How hard is it to find 26" wheelsets or rims

DR ◣◢

The struggle is very real at the moment. 

The lady's bike needs to go on a diet and wheels would be the first area to tackle to reduce rotational weight. 

Her current wheels are more burly than they need to be from a rim perspective. Tyres wont change. She is running WTB Bronsons. 

Does anyone know where we can at least find light weight rims like the Stans Arch or Crest (she is a light rider)

Alternative would be a wheelset with a 20mm thru-axle front and 135mm QR rear. 

2 old Crests in stock at the agents, otherwise newer stuff should be landing towards the end of the month.

Also quite a few options in the Alex Rims range.

26 wheels are still quite often specced on kids bikes, so you'll still find stock around - it's just the higher end stuff that can be scarce. 

2 old Crests in stock at the agents, otherwise newer stuff should be landing towards the end of the month.

Also quite a few options in the Alex Rims range.

26 wheels are still quite often specced on kids bikes, so you'll still find stock around - it's just the higher end stuff that can be scarce. 

I'll count some holes and get in touch. Thanks! 

how much do the current rims weigh? you might spend quite a bit of $$$ and only drop 200gr per wheel? you're going to pay min R1k per rim and then you got to fit them too

i'd try and find a whole wheelset, like this sort of thing

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-wheels/407188/stans-ztr-podium-26-inch-negotiable

The front wheel for example is a full DH built wheel that came with the fork. The rear is ok but being and old Ritchey OCR it would be best to rebuild the wheel. 

200g in rotational weight makes a noticeable difference though. 

Secondhand is an option if I can find a set. I would prefer brand new as you never know what that pervious wheelset went through. 

As for the costs involved. That is no issue. I'm a highly capable wheel builder.

Edited by Maxxis

• 2 weeks later...

The struggle is very real at the moment. 

The lady's bike needs to go on a diet and wheels would be the first area to tackle to reduce rotational weight. 

Her current wheels are more burly than they need to be from a rim perspective. Tyres wont change. She is running WTB Bronsons. 

Does anyone know where we can at least find light weight rims like the Stans Arch or Crest (she is a light rider)

Alternative would be a wheelset with a 20mm thru-axle front and 135mm QR rear. 

Hi Maxxis,

If you are looking for a lightweight 26" rim.

The Stans ZTR Poduim MMX is definitely a rim to consider.

Have a look at the link below:

https://twowheelstrading.co.za/product/stans-no-tubes/rims/26-rims/rim-stans-ztr-podium-mmx-32h-26-blk/