Is my frame cracked?

boesman88

I noticed this crack on the top tube of my CAAD5 frame. Its about 10mm long and feels smooth to the touch. Is it common for paint to crack in this way or could it be the frame? Its located around 120mm from the headset on top.

post-11565-0-31437800-1591419657_thumb.jpeg

Edited by boesman88

Workshop clamp? Bike rack? (Or only) paint damage?

Seems like a strange place for a crack to form from simply riding it. 

I agree its a strange place. This particular bike doesnt go on bike racks. Workshop clamp possibly, however the guys who services the bike uses the partktool clamps, so doubt it.

I agree its a strange place. This particular bike doesnt go on bike racks. Workshop clamp possibly, however the guys who services the bike uses the partktool clamps, so doubt it.

There are quite some suspicious lines following the tube and it seems to be a bit deformed as well(not round any more. So that looks very overclamped and thus whilst a weird place quite likely a crack.

There are quite some suspicious lines following the tube and it seems to be a bit deformed as well(not round any more. So that looks very overclamped and thus whilst a weird place quite likely a crack.

Im also more concerned about the lines to the right.

It would be best to get it checked out - imho.

I was told by my lbs that my frame was cracked and needed to be discarded as scanning and repairing the frame would cost more than buying a new frame... Long story short - after I purchased a new frame, a fellow cyclist recommended I take the old frame to https://carbonbikerepair.co.za/ They did a stress test for free and determined it was paint damage. I was skeptical and paid for a full health check - turned out it was paint damage...

So, to save yourself unnecessary worrying/money, have it checked out.

Cracks in a straight line are seldom stress or wear related... That looks cracked and grooved from the picture.

But ja, if it's dear to you, get it stress tested, otherwise ride it till it cracks properly.

Hi everyone. Yep this is my first post, have being an avid reader of the forum for a couple of months. Noticed a crack on my trek emonda, top tube close to the seat stay. Dull sound when tapping with coin and has a soft spot feel. Is it safe to ride? What are my options? Any advise appreciated. post-148537-0-03764500-1591450389_thumb.jpeg

Hi everyone. Yep this is my first post, have being an avid reader of the forum for a couple of months. Noticed a crack on my trek emonda, top tube close to the seat stay. Dull sound when tapping with coin and has a soft spot feel. Is it safe to ride? What are my options? Any advise appreciated. attachicon.gif5FED3EE7-C363-4209-A223-B6147BB3DDDA.jpeg

Looks more like an impact spot than a crack.

Mark the ends and see if it spreads while you riding.

Extremely unusual for an Aluminum Cannondale. I have a CAAD 3 and have had many Cannondale frames over the years, never seen something like this. Looks like either a workshop stand of bike rack. Fairly low stress area, but not ideal to ride regardless. It does look like a crack though. Problem is repairing aluminum is not easy and often not very successful.

Before thinking about buying a new frame, you could remove the paint in that area and do a crack penetration test. That will definitely show if it's a crack. If it isn't one, then you can get that area repainted by a decent paint guy... A lot cheaper than a new frame.

Edited by quintonb

Hi everyone. Yep this is my first post, have being an avid reader of the forum for a couple of months. Noticed a crack on my trek emonda, top tube close to the seat stay. Dull sound when tapping with coin and has a soft spot feel. Is it safe to ride? What are my options? Any advise appreciated. attachicon.gif5FED3EE7-C363-4209-A223-B6147BB3DDDA.jpeg

I would say a warranty issue, looks like carbon is delaminating.

I noticed this crack on the top tube of my CAAD5 frame. Its about 10mm long and feels smooth to the touch. Is it common for paint to crack in this way or could it be the frame? Its located around 120mm from the headset on top.

Did you perhaps transport the bike on a bike rack with the top tube in a clamp ? With those racks going through a dip on a road the weight of the wheels create a huge downforce that can cause damage to a frame .

Workshop clamp? Bike rack? (Or only) paint damage?

Seems like a strange place for a crack to form from simply riding it.

Surely aluminum wouldn't crack if the clamp is too tight. Surely it would dent.

Did you perhaps transport the bike on a bike rack with the top tube in a clamp ? With those racks going through a dip on a road the weight of the wheels create a huge downforce that can cause damage to a frame .

I was thinking of this. Although I havent had this bike clamped on a carrier for the last probably 5 years or so. The ‘Crack’ only started appearing in the last couple of months. I could not spot any visible scratches or other deformites on the tube which is what puzzles me. Would alu not bend instead of crack as Eugene suggests?

Edited by boesman88

Surely aluminum wouldn't crack if the clamp is too tight. Surely it would dent.

I was going to say the same thing, with carbon being the norm these days people assume its a crack.

In this case it's an aluminium frame so its highly unlikely to be a crack, it would bend and deform long before it cracked.