Riding in Northern Cape (MTB)

Trevz

Hi Guys

I know that we are still in lockdown and all that, but at some point when lock down comes to an end I'd like to head out to the Northern Cape...Like a weekend getaway type of thing. A person always goes to the coastal areas, only for work reasons have i found myself in the Karoo region. I'd like to discover more of the Northern Cape. I'd like to ride some of those long gravel roads.

Which parts of Northern Cape are good for MTB / Gravel riding?

From a quick google search, i see Goegap Nature Reserve (Springbok) has some cycling activities.

Thanks!

In Springbok there is Goegap Nature reserve with quite an extensive network, and a nice little 10km loop around the golf course near by. There is a lot of gravel roads in the area to.

They do a 3 day stage race in the area in spring time, Namaqua Quest. One day is in Goegap the others are on some private farms.

If anyone lands up in the area, drop me a PM. I spend a lot of time on contact there, and actually stay on one off the above farms when I'm there, so you welcome to ride with me.

Awesome riding in and around Springbok..

if you have some time to head North past Steinkopf, go ride Richtersveld and stay there...you won’t regret it. 

For just gravel riding From Springbok you can go West down the pass and back, great scenery about a 3 hr ride..

Goegap is a morning ride, nice to see

Thanks for the feedback guys! Looks awesome and would be a nice change to the usual coastal type of getaways. But I'm sure one need to take precaution as conditions are harsh and riding locations are very remote.

That Namaqua Quest seems quite interesting too. Hadn't heard of it. 

It's very dry, dust and sandy at the moment. Slightest bit of ran up there and everything holds together great again. 

Very very remote, thats always in the back of my head while out.

Few options around Upington.

Not ideal for gravel bike, to corrugated, but on hardtail great.

Option 1:

From Upington on the kanaal pad to Neilersdrift gravel road.

From Neilersdrift pass Keimoes, through Kokerboom woud to Kakamas.

Around 100km, can stay over in Kakamas or push on to Kamkirrie.

Option 2:

Kakamas to Riemvasmaak gravel road pass Kamkirrie.

On towards the hot springs and rest of day in Riemvasmaak.

Option 3:

Kamkirrie to Riemvasmaak to Vredesvallei to cross the Orange river at Blouputs.

Tarr climb out of Blouputs towards Lake Grappe.

Option to go via Augrabies Falls Park perhaps, will need to talk to locals.

Option 4:

Loop in and out of the Kalahari, this is a tuff one, corrugated and sandy.

Option 5:

Two gravel roads from Upington to Kenhardt, one option is the Kleinbegin pad (longest) or Louisvale gravel road.

Option from Kenhardt to Kakamas on gravel road, have not ridden myself but if the Orange river is in fload and bridges can`t be crossed this road is used.

Have look at TransAugrabies stage race, homestay in Augrabies with routes in Riemvasmaak.

Send me PM, can forward one of the locals telephone number he will be best to advise on routes. 

• 4 months later...

Few options around Upington.

Not ideal for gravel bike, to corrugated, but on hardtail great.

Option 1:

From Upington on the kanaal pad to Neilersdrift gravel road.

From Neilersdrift pass Keimoes, through Kokerboom woud to Kakamas.

Around 100km, can stay over in Kakamas or push on to Kamkirrie.

Option 2:

Kakamas to Riemvasmaak gravel road pass Kamkirrie.

On towards the hot springs and rest of day in Riemvasmaak.

Option 3:

Kamkirrie to Riemvasmaak to Vredesvallei to cross the Orange river at Blouputs.

Tarr climb out of Blouputs towards Lake Grappe.

Option to go via Augrabies Falls Park perhaps, will need to talk to locals.

Option 4:

Loop in and out of the Kalahari, this is a tuff one, corrugated and sandy.

Option 5:

Two gravel roads from Upington to Kenhardt, one option is the Kleinbegin pad (longest) or Louisvale gravel road.

Option from Kenhardt to Kakamas on gravel road, have not ridden myself but if the Orange river is in fload and bridges can`t be crossed this road is used.

Have look at TransAugrabies stage race, homestay in Augrabies with routes in Riemvasmaak.

Send me PM, can forward one of the locals telephone number he will be best to advise on routes. 

Hi Djuice,

I live on the otherside of the country, but recently I have been looking at Riemvasmark on google earth as a bikepacking destination.

You seen to have a lot of knowledge about the area, if you dont mind I might contact you again sometime in the future when I get closer to planning a trip over your side of the world.

Many thanks,

Pete.