Show your Momsen STR & STF Thread

Hairy

7 hours ago, Allrounder said:

Nice, The long of the rapide is a bit of a concern as i am planning a monster build. The  curly bars makes the bike very long..... thinking of nice chunky tyres and rigid fork. 

Long gravel roads and helderberg trails is where ill be. and some rides with roadies, showing that nobblys can be more fun on tar than 30mm slick tyres

BUT after looking at Mercer's website i am wondering if i should just get a steel MTB..... price dependent of course. 

If you going monster gravel then STR is your bike, the handy fact that you have sliding drop outs means you can run the bike as a SS, or of you are running a narrower tyre setup for gravel work, you can then bring the rear wheel in and get a quicker handling bike ... to slide it out for something more stable for ultra long rides

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

If you going monster gravel then STR is your bike, the handy fact that you have sliding drop outs means you can run the bike as a SS, or of you are running a narrower tyre setup for gravel work, you can then bring the rear wheel in and get a quicker handling bike ... to slide it out for something more stable for ultra long rides

And the Rapide also has a sliding drop out.

5 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

And the Rapide also has a sliding drop out.

But the slack nature of the geo is a little less "gravel" than the STR.

Also note, whoever is looking at the STR, I have a 2.4" Ardent on the rear of mine, and it is a snug fit, and you need to push back the wheel into the belly of the bulge on the stays for decent clearance.

• 10 months later...
59 minutes ago, V18 said:

Not sure if mine is Gen 2. Currently riding 38t on it though. No issues. 

(I have the orange/blue/grey str frame.)

Ah, the best looking colour of the lot then

STR.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Upgraded (ie. lighter) from a suspension fork to a new Rapide carbon rigid blade. The 38T direct mount chainring fits perfectly. Running 38/18 ratio - nice a quick on the flats for some fast gravel riding. Eyeing the Cradle Grit in September.

STR.jpg

38T.jpg

• 6 months later...

Just reigniting this forum as I'm potentially on the lookout for an STF Frame, recently purchased a Rapide frame where I swopped over my Slade Trail bits, going to be my dedicated trail bike for the steeper stuff, I have a carbon Rapide fork i want to use to build up a gravel grinder. If anyone here has a frame/ knows if someone is selling, please hit me up (None floating around any classifieds at the moment) in a Medium, maybe a large👌