MTB Drivetrain Upgrade - 1x11 or 1x12?

Trevz

Hi All

I'm currently seeking some advice with regards to upgrading my drivetrain.

I currently run a 1x10. 32T Chainring and 11-50 cassette.

I want to upgrade to 11 or 12 speed. Ive been wanting to go 11 speed but my LBS advised I should just go 12 speed one time. I was plotting to go 1x11 32T with 11-42/46 Cassette

What would be the best option?

Thanks!

I would go 1x12. The new Shimano Deore, SLX, and XT 12 speed stuff is incredibly well priced. I don't see any reason to not go for 12 speed.

If you had asked me a few months ago before the new Shimano 1x12 stuff was released I would have told you to go for 1x12 only if you were going to install Sram XO1 or XX1, I find that in Sram's range GX and below is not great in their 1x12 variations. I'd rather have an 11 speed XO1 setup than a 12 speed GX setup. Anyway, all of that is irrelevant now, because of the opening sentence of my post.

I would go 1x12. The new Shimano Deore, SLX, and XT 12 speed stuff is incredibly well priced. I don't see any reason to not go for 12 speed.

If you had asked me a few months ago before the new Shimano 1x12 stuff was released I would have told you to go for 1x12 only if you were going to install Sram XO1 or XX1, I find that in Sram's range GX and below is not great in their 1x12 variations. I'd rather have an 11 speed XO1 setup than a 12 speed GX setup. Anyway, all of that is irrelevant now, because of the opening sentence of my post.

Yeah i've seen some 12 speed kits are same price or a bit more than 11 speed. I think i slightly overlooked 12 speed because i thought I would need to change my hub (don't want to do that)....until i researched and saw that its not necessary.

if your budget allows you to go for a quality (key word here) 1x12 set up then why not.

Agree with Grease_Monkey sentiment, would rather choose a good 1x11 over a poor 1x12.

Heck i would choose Deore 1x10 over 12 speed SX/NX...but that's just me :ph34r:

if your budget allows you to go for a quality (key word here) 1x12 set up then why not.

Agree with Grease_Monkey sentiment, would rather choose a good 1x11 over a poor 1x12.

Heck i would choose Deore 1x10 over 12 speed SX/NX...but that's just me :ph34r:

Thats my thoughts as well, rather have better good quality 11 speed over "low end" 12 speed. Cant recall right now which sites i saw it on, but saw 1x11 Deore XT and SRAM GX in the 3-4k bracket. I think the GX was R3700 and the XT R3400.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, if you already on a 1x10 with a 11-50 cassette, what are you going to gain from a 1x12?

I hear you! The jumps in this 11-50 10 speed cassette are a bit too big. Sometimes on the trail i struggle to find the best gear to be in...I need to climb so i shift, then my legs are spinning out of control. lol...Its not over terrible. I'm also thinking of riding this drivetrain for longer and upgrade later. What i would do is maybe get a 10 speed 11-42. If i need more climbing i have a spare 30t chainring i could use. Thats where my thinking is.

1x12 is the way to go.

11-50 Sunrace or SRAM NX cassette with Minimum SRAM GX or Shimano Deore 12 speed derailleur and shifter. Thats the cheapest quality oriented upgrade path

My opinion: 11 or 12 is pretty much of a muchness. I would allow my budget to dictate my decision

You already have a 50 on the 10 speed but the jump (as you've mentioned) is quite high. So in my view (coming from a single speed back ground) I would upgrade but not be too phased about the number of options I have in my toolbox but rather focus on building strength to cope with the options I do have  :whistling:

Edited by RobertWhitehead

I hear you! The jumps in this 11-50 10 speed cassette are a bit too big. Sometimes on the trail i struggle to find the best gear to be in...I need to climb so i shift, then my legs are spinning out of control. lol...Its not over terrible. I'm also thinking of riding this drivetrain for longer and upgrade later. What i would do is maybe get a 10 speed 11-42. If i need more climbing i have a spare 30t chainring i could use. Thats where my thinking is.

So all you gaining is smaller jumps in the gears? Maybe I am just a cheapskate but I would not at this stage when I am on a Covid-19 budget spend the money. Rather get a smaller chainring for when you know you going to need your climbing legs. But that's just me.

got the XT 1x11 32x11-42 and tis flawless. At the time when I did that upgrade I don't think there was an XT 12 speed, if there is now and the price is more or less the same I see no reason not to go for that extra gear, but if the price is much higher, that 11 spd groupset really is very good !

So all you gaining is smaller jumps in the gears? Maybe I am just a cheapskate but I would not at this stage when I am on a Covid-19 budget spend the money. Rather get a smaller chainring for when you know you going to need your climbing legs. But that's just me.

Agreed...plotting the 11/12 speed route a bit later this year...for the interim I'm looking at the 10 speed 11-42 (closer ratios) I think 42t is enough right now. And should i ride in a place with more hills I would whip out my 30t chainring 

Agreed...plotting the 11/12 speed route a bit later this year...for the interim I'm looking at the 10 speed 11-42 (closer ratios) I think 42t is enough right now. And should i ride in a place with more hills I would whip out my 30t chainring

Glad I could save you money. I drink Lion Lager [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Hi All

I'm currently seeking some advice with regards to upgrading my drivetrain.

I currently run a 1x10. 32T Chainring and 11-50 cassette.

I want to upgrade to 11 or 12 speed. Ive been wanting to go 11 speed but my LBS advised I should just go 12 speed one time. I was plotting to go 1x11 32T with 11-42/46 Cassette

What would be the best option?

Thanks!

If you gonna go, go 1 x 12. Simple costs less. Keep free body and you have 11-50 options. 

However a 32 up front is a bit of a limiter unless you are happy with your top end. 

So add More ZAR to the mix and you can upgrade free body and go 9-50. Keep your current rations and get more top end.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, if you already on a 1x10 with a 11-50 cassette, what are you going to gain from a 1x12?

Closer ratios. Trust me it is a thing. Even with my current 11 x cassette. That is why I went 11-46, but now the 36 up front is an issue. So will be doing a 34 up front, but then the top end is going to be an issue.

1x12 is the way to go.

11-50 Sunrace or SRAM NX cassette with Minimum SRAM GX or Shimano Deore 12 speed derailleur and shifter. Thats the cheapest quality oriented upgrade path

This is the cheapest way by far.

But lets not forget the benefit of the 10 tooth at the back. If you want the full benefit of the 12 speed drive train, I would seriously recommend doing the full job, replace the free hub with an XD/microspline and go 10x50. This upgrade can also happen at a later stage. So maybe the OP should go with the GX/Deore shifters and derailleur for now, and when this cassette is finished, look at XD/microspline and go 10x50 cassette.