Saddles - too much choice?!

mecheng89

Good afternoon Hubbers.

My trusty saddle that my road bike came with is starting to look a bit worse for wear, so I think it's time for something new, but the choice our there is just too vast.

Where do I even begin? Wide vs. narrow? Carbon vs. non-carbon? Padding or zero padding? Slotted vs. non-slotted?

Please help!

Good afternoon Hubbers.

My trusty saddle that my road bike came with is starting to look a bit worse for wear, so I think it's time for something new, but the choice our there is just too vast.

Where do I even begin? Wide vs. narrow? Carbon vs. non-carbon? Padding or zero padding? Slotted vs. non-slotted?

Please help!

Ask your LBS Pal. They should be able to guide you in the right direction. And if I may make a suggestion. If you can. Get the same one that you have now.

Seems it has served you well. Why change.

Measure your sit bones

Fit is the only thing that matters imo, I've had dead cheap saddles that fit me well and are comfortable and expensive ones that were terrible.

Same with amount of padding, less padding tends to be more comfortable to me but others prefer more

Talk to A good bike fit place and have them measure you and go from there

Very simple .If you were happy with the current one ,stick to the same shape .If not, experiment with similar or go to a spez dealer and have a fitment .And yes! ,there are saddles that are fit and forget .Nobody has to use a saddle that will eventually be the correct one .IMO, the higher the cost ,the more discomfort .Look at fabric and spez .

Edited by arendoog

Good afternoon Hubbers.

Please help!

Post pic of what you curretly have and width?

If you are willing to put some time, effort and money into the new saddle choice, perhaps consider saddle pressure mapping.

I did that recently and discovered that the saddle that I was convinced was correct for me, was indeed not.

Width was OK, but I need a cutout so that I can rotate my hips slightly further forward without the pressure where I don't want it.

It resulted in an expensive saddle, but I am much more comfortable now with very different posture on the bike.

It's no coincidence that the pressure mapping tool and brand of saddle are the same and it was amazing that the brand of saddle that came with the bike (similar width with a cut-out) was unsuitable.

I think I ingested a bit of Kool-Aid in the process...

Sarcasm aside, the pressure mapping was very interesting.

https://gebiomized.de/en/products/measurement/

Good afternoon Hubbers.

Please help!

If you are happy with what you have then look for something similar.

Measure the width and length to get a starting point.

The slots do help ease perineum pain :thumbup:

Carbon is for weight weenies and guys with big wallets.

I prefer less padding but ride in good bibs.

What saddle is on your bike now?

I prefer less padding but ride in good bibs.

+1 for minimalist saddle and good bibs.

If your current saddle treated you well, why not get another or something as similar as possible.

Edited by Thomo