Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

*asking for a friend*

Why cycle in packs where not a single person has a masked on? This morning a group of 4 guys passed me near Camps Bay - none with any form of covering their nose/mouth and the leader coughing his lungs out over everyone- me included.

Is it too much to ask? I counted mask wearers after this incicdent - less than 4% had their faces covered. It sort of makes it hard for those of us in the "danger" age group (50->) to be out cycling - just because of the majority of cycling community beig utterly selfish.

And if you think you cannot get it or that you are so much better than anyone else - good luck - no one knows! I lost 2 friends in as many weeks - the one just older than 40 with no co-morbidities.

But even if you are a super human - why would you willingly want to put others at risk?

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4% wow

yip - it could even be lower - were you out there? I lost count somewhere in the 50's and only 2 (excluding me) had their masks on. 4% is not really relevent - what is - is that almost no one covered their faces...but we can argue the 4% if that makes you feel good

*asking for a friend*

Why cycle in packs where not a single person has a masked on? This morning a group of 4 guys passed me near Camps Bay - none with any form of covering their nose/mouth and the leader coughing his lungs out over everyone- me included.

Is it too much to ask? I counted mask wearers after this incicdent - less than 4% had their faces covered. It sort of makes it hard for those of us in the "danger" age group (50->) to be out cycling - just because of the majority of cycling community beig utterly selfish.

And if you think you cannot get it or that you are so much better than anyone else - good luck - no one knows! I lost 2 friends in as many weeks - the one just older than 40 with no co-morbidities.

But even if you are a super human - why would you willingly want to put others at risk?

Because it does not matter and no one gives a toss. Is the simple answer.

Other than that, does it matter? if you are riding in a group or not your social distance is typically grater than the 1.5m.

On wether you are going to get it or not. Make peace with the fact that you are probably going to get it, or maybe the Vax is found before you get it. 

You are at a significantly greater risk going to the shop and having to stand outside waiting to go in or using the poorly disinfected trolleys that you now have to use. 

I am just so over all this fear mongering. Yes it is bad for the very few that have serious comorbidity, but they/I are still going to be getting it unless you stay locked up in your house and do everything online. Even then the stupid protocols that that are currently in place are not really going to save you as no one is applying them correctly anyway.

Rant over!

Edit: the vast majority (non cyclists) also don't give a damn. Just drive through any informal settlement, poorer suburb, life has been going on as per normal since L5.

Edited by TDFN

it does matter when everyone's close to each other, but since none of the runers and almost no walkers wear it then **** them why would I choke to protect them.

Anyways I wear mine about 84,67% of the time, I just take it off for high intensity. The anatomic is awesome you really breathe easy in it most of your rides... And since I stopped giving a **** for the 5km rule I hardly see any runner/walker in my morning rides and I'm loving life again :D

I am also over the fear mongering and want to be out there cycling - but - NO- you can help curb transmissions by covering you mouth and nose - and everyone around you is not in the safe zone - it is not a big ask or is it?

I do not want to get this damn thing now because it will ruin my business and more than 30 people's food on the table - plus I am in the age group that gets hit the most. BUT I have had enough about sitting at home running down my immune system - so would like to cucle - but it seems it is impossible for people to do the safer thing? Like you say everyone gives a toss because they are fit and healthy - good luck then...

Because it does not matter and no one gives a toss. Is the simple answer.

Other than that, does it matter? if you are riding in a group or not your social distance is typically grater than the 1.5m.

On wether you are going to get it or not. Make peace with the fact that you are probably going to get it, or maybe the Vax is found before you get it. 

You are at a significantly greater risk going to the shop and having to stand outside waiting to go in or using the poorly disinfected trolleys that you now have to use. 

I am just so over all this fear mongering. Yes it is bad for the very few that have serious comorbidity, but they/I are still going to be getting it unless you stay locked up in your house and do everything online. Even then the stupid protocols that that are currently in place are not really going to save you as no one is applying them correctly anyway.

Rant over!

This is one of my pet peeves, when cyclists get singled out for some of other misdemeanor.

This may come as a shock to some but let's take your '4%' scientific survey....

4% of PEOPLE will behave in this manner no matter what walk of life they come from, be they cyclists, runners, drivers, bakers or hairdressers..

Those people generally act like that whether they are cycling, driving, shopping or just about any activity.

Someday it'll dawn on many that some people are just idiots or at the very least don't confirm to your 'norm'

They are out there, I've learnt to live with them and not let them spoil my Sunday

Ce la vie

Unless everyone is wearing a proper/ N95 mask there is no way any mask is going to help. People are so obsessed with masks even though 99% wear/ take off/ dispose it incorrectly.

Last time I checked cycling was a choice and if you feel vulnerable then stay at home.

No - material/surgical masks wil not to protect you if worn casually - thats what you will need a n95 with all the rigmaroll around handling. BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT - it is proven beyound doubt that a material mask does reduce the distribution of droplets & aerosol FROM you to others SIGNIFICANTLY. But carry on - its too much to ask you to keep others in mind - they can mos stay at home as you say. 

It is actually law to wear one - but I suppose with all the other stupid senseless rules going about - you can also ignore this one?

Unless everyone is wearing a proper/ N95 mask there is no way any mask is going to help. People are so obsessed with masks even though 99% wear/ take off/ dispose it incorrectly.

Last time I checked cycling was a choice and if you feel vulnerable then stay at home.

Edited by Stefalbertyn

I was wondering the same thing this morning around the Constantia area and the response on this thread highlights the problem - they (we?) are clearly just too superior/special. I passed 2 groups of >10 adult riders together in Constantia and many groups between 4 and 10 riders - generally none wearing a mask, 2 or 3 abreast across the road (I had to shout at 1 of these to move out of the way of the car stuck behind them) and mostly riding at <12kph chatting to each other (I was running and passed many of them up hills hence I have an idea of the speed).

If you want to be social then invite your friends to your house for a braai. It's just as legal as riding in a group but it doesn't affect those of us who are wearing masks and trying to train on our own. If you don't care about the rules that's your decision but stop making it everyone else's problem too.

No - material/surgical masks wil not to protect you if worn casually - thats what you will need a n95 with all the rigmaroll around handling. BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT - it is proven beyound doubt that a material mask does reduce the distribution of droplets & aerosol FROM you to others SIGNIFICANTLY. But carry on - its too much to ask you to keep others in mind - they can mos stay at home as you say.

It is actually law to wear one - but I suppose with all the other stupid senseless rules going about - you can also ignore this one?

I get your point and I wear a mask ALL THE TIME to protect other people because I am actually a good candidate to infect other people because of my job. I was referring to putting yourself in harm's way and then complaining about it. Yes people are idiots and if you don't want to risk then stay at home and by the way not wearing a mask is not a offence.