Tacx flux 2

Geared

Hi all,

Have a ton of questions as I switch to road bikes

, but for now my most urgent one is

The flux 2 ,seems to be the only trainer around and I not really keen on waiting for the neo2t as there is zero stock anywhere

This leaves me with the tacx flux 2

Reviews are non existent, complaints however there are many, mostly down to calibration and power issues with Zwift.

The most encouraging news I read on dcrainmaker is that they quietly resolved the issue late last year.

For anyone who has one or who has purchased one recently , is it a good buy ?

Or should I suck up my lack of patience and wait another 4 to 6 weeks ?

I had the first gen flux, 3 units and a lot of swearing later I got the neo.

not sure if they fixed the issues, but neo gets my vote (or kicker if you can get one somewhere)

I's suggest you either way for the Neo 2 (there's one for sale in the classifieds section) or you go for a Kickr.

The Flux has terrible reviews.

Why Tacx?

There are many other brands available - almost all of which are more popular.

as I go shop to shop, its all I am seeing available. I am most certainly open to anything decent. Neo2t is first prize as it seems to have the most consistent reviews. 

it used to be all wahoo, but for some reason that seems to have fallen out of favour up here in Guateng, or at least that's the impression I get from going shop to shop looking. 

I can probably source a wahoo kickr4 but not sure if its a bit long in the tooth now, I think I have seen one kick core floating around. 

going to quickly dive and see that Neo 2 in the classifieds. 

then I can sort out what bikes to get haha 

I have been on a Flux since mid 2017.  I have had connectivity issues using BlueTooth with and iPad, but no issues with ANT+.  For me it is good value for money for a wheel off smart trainer.

Bought a Flux 2 just before lockdown.

Makes mechanical noise, especially when cold.

ERG is inconsistent and every now and then it would just lock up in mid stride.

Thankfully, after lockdown, Cycle Lab gave me a full refund, bought a Kickr and there is no comparison.

Kickr ERG is seamless, device is quiet and consistent. Based only on my experience it is a no-brainer in favour of the Kickr.

as I go shop to shop, its all I am seeing available. I am most certainly open to anything decent. Neo2t is first prize as it seems to have the most consistent reviews. 

it used to be all wahoo, but for some reason that seems to have fallen out of favour up here in Guateng, or at least that's the impression I get from going shop to shop looking. 

I can probably source a wahoo kickr4 but not sure if its a bit long in the tooth now, I think I have seen one kick core floating around. 

going to quickly dive and see that Neo 2 in the classifieds. 

then I can sort out what bikes to get haha 

There may be a reason as to why it's the only trainer that is available - no one wants them.

going to just grab the wahoo kick 4 now quick while they have stock. 

now to decide on my bike (Road but mainly triathlon goals) 

Merida reacto 6000 disc 2020 (Middle price range)

or

Bianchi Sempre pro 2018 (Cheapest) 

or

Bianchi Aria 2020 or 2019 (need to confirm which year) 

<snip>

Makes mechanical noise, especially when cold.

ERG is inconsistent and every now and then it would just lock up in mid stride.

<snip>

so they have not resolved the issues

I bought a Flux 2 3 weeks ago, mates all have Wahoo Core. I’m still waiting to have my first Zwift with power correct, have calibrated both on Flux & Zwift and still seems wrong, like pushing a cow uphill even on the flats!

Been assured by the LBS by calibrating only the Flux will work, going to try tomorrow, if not it’s going back!

I had the first gen flux, 3 units and a lot of swearing later I got the neo.

not sure if they fixed the issues, but neo gets my vote (or kicker if you can get one somewhere)

I have gen 1 Flux that i bought second hand, I have had no issues.. 3 years of use with me..

1 year with previous owner.

Get yourself an ANT+ USB dongle... trust me on this - don't waste your time with Bluetooth.

Wahoo local support is epic!

Get yourself an ANT+ USB dongle... trust me on this - don't waste your time with Bluetooth.

Wahoo local support is epic!

Why? I have had the opposite experience - my bluetooth connections are much more stable than when I was using ANT+

I pulled the trigger and grabbed the wahoo kickr and decided on the Merida Reacto 6000 ,I am getting fitted and picking up tomorrow. 

getting back on road, I am nervous, but need to start getting some miles in, and out of lockdown limbo. 

thank you all for the advice, I was hoping for better news on the flux 2 , as I know the neo 2 is a wonderful trainer, just didn’t want to wait, and I am sure I can’t go wrong either way.