2nd-hand full suspension 29'er advice - Need your advice

fandango

Hi fab people! Please send your wonderful advice.

I had a Silverback 29'er that got stolen a few years ago. I bought it 2nd-hand on this site and I remember the great advice I got here (spot-on and all rang true after my purchase). I am now in the market again for a 2nd hand 29'er full suspension (back problems!) and looking at a few of the ads on here. Budget is around R20 000.

Initial thoughts:

- I read good things about Bergamont. More comments would be appreciated.

- Any Giant Anthem X seems like a solid buy all-round. Always liked Giant. Only with alum frame?

On that topic:

- I see, for example, a Bergamont with a carbon frame going at roughly the same price as Giant with alum frame. Would you good people rather go for the carbon frame (a few years ago it seemed any carbon frame was overpriced) or is alum best/strongest/better/best?

What else you would recommend in that range? Best value for money? Anything from Specialized maybe? 

Thank YOU!

Never seen a Bergamont locally? Go for a well supported local brand like Giant, Scott, Specialized, Titan Racing etc. There is nothing wrong with alloy bikes at all. More important is the service history and current condition of the bike. Make sure the fork and shock have had their air springs and dampers serviced at least annually. Check the chain for stretch and the rest of the drivetrain for wear. Make sure the wheels are straight and spinning well. Other than that, let us know what you are looking at and we will be happy to give further advice

Bergamont was imported for a while, but after ownership changed to Scott, Scott SA stopped importing it, so so support is suspect as well.

I'd gladly buy an Anthem if I was in that market.

Bergamont was imported for a while, but after ownership changed to Scott, Scott SA stopped importing it, so so support is suspect as well.

I'd gladly buy an Anthem if I was in that market.

Didn't BMC import Bergamont

Didn't BMC import Bergamont

. It started that way. The local BMC supplier (Velo Life) imported Bergamont. But VL folded, the BMC agency moved over to someone else and BMC International sold Bergamont to Scott shortly thereafter. Scott SA decided to focus on Scott (understandable) but you might be able to get support through them.

The Bergamonts are really nice bikes, but I'd be wary of things like derailleur hangers, that is about the only part that can bite you in the arse. If you can get that, then the Bergamont could be a nice buy.

Edited by PhilipV

Specialized epic comp alu, 25k new. Maybe worth a look.

Thanks! Will I find that on the Specialized site?

Hi fab people! Please send your wonderful advice.

I had a Silverback 29'er that got stolen a few years ago. I bought it 2nd-hand on this site and I remember the great advice I got here (spot-on and all rang true after my purchase). I am now in the market again for a 2nd hand 29'er full suspension (back problems!) and looking at a few of the ads on here. Budget is around R20 000.

Initial thoughts:

- I read good things about Bergamont. More comments would be appreciated.

- Any Giant Anthem X seems like a solid buy all-round. Always liked Giant. Only with alum frame?

On that topic:

- I see, for example, a Bergamont with a carbon frame going at roughly the same price as Giant with alum frame. Would you good people rather go for the carbon frame (a few years ago it seemed any carbon frame was overpriced) or is alum best/strongest/better/best?

What else you would recommend in that range? Best value for money? Anything from Specialized maybe? 

Thank YOU!

I bought an second hand Anthem X last year for R19.9K - you won't be disappointed

My first two full sus bikes were anthems .Make sure the components are still in good condition .If the bergamont has the same components,i would go giant ,but if ,for the same prize the bergamont has better and newer components i would go for that .All my bikes are not well known brands

My advice: Stick to your budget and don't be too worried about the components, if you like the look of the frame then anything and everything that bolts onto it can be changed. 

If I had to choose between the Giant and Bergamont I would go with the Giant, solely because I see Giant as the Toyota of the biking world  :whistling:

Giant! Anthem or Trance depending on your ride style........and you will not be sorry.

i bought a 2018 anthem in 2018 and it still feels a great as it did then.

Even with a 2nd hand, hardly anything major will go wrong...don`t go too early in the models maybe from 2014 - 2019....bound to land a great deal!

. It started that way. The local BMC supplier (Velo Life) imported Bergamont. But VL folded, the BMC agency moved over to someone else and BMC International sold Bergamont to Scott shortly thereafter. Scott SA decided to focus on Scott (understandable) but you might be able to get support through them.

The Bergamonts are really nice bikes, but I'd be wary of things like derailleur hangers, that is about the only part that can bite you in the arse. If you can get that, then the Bergamont could be a nice buy.

BMC entered the SA market directly after the VeloLife debacle. Everything else is spot on.

BMC's timing was bad as the economy hit the brakes and they needed a sizable investment to take on Specialized, Omnico, Dragon Sports and Scott South Africa. In the end they withdrew as Europe also toyed with recession.

PS: get the GIANT

Edited by DieselnDust

My first two full sus bikes were anthems .Make sure the components are still in good condition .If the bergamont has the same components,i would go giant ,but if ,for the same prize the bergamont has better and newer components i would go for that .All my bikes are not well known brands

Thanks Eendoog ;)

I dont have the same level of expertise as you so what would you recommend I look for specifically when checking the components and what kind of questions should I ask the seller?

Thanks in advance!.