Full Suspension help please

figjam_sa

Hi Guys! It's been a couple of years now, but still reading and following some topics. 

Few years ago I bought a Silverback Slade 2 (27.5). Haven't ridden that much - small kids, other hobbies, life.

Nothing "wrong" with the bike, but now I'm looking at a possible scenario and I need some expert input please.

Recently my wife started on the indoor trainer with my brother's old Giant mtb with slicks on and after a couple of rides outside (tar as our dirt roads are very sandy when it's not cold/wet) she is getting the hang of it and starting to enjoy the hobby and exercise. As with most things borrowed it will have to go back sometime eventually or I need to get her something in it's place... I think you are catching my drift now..... My bike has done probably less than 300km and is decently spec'd for what she wants to do and it's fairly light and the size is fine. Problem is she will not like this idea as (you guys know) this sport costs a lot of money...

But let's say I can go this route - A friend and I wanted to a local race, the Muisbos 2 Rooibos this year and I started looking at something like this, and it seems Karoo 2 Coast could also be something like this (not sure). So XC, with very little trails and I started checking out bikes. These bikes are way over budget for now, but I'd like to get a shortlist and maybe check for end of year sales. 

Originally I decided on R25k. I started looking at the Merida Ninety Six 400 - https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/merida-29er-dual-suspension/products/merida-ninety-six-400-2020. T

hen I saw the Merida Ninety Six 3000 - https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/merida-29er-dual-suspension/products/merida-ninety-six-3000-2020.

Yes I know it's almost double the price, but it's carbon and better spec'd. I'm just scared that I want to do a few races in the year and after I upgrade the shock and the groupset then I could have bought a better bike to begin with. 

So shopping around and I see the Trek Top Fuel 8 - https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/top-fuel/top-fuel-8/p/28012/. Like the look of the bike alot.

Reading a few thread's on here and then I started looking at the Scott Spark 940 https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/scott-29er-dual-suspension/products/scott-spark-940-2020 

and the Giant Anthem 2 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/anthem-29-2  - Haha! I really like the look of these 2 bikes but they are R50k bikes. Also see the 2019 Scott Spark 930 in this price range. 2019 Giant Anthem 2 a bit cheaper, but I like the look of the 2020 model more. 

And now I see Specialized has sales. Liking the Epic Comp Evo - https://www.specialized.com/za/en/epic-comp-evo/p/171236?color=264107-171236

and the Epic comp carbon - https://www.specialized.com/za/en/mens-epic-comp-carbon/p/154345?color=239075-154345 . Or should I go with the cheaper regular Epic Comp?

I'm sorry for the long post, I know everyone has a preference, but I'm struggling with deciding do I need something like this or go for the cheaper versions of these bikes, although upgrading them would cost a lot more. I know the newer trend is for a bit more travel and slacker angles, but although I'd love to do trails, there's not just any in my area as it's too sandy. So most of the training would be on the road or dirt roads, I'd have to drive somewhere to get to some single track or open trails. 

I know a lekke hardtail would probably work, but I have a slight disc bulge so in the long term the dual suspension would (I think) be better for my back. 

Last question - The spez bikes looks really inviting at those prices compared to the other bikes with similar pricing and specs, but does the brain really need more or more expensive maintenance. Keep in mind I'm in the west coast area with Cape town being over 200kms away. 

Thanks a lot for the input and critique guys, have a nice weekend. 

Best bang for buck would be those epic's normal epic for 30k would be the 1 as it's exactly the same as the Evo just with 100mm fork instead of 120mm and for 5k you can upgrade quite a bit!

Just throwing another option in here - have you perhaps had a look at the Stratos AL2 or AL1? Very versatile bikes, modern geometry and well specced for the price. I think CWC still has some decent specials on them.

Hi Kameel, well yes. I always look at Silverback for value for money, but the frame looks very odd to me.

Just throwing another option in here - have you perhaps had a look at the Stratos AL2 or AL1? Very versatile bikes, modern geometry and well specced for the price. I think CWC still has some decent specials on them.

I got my evo comp 2 weeks ago.

you'll struggle to find something with similar spec at the current price it's going at.

Hi Kameel, well yes. I always look at Silverback for value for money, but the frame looks very odd to me.

I was in a similar boat to you recently, not quite sure what to go for.

Silverback seemed like a good option, but the frame looked very 'boxy' to me, so went against that.

I also looked at the Merida Onetwenty 600, was about to pull the trigger and cwc sold out..

I ended up purchasing the Specialized Epic Evo. Difference between that and the non evo is the dropper post, suspension (and I think tyres it comes with, but not 100% sure). Must say that I absolutely love the bike, and for the price, it was just too good to resist. I do think that SA stock is running out, so rather act sooner than later..

Sure it is a very unique frame (the assymetrical design) and it has recently won some design awards, but I guess people either like the look of it or they don't.

I recently got the AL1 and loving every minute on it. So yes, might be a bit biased here ????

Sure it is a very unique frame (the assymetrical design) and it has recently won some design awards, but I guess people either like the look of it or they don't.

I recently got the AL1 and loving every minute on it. So yes, might be a bit biased here

Thanks for the input anyway

I was in a similar boat to you recently, not quite sure what to go for.

Silverback seemed like a good option, but the frame looked very 'boxy' to me, so went against that.

I also looked at the Merida Onetwenty 600, was about to pull the trigger and cwc sold out..

I ended up purchasing the Specialized Epic Evo. Difference between that and the non evo is the dropper post, suspension (and I think tyres it comes with, but not 100% sure). Must say that I absolutely love the bike, and for the price, it was just too good to resist. I do think that SA stock is running out, so rather act sooner than later..

The more I read the more I'm leaning towards this, will the Brain 2.0 maintenance come bite me in the ass later on? vs something like a Giant Anthem or maybe the Trek?

The more I read the more I'm leaning towards this, will the Brain 2.0 maintenance come bite me in the ass later on? vs something like a Giant Anthem or maybe the Trek?

I'm yet to have mine serviced, haven't had it too long. I think between the three you can't really make a wrong choice, I guess it comes down to personal preference. From what I've seen, it seems like the Specialized retain their value well for resale. And I think they look the best.

Oh, about buying secondhand...

Firstly the biggest problem for me is I'm 1,71m so I'm right on the Edge of a small/medium. Some brands a Medium fits better and some a small. 

Second problem is, I don't live near the city where I can actually view the bike (especially with the current situation).

Oh, about buying secondhand...

Firstly the biggest problem for me is I'm 1,71m so I'm right on the Edge of a small/medium. Some brands a Medium fits better and some a small. 

Second problem is, I don't live near the city where I can actually view the bike (especially with the current situation).

Specialized is a good bet because of the dealer network. I have found them to be very good on the warranty and willingness to help you out when things go wrong. That said I'm sure you'll hear different from someone else. The current specials make them a very attractive option IMO. The Epic is a tried and tested bike. The only negative is the proprietary suspension that requires a a few days away for servicing. A word of advice, go for the bigger size and fit a shorter stem. You'll find the bike far more fun on the descents than with a 100mm version. 

Thanks Headshot. Seems that I'll be bang on in a Medium with a Specialized. But something like a Giant I'm on the edge....

Unless you are planning on shaving off a few mibutes here and ther, consider the Merida 120. It's a bit heavier, but also a bit more versatile/less "racey".

Thanks Headshot. Seems that I'll be bang on in a Medium with a Specialized. But something like a Giant I'm on the edge....

Thanks DCJ. For the type of riding I describe.. Am I looking at the right type of bike? Or should I rather look at a better hardtail? Since you're recommending the merida, I saw the Big Nine xt 2 is going for a pretty nice price at the moment.