine. 

I have Zee on my DH bike, and the new XT (12 speed) 4-pot trail brakes on my trail bike.   Before that I had the 4-pot XT M8000 series on my trail bike.    Zee was definitely the best UNTIL I got the new XT 4pot.  Holy crap.  Makes the Zee feel weak in comparison (I also have had Saint).

So off this "research", if someone wants cheap brakes, 4 pot, just get the new SLX or Deore 4 pots.  They're basically the same and will have the power.  

Edited by Simon123

You need DH brakes. You are too chunky for 2 piston brakes. Wait for the Shimano Zee from CWC and get 2 x 200mm ICE TECH rotors. The Zee are awesome

I think I have posted this a million times on le hub....

Formula Cura are amazing. Great power, modulation, and lever feel. I am also over 100kg and ride steep, fast trails - they stop me easily. At the time I bought they were only available in 2 pot - but I would buy 4 pot now if I were in the market. 2 pots are really more than enough, but if budget allows 4 pots are the way to go.

As for my experience with Sram - haven't had a good one yet, though the new Code RSC looks amazing.

Shimano - I have XT m8000 2pots on my hardtail. The power is underwhelming and there is no modulation.

Oh, and as an aside, do yourseld a favour and fit 180mm rear and 203mm front rotors from the get go.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

At 14% fat (meaning a little but not too fat) I will take chunky as a compliment lol

Right, waiting for the ZEEs then. Max I think I can go on the back is 180 rotors (Scott RC900). will do 180 back and 203's in the front. should supply ample stopping power.

Edited by boesman88