Thule Velocompact vs Euroway

WDL

Afternoon all you hubbers.....

I'm in the market for a 3/4 bike platform. Decided on Thule for obvious reasons.

Good specials running at CWC at the moment. There is a 2k difference between the two products mentioned above.

The Velocompact just look more rugged to me and I will pay the extra 2k if need be? But what is your thoughts on the Euroway which is the cheaper one of the two??

Thank you

Very happy with our VeloCompact.

Dont know the other model ... looking at the photos, have a close look at the "latch" for securing it to the towball.  The VeloCompact latch is quick and easy, the photos looks like the other model may take a bit of work to attach .... Let's hope a Hubber can provide first hand feedback on the other model.

Very happy with our VeloCompact.

Dont know the other model ... looking at the photos, have a close look at the "latch" for securing it to the towball. The VeloCompact latch is quick and easy, the photos looks like the other model may take a bit of work to attach .... Let's hope a Hubber can provide first hand feedback on the other model.

thank you Chris

Mine is a Euroway. I went for that because I am a cheapskate.

The Euroway's hitch clamp is:

1. Lift
  2. Position on hitch
  3. Close (and lock if you like)

Couldn't be easier. Could be lighter though, and might be worth comparing the Euroway weight against that of the VeloCompact. And judging from the pictures it looks like sliding the tyre grooves out will be easier with the VeloCompact (which has handles for that purpose). Not convinced that's worth R2000 though. But then again I am a cheapskate. 

As long as it has the quick fot handle thingy I'm happy

Lovey euroway, might be my favorite Thule product

I had a three bike Euroway and cannot fault it.I will be getting another one.

Piece of cake to fit and take off.Tight fit for three bikes but I bought if for two bikes with plenty of space and no rubbing or scratches.

Have a look at the ones that Volvo sell, they are Thule made with Volvo branding. Only difference I see are the tail lights and the fact that it is cheaper. Hell the manual even says Thule

Have a look at the ones that Volvo sell, they are Thule made with Volvo branding. Only difference I see are the tail lights and the fact that it is cheaper. Hell the manual even says Thule

correct, the Volvo branded ones are Thule and are more than often cheaper than the Thule ones.

Another interesting fact is the Land Rover ones are also Thule, same thing costs between 3 -4 k more with Land Rover branding on.

correct, the Volvo branded ones are Thule and are more than often cheaper than the Thule ones.

Another interesting fact is the Land Rover ones are also Thule, same thing costs between 3 -4 k more with Land Rover branding on.

But does it also leave oil stains all over your driveway?

• 2 years later...

Bump.

Any more detail on these? Struggling to see the difference. My main concern would be fitting a large 29er with 2.5 inch tyres.

1 hour ago, Brawler said:

Bump.

Any more detail on these? Struggling to see the difference. My main concern would be fitting a large 29er with 2.5 inch tyres.

I have the VeloCompact.

It easily fits a Large 29" with 2,8 wheels.  (jip, some nice big tekkies on the ebike) :thumbup:

The only issue we have had is the spacing between the bikes.  The new Scott Spark with boost spacing, and the oversize shock on the ebike does not fit next to each other.  For these two bikes I have to use rack one and rack three.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:47 PM, WDL said:

I'm in the market for a 3/4 bike platform. Decided on Thule for obvious reasons.

Good specials running at CWC at the moment. There is a 2k difference between the two products mentioned above.

The Velocompact just look more rugged to me and I will pay the extra 2k if need be? But what is your thoughts on the Euroway which is the cheaper one of the two??

Thank you

I have a Westfalia 3 Bike Rack going up for sale soon. 

As a lifetime Thule user, I  can say with confidence that these are tight up there, and the way it folds up and away beats just about any rack out there. Let me know.

This one here:
https://bikehub.co.za/news/review-westfalia-3-bike-carrier-r8298/

On 5/29/2020 at 3:47 PM, WDL said:

Thank you

In reply to your question: get the biggest one. I had a Euroway and found its size frustrating, especially with the ever-growing increase in wheelbase length, handlebar width, etc. Higher-grade Tetris with some Jenga thrown had nothing on trying to get 3 bikes to fit on a 3-bike rack. My last Thule was the Velospace. Increase width and more space between bikes.  

Got the Euroway (3 bike) new for a great deal. About R2500 off MSRP.

My L 29er trail bike fits perfectly even  its 2.5 inch Minion tyre (I think the spec says the rack is only good for 2.35).

Interestingly my 27.5 L Enduro bike is far more of a tight squeeze. The straps barely make it but it does.

With these two big bikes I need to use position 1 and 3 for an easy fit. When in position 1 and 2 there is contact on the bars (expected) and even on the rear of the frame and fork. I noticed though that the wheel holders do slide both length wise and width wise so I could probably make it work but then position 3 would be compromised.

I haven't tried yet but I think I could fit 3 smaller bikes pretty easily (dj, kids, road, wifes).

Had one drive yesterday and the thing is a pleasure as the bikes are planted and I am not watching the bikes move on the hang on rack in the rear view mirror the whole time.

So yeah, still a good buy but if you have an XL trail bike or need to fit 3 modern big bikes you may need to fork out for the bigger ones.

High-jack on: On sort of a different note, I recently purchased a Compact(used) and never did a fitment test of our mountain bikes on it, after building puzzle for 30 minutes on Saturday, I made it work, got back from our ride and made some changes that helped, I removed the square spacer from the first arm and loosened the outer rail and moved it out(could move around 15mm, Now the Titan Skyrim and Trek top-fuel fits like a glove. HIGH-JACK off.