Lance Armstrong - the "Pablo Escobar" of cycling . . . .

Bonus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently it's 7 years since Armstrong 'fessed up.

Amongst other things, Armstrong admits he used his "Cancer" as a means to deflect from accusations of drug taking . . . . 

https://www.bicycling.co.za/blogs/espns-lance-wraps-with-a-lack-of-regrets-despite-the-relationships-lost/?mc_cid=5276e17e45&mc_eid=d42fb6cf4f

Lance shows lack of regrets....

Mojoman shows lack of interest.... :devil:  (but sadly he did succumb and read the article...!)

Luckily there are no dopers in mountain biking...... :thumbup:

he's a sociopath.

he fooled everyone for all those years and made everyone believe what he wanted. To believe anything he has to say now with regards to repentance or regret or whatever.....would just be you being taken for a fool again. He should be ignored into insignificance.  That will be his ultimate punishment. He's a nobody who once lied about being somebody lol

he's a sociopath.

he fooled everyone for all those years and made everyone believe what he wanted. To believe anything he has to say now with regards to repentance or regret or whatever.....would just be you being taken for a fool again. He should be ignored into insignificance.  That will be his ultimate punishment. He's a nobody who once lied about being somebody lol

Heavens above.

I hate to think what you feel about actual murderers or rapists or whatever.

he's a sociopath.

Wowzer.! You must have really loved the guy to hate him this much.

I for one am grateful for Pharmstrong. It took his personality and play the game hard enough and open the cracks in cycling's doping culture. Sometimes the villain does still end up the hero in the story.

Now we wait for the next story MVDP, greatest cyclist alive

I believed in Lance until the very end. I can remember how shocked and disgusted I was when he finally came clean.

However, I still believe he is and was an incredible athlete. He would have been competitive without the dope, but would never have been a champion. If everyone was clean, he would have been equally superior.

The mistake he made was going all out to destroy anyone that ever made claims against him, I think that is why there is so much hate towards him now. If he was just busted eventually like everyone else, it would have been no big thing. But like I said, as an athlete, he was a cut above. The sport was dirty to its core (and most likely still is), and without doping no one could win.

I remember being equally disappointed when David George got caught out. I think this was made worse because I kind of idolized him and Kevin Evans at that stage. Being a young student and obsessed with XCM at the time. I actually met them as I was their guide on the Tour de Tuli just before the positive test. What's that thing they say about never meeting your heroes

Wowzer.! You must have really loved the guy to hate him this much.

I for one am grateful for Pharmstrong. It took his personality and play the game hard enough and open the cracks in cycling's doping culture. Sometimes the villain does still end up the hero in the story.

Now we wait for the next story MVDP, greatest cyclist alive

I’m indifferent... (the irony right? Lol)

Ps: his ‘aggressive narcissism‘ And ‘sociopathic’ tendencies are not my words...just references to observations by people a lot more qualified to call him those things...

Anyway. I’ll continue ignoring him now. As you were hehe.

I believed in Lance until the very end. I can remember how shocked and disgusted I was when he finally came clean.

However, I still believe he is and was an incredible athlete. He would have been competitive without the dope, but would never have been a champion. If everyone was clean, he would have been equally superior.

The mistake he made was going all out to destroy anyone that ever made claims against him, I think that is why there is so much hate towards him now. If he was just busted eventually like everyone else, it would have been no big thing. But like I said, as an athlete, he was a cut above. The sport was dirty to its core (and most likely still is), and without doping no one could win.

I remember being equally disappointed when David George got caught out. I think this was made worse because I kind of idolized him and Kevin Evans at that stage. Being a young student and obsessed with XCM at the time. I actually met them as I was their guide on the Tour de Tuli just before the positive test. What's that thing they say about never meeting your heroes

LIkewise - all the articles about his over-sized heart & lungs and the fact that he produced less lactic acid than average made his story believable. 

I think the "destroying people whilst knowing you're lying your ass off" bit is what has made his actions so unforgivable. 

Remember him jumping the gap to the breakaway to join Simeone? Knowing that the Peloton would reel him, and therefore the riders in the break, back in?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Filippo+Simeone+breakaway

Edited by Bonus

Just one opinion over another, but I think in a world where everyone was clean, Jan Ullrich would have had the beating of him. Yes I know he wasn't clean either, but I suspect he wasn't doping at anywhere near the level of sophistication of LA. In a number of books I've read people said that Ullrich actually rode clean for the first season after the Festina Affair purely out of fear of being caught, and STILL was fairly competitive. 

And I guess that's the sad part of it, that's what the cheating takes away. We'll never know now. 

At the time I was also part of the baying mob calling for his public execution with the rest of the justifiably outraged public, but over the years observing him from afar with stuff like the MOVES podcast and seeing some of his interviews, I am less attached to those views.  I enjoy how self-deprecating and reflective he has become around the doping stuff, and he has really interesting insights and commentary on cycling.  Was he a complete box?  Oh hell yes.  Has he REALLY learnt from the experience?  I think it would be impossible not to have.  Is he still a box?  Who am I to judge?

What I don't get is people like Betsy Andreu and her relentless and (IMHO) ridiculous crusade.  Imagine being that utterly consumed by bitterness and the need for some sort of pound of flesh, even after all these years? What does she actually want?  That kind of negativity eats you out until there is nothing left

Edited by PygaSchmyga

Pharmstrong's narcissism is legendary because he took it to another level but also because of the American media's penchant for drama and therefore played it. Who doesn't want to read about  the good boy off the bike bad boy on it story?

Make no mistake he was likely a monumental c**t  (even his mother appealed to Lemond to help him not be such a c*n*)

*uncensored text for premium members only*