Silverback frame size

Grant Prince

Hi I am new to the forum. I recently upgraded from an old Trek 3900 MTB to a Silverback Stride Elite. I am 1.7m tall and used a medium sized Trek. When I upgraded, I was not aware frame sizes per manufacturer differ so much. Having a medium size Trek I went for a medium sized Silverback. Now the bike feels too large for me. Seeing the 2 together the Silverback is also noticeably larger than the Trek. Maybe I will get used to the larger size. Anyone else who experienced the same problem or have any advice. Feedback will be much apprecuated.

Hi Grant and welcome to The Hub.

I moved from a medium Specialized Rockhopper to a medium Silverback Slade and it fitted me perfectly.

Grant, i too am 1.7m and rode a small Silverback sesta without issue.

Currently on M Scott Spark.

Hi I am new to the forum. I recently upgraded from an old Trek 3900 MTB to a Silverback Stride Elite. I am 1.7m tall and used a medium sized Trek. When I upgraded, I was not aware frame sizes per manufacturer differ so much. Having a medium size Trek I went for a medium sized Silverback. Now the bike feels too large for me. Seeing the 2 together the Silverback is also noticeably larger than the Trek. Maybe I will get used to the larger size. Anyone else who experienced the same problem or have any advice. Feedback will be much apprecuated.

A large Silverback Stratos is also bigger than a large Merida Big Nine.  I just got used to them, maybe you need another size?

At 1.7m I can't imagine the M being too large for you? Sure you are right on the border. Maybe a shorter stem and moving seat forward on the rails?

Thank you for the replies so far. Yes I am a border case between small and medium. Think I will use the suggestion of trying a shorter stem and get used to the size.

Hey Grant, welcome

I am going to give my personal experience and then add my 2 cents to your situation (just note, this is my opinion & I by no means know everything or very much for that matter  :whistling:)

I had a Silverback which I used as a trainer and I found the geometry of the Silverback to be weird when compared to that of a Trek (I have 2 Trek bikes - a 4300 and a Superfly). I am a fairly tall guy and on the Silverback I had to extend the seat post to the max just the get the same height as on the Trek. 

I then did a comparison and found the seat tube on the Silverback to be way shorter and the top tube to be way longer than what the Trek's were and that it took some getting used to until I eventually sold the Silverback frame  :D

Now back to your little problem and what you currently have going on: 

Question:

Is the bike too big for you? Nope it's not

Motivation for my answer:

• The Trek 3900 is a 26er and the Silverback is a 29er - the wheel size will feel clumsy to begin with 
  • The top tube / seat tube conundrum I mentioned was for an older Silverback model so this may not apply but still, you may need to do a proper set-up. Try this link to begin with: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp
  • I see according to their website (the images of the bike on there) it looks like the bike comes standard with a riser bar. This will help a hell of a lot if you adjust this to the correct angle, but doing a fitment will resolve this as well  :)

All the best with your riding quest 

Pleasure, I did not mention the shorter stem as it was mentioned by Nox already  :thumbup:

A word of caution though, if you have lets say a 100mm stem (I believe a 80mm will actually be standard) and you shorten it to a 50mm just remember that the width of the bar will have to be increased to bring the balance back to the cockpit.

Feel free to send me a pm if you need any assistance  :thumbup:  

Thank you Robert for the very helpful and informative reply. I will definately use the link to assist with my setup. Awesome forum.

The trek 3900 has old school geometry.

I'm the mean time bikes have gotten longer.

This is not q bad thing, but you might take a while to get used to it.

A word of caution though, if you have lets say a 100mm stem (I believe a 80mm will actually be standard) and you shorten it to a 50mm just remember that the width of the bar will have to be increased to bring the balance back to the cockpit.

:

Only if you come from a long stem and short bar combo and want to keep more or less the same upper body position but gain better handling.

The Silverback Stride is specced with a 720mm wide bar,which is about right for a medium.