Sufferfest vs Zwift vs Fulgaz

DR ◣◢

Hi all

To help get myself back into riding after a stupid long absence I picked up a road bike and Kickr Core. Setup is complete and I guess I need to sign up to some sort of guided app. 

I've identified the three options above but I can't really see which would benefit an unfit riding most. 

What i've found so far is that the gamification of Zwift is pretty cool but the app is still serious. All my sensor and Apple watch connects seamlessly. 

Sufferfest seems more like a pro solution. Bit of a learning curve with the interface. 

Fulgaz seems straight forward. 

I'm leaning towards Zwift for its simple and fun approach..

Any feedback from the more experienced indoor riders?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to just get back into it...I don't know what that would mean for you, seriously into it or just riding, if its the latter zwift.

Hi all

To help get myself back into riding after a stupid long absence I picked up a road bike and Kickr Core. Setup is complete and I guess I need to sign up to some sort of guided app. 

I've identified the three options above but I can't really see which would benefit an unfit riding most. 

What i've found so far is that the gamification of Zwift is pretty cool but the app is still serious. All my sensor and Apple watch connects seamlessly. 

Sufferfest seems more like a pro solution. Bit of a learning curve with the interface. 

Depends what your objectives are I think. Your question is kind of like which brand bike should I get to a certain degree....and so like the response to that question I think the best for this is to say go and try them all and see what you like. Many offer a free 7 day trial or something similar.

My personal preference isn't on your list....Trainerroad. No gaming, just structured training.

you'll get a lot of opinions on which app to use.

I use zwift for the following reasons

1. my training program automatically pulls into zwift from trainingpeaks
  2. the challenges/badges are a good motivator
  3. zwift racing is fun, if you manage to ignore the cheaters
  4. it's social (or not if you choose to)

Hey boss.

How's the back doing?

I can't comment on all 3 but I've used Zwift, Rouvy and RGT.

I think if you're coming from a low base the training plans in Zwift are great. You just jump on the trainer and off you go. Remember you're not married to the thing so you can end your subscription at any time.

I've spent the last 3 months on Zwift and really enjoyed it but I'm back on Rouvy now just for a bit of variety.

Hey boss.

How's the back doing?

I can't comment on all 3 but I've used Zwift, Rouvy and RGT.

I think if you're coming from a low base the training plans in Zwift are great. You just jump on the trainer and off you go. Remember you're not married to the thing so you can end your subscription at any time.

I've spent the last 3 months on Zwift and really enjoyed it but I'm back on Rouvy now just for a bit of variety.

Long time my friend. 

Back op in 2013/4 was a great success but being unfit and overweight at the moment isn't helping so I am struggling with it a bit. My spine is a big issue at the moment with chronic inflammation issues throughout my spine and hips. Working on it. Diet and new training should help a lot. 

I will definitely check out Rouvy. 

Thanks for all the other other members contributing. 

Pitch forks out Zwift fans  :whistling:

I've used Zwift before, I did not like it. Here's my opinion and this is just my opinion: 

• I ride solo for about 90% of my riding outdoors so I would not really be bothered to cycle in groups indoors either.
  • I am not too phased as to what my avatar looks like and I will not be motivated by getting a new kit for the avatar by completing certain challenges
  • I want to get on, do my business and get off. No mess no fuss. I am on the spinning bike because I'm pressed for time and or I don't want to ride outside. I am not interested in riding in Central Park or London under a "free ride" as this to me does not add value
  • I have found that Zwift needs quite a good screen card and the ASUS Zenbook I have sounds like a boeing taking off when I open it up.
  • Rouvy does the same with the laptop as mentioned above, and I have also found that it drops the route during online races. 
  • Rouvy and Zwift has the competing factor which is nice, I mean I am very competitive and enjoy beating the rider that just came up from behind. What I don't like is the fact that some folks go and enter their weight as 23kg and pedal at 70km/h up an 15% incline. Yes one does not need to bother with such okes but still, the fact that one can alter the times and speeds by just changing your weight makes me wonder if the rest of the values are correct. 
  • I did a Rouvy race the one day, I have a 48T in the front and I entered my FTP as 250 just to try it out. I would spin at a cadence of well over 90 on a 12% incline but my avatar would be travelling at 11km/h. The next day I changed the FTP to 390 and I found similar results. 

Now my choice (one which I've been using since 2013) is Sufferfest. All day long. Yes yo don't have an avatar and yes you cannot ride against other people all over the world but, here's the pro's of this platform: 

• You also get badges - heck I have them all (even the K.o.S)
  • You get more than just spinning, you get strength and yoga. This is a major deal for you with your back, yoga will sort you out chop chop
  • Neil Henderson is a world class coach I mean you can read up on his achievements here: https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/meet-neal-henderson-coach-to-the-pros-scientists-behind-the-suffering
  • You get training plans for free which also syncs with Training Peaks 
  • The 4DP is way way more accurate and effective than any other ramp or FTP test out there.
  • The videos are fun and engaging 
  • You get way more structure and you see the results a lot faster

Anyone is welcome to send me a pm if you have any questions related to the Sufferfest app and or how to go about getting started. 

Hi all

Pitch forks out Zwift fans :whistling:.

I've used Zwift before, I did not like it. Here's my opinion and this is just my opinion:

• I ride solo for about 90% of my riding outdoors so I would not really be bothered to cycle in groups indoors either.
  • I am not too phased as to what my avatar looks like and I will not be motivated by getting a new kit for the avatar by completing certain challenges
  • I want to get on, do my business and get off. No mess no fuss. I am on the spinning bike because I'm pressed for time and or I don't want to ride outside. I am not interested in riding in Central Park or London under a "free ride" as this to me does not add value
  • I have found that Zwift needs quite a good screen card and the ASUS Zenbook I have sounds like a boeing taking off when I open it up.
  • Rouvy does the same with the laptop as mentioned above, and I have also found that it drops the route during online races.
  • Rouvy and Zwift has the competing factor which is nice, I mean I am very competitive and enjoy beating the rider that just came up from behind. What I don't like is the fact that some folks go and enter their weight as 23kg and pedal at 70km/h up an 15% incline. Yes one does not need to bother with such okes but still, the fact that one can alter the times and speeds by just changing your weight makes me wonder if the rest of the values are correct.
  • I did a Rouvy race the one day, I have a 48T in the front and I entered my FTP as 250 just to try it out. I would spin at a cadence of well over 90 on a 12% incline but my avatar would be travelling at 11km/h. The next day I changed the FTP to 390 and I found similar results.
Now my choice (one which I've been using since 2013) is Sufferfest. All day long. Yes yo don't have an avatar and yes you cannot ride against other people all over the world but, here's the pro's of this platform:
  • You also get badges - heck I have them all (even the K.o.S)
  • You get more than just spinning, you get strength and yoga. This is a major deal for you with your back, yoga will sort you out chop chop
  • Neil Henderson is a world class coach I mean you can read up on his achievements here: https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/meet-neal-henderson-coach-to-the-pros-scientists-behind-the-suffering
  • You get training plans for free which also syncs with Training Peaks
  • The 4DP is way way more accurate and effective than any other ramp or FTP test out there.
  • The videos are fun and engaging
  • You get way more structure and you see the results a lot faster
Anyone is welcome to send me a pm if you have any questions related to the Sufferfest app and or how to go about getting started.
Very insightful...and valuable!

Another comment on Rouvy -  a favourable family membership is available which helps as we are three people in the household using the IDT.

(Can't comment on the 'tech' side as we are using it for mostly 'fun' training)

Edited by Pieter-za

Another comment on Rouvy -  a favourable family membership is available which helps as we are three people in the household using the IDT.

(Can't comment on the 'tech' side as we are using it for mostly 'fun' training)

Rouvy has issues with my old Macbook. The connection with the trainer keeps dropping. Will test with the newer Macbook and compare. Also no Apple watch support for HR so I might be restricted to using the app on my phone. 

Rouvy has issues with my old Macbook. The connection with the trainer keeps dropping. Will test with the newer Macbook and compare. Also no Apple watch support for HR so I might be restricted to using the app on my phone. 

FWIW My daughter is using her Macbook just fine, this is with a Wahoo Snap 2.

FWIW My daughter is using her Macbook just fine, this is with a Wahoo Snap 2.

Could just be my Mid 2012 Pro. I'll try with the 2017 as well as my 2018 and see. 

The hardware (computers, HRM's etc) is very often overlooked when it comes to these discussions. You should definitely not hassle with hardware issues. Sitting in your cycling kit troubleshooting why the app won't pick up your HRM is SUPER annoying.

There are enough trainer options out there that will give you the flavor of pain you are looking for and work with the hardware you have.

Rouvy (for me) worked well on my mygica box. Zwift absolutely did not.

On my laptop Rouvy works well and Zwift works well but only after I bought an additional ANT dongle.

Edited by Duane_Bosch