Waterproof Jacket

Zama7

Hey Guys

Years ago I bought a waterproof Salomon Jacket but the time has come to upgrade. Looking for a new waterproof but breathable jacket, will use it 80% for running and only occasionally for cycling as I don't usually cycling in the rain unless it is a race. 

Any recommendations ?

Thanks 

If you want something properly waterproof, look at Pearl Izumi, nice rubber lining, speeds up weight loss and feels good against your chest, as told by a friend of course...

Edited by CAAD4

Found gem of a site looking for a packable rain jacket - trailshed.co.za & went for a Mac in Sac. Good quality and price. Took it on a ride to test breathability and worked brilliantly as a wind breaker too. No rain test though although there are plenty of online reviews etc.

Trailshed also stocks this monster - ULTIMATE DIRECTION – ULTRA JACKET V2

Edited by keithbe

Some say, that you will only assume a windjacket, is waterproof once...

And the rest continue to assume...

The Salomon La Cote FLex 2.5L has been my go to rain/bad weather adventure jacket for 3 years now. 

I loved my first one so much that I bought the later model after the old one was damaged from a heavy fall in Patagonia. The fabric was fine but the zip ripped open and broke. 

In this image I pair the jacket with a thermal baselayer and fleece. The jacket did a great job keeping out the wet and insulating the heat I was producing from the walk. When I was overheating on parts of our hike I opened the side flaps to make it more breathable. 

Pic taken on Perito Moreno Glacier, needless to say it was cold as ef! 

post-43518-0-76004000-1590971131_thumb.jpg

The jacket also serves as my summer rain jacket. 

Pic taken in Amsterdam. 

post-43518-0-26348200-1590971210_thumb.jpg

This jacket is not my cycling rain jacket though I used it a lot in Amsterdams torrential rains when I was working as a bike courier. 

Edited by J∆kk∆ls

Only problem with buying expensive gear; when it gets torn or shredded(or worse stolen). No amount of waterproofing will quel the tears.

Thanks, I have been looking for one of these jackets for a while, but not prepared to spend R1900

My opinion, for aerobic activities like cycling and running get a windproof water resistant jacket like an apple jacket. They are packable and work well as a breathable shell keeping you warm on cold days without causing too much sweating. Ask yourself, how often do you really need a waterproof jacket? Unless you make a point of going out in the rain (which most of us don't) why focus on waterproof.

My opinion, for aerobic activities like cycling and running get a windproof water resistant jacket like an apple jacket. They are packable and work well as a breathable shell keeping you warm on cold days without causing too much sweating. Ask yourself, how often do you really need a waterproof jacket? Unless you make a point of going out in the rain (which most of us don't) why focus on waterproof.

Because when it randomly starts pissing with rain it feels amazing having a good quality waterproof jacket, nice and dry/warm inside and the heavens opening up outside. Also useful for when out hiking or just walking around the neighborhood.

I personally love being out in inclement weather so I see having a high quality waterproof jacket as vital. Kway make some nice breathable rain jackets, good quality, YKK zips, great fit and an awesome warranty.

Because when it randomly starts pissing with rain it feels amazing having a good quality waterproof jacket, nice and dry/warm inside and the heavens opening up outside. Also useful for when out hiking or just walking around the neighborhood.

I personally love being out in inclement weather so I see having a high quality waterproof jacket as vital. Kway make some nice breathable rain jackets, good quality, YKK zips, great fit and an awesome warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I have a proper shell for bad weather. But I'd never use it when running or riding. I use it for bad weather when hiking etc. It doesn't pack small or light enough to stuff in a pocket.