Shimano 13 speed Gearbox Patent

MTB-More

Hi All

And thus 12 speed becomes obsolete

I personally cant wait for this system to become easily available. Never have to fiddle with your gears again

Maybe this can be adopted for commuter bikes, but not for many other bikes.

You don't want to compromise frame design for an inefficient gearbox.

Also, I highly doubt pro's care about maintenance - when you have mechanics and are sponsored components, maintenance is not a concern. Don't forget bikes are not designed for normal riders, they are designed for the pro's where marginal gains can make up the 1 second that splits a winner from the rest of the field.

12 speed is not obsolete.

Hi All

And thus 12 speed becomes obsolete

I personally cant wait for this system to become easily available. Never have to fiddle with your gears again

I also think this is probably the next phase of development....

Only time will tell

So heavier, more gears but less range??? And it's not for a eBike? I don't get it.

For me it screams eBike

Edited by matthieup

So heavier, more gears but less range??? And it's not for a eBike? I don't get it.

For me it screams eBike

Apparently lots of research going internal gearboxes for ebikes .... biģgest challenge being there should be no drag when going faster than the assist level.

My guess Shimano is trying to capture this market from their rivals ....

PS absolutely no need for it to be that big ...

PS absolutely no need for it to be that big ...

Of course there is!

How else will Shimano convince you to buy version 2 (and 3, and 4)?  :w00t:

For me it screams eBike

Titanium and Carbon composites will make it a lot lighter albeit push the price up a bit. This will also enhance the longevity of it by a lot.

I like the idea of after  a muddy ride out just take the pressure washer and be done with it without meticulously cleaning the derailleur and chain and having to lube up everything after drying etc. 

Yes this might also not be what the Pro's are riding but if F1 cars look nothing like the avg Joe's car why should bicycles be any different. Let the Pro's ride the F1 designed specifically for them, in 99% of the cases you wont be riding what they ride anyways so no need to ride the same F1

Edited by MTB-More

• 2 years later...
On 6/1/2020 at 8:38 PM, sirmoun10goat said:

Maybe this can be adopted for commuter bikes, but not for many other bikes.

You don't want to compromise frame design for an inefficient gearbox.

Also, I highly doubt pro's care about maintenance - when you have mechanics and are sponsored components, maintenance is not a concern. Don't forget bikes are not designed for normal riders, they are designed for the pro's where marginal gains can make up the 1 second that splits a winner from the rest of the field.

12 speed is not obsolete.

Sorry no. I think bikes are  mainly designed to be sold en masse to the masses.