Races a thing of the past...... for now at least

T_Boss

Interested to hear the opinions of other hubbers on this.

It would seem some event organisers are still holding out to the bitter end, but realistically, what are the chances of events taking place this year still?

I am pretty bummed over the one mass participation event I was planning to attend, Tour de Tuli, this it isnt a crisis for me, as mass participation events aren't really my thing.

From a business point of view, I see an opportunity for something a little different, as is highlighted here:

https://adventurelogistics.co.za/2020/06/10/stage-races-are-a-thing-of-the-past/

But what are your opinions? Do you think the postponed events will actually take place next year? If they do, what changes are they going to have to make?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My GUESS .... we should have a much clearer picture by end July 2020.  And some real answers by end September ....

That is just the eternal optimist in me looking for the "better patterns" in what has already happened in other countries.

In truth, the only thing we KNOW, is that nobody actually knows anything for sure at this stage ...

So as much I would like to do the October MTB ride in Robertson, no ways I am making any early payments ....

I'm just as bummed about Tuli being cancelled.

Still holding out for Berg 'n Bush in October, but I'm not too positive about it.

Time will tell.

I am hoping that Double Century still goes ahead in November (as long as we don't have to wear masks while we ride...)

The one day format with self supported feeding stations and no race village may help.

There's only one race I've never missed a year of and it's the one I'll mourn this year. And it's probably the most polarising race in the country. Its the Juma. Still hoping maybe it'll happen.

Still on the fence about the Desert Dash in December. It is still 6 months away but a lot can happen. They did promise full reimbursment of entry fees if withdrawal is CV19 related, but there is the acommodation, international travel etc. to consider as well.

If I miss it, it will be the first one in 11 years...

Edited by sias

I've enter for ride the Karoo and it is in September. If i look at the TB in August that got moved to Jan 2021 i cannot see the Karoo ride happening. It is a bit of a bummer because i need all the motivation i can get to keep on cycling.............. :thumbdown:  :wacko:

I am hoping that Double Century still goes ahead in November (as long as we don't have to wear masks while we ride...)

The one day format with self supported feeding stations and no race village may help.

If more teams do it like it is supposed to be done ( no drafting of other teams) then it will be even safer :)

Personally I doubt whether it will take place this year though. 

I've enter for ride the Karoo and it is in September. If i look at the TB in August that got moved to Jan 2021 i cannot see the Karoo ride happening. It is a bit of a bummer because i need all the motivation i can get to keep on cycling.............. :thumbdown:  :wacko:

Riding should be fun regardless of whether you have a race to train for or not..... But why not join us for the Ben 10 challenge in Rhodes a little later this year. Your already closed by, so don't even need to spend hours in a shuttle from JHB.

Details here https://adventurelogistics.co.za/full-service-adventures/ben-10-by-bike/ .

There is a July and an August departure, and there is a 20% discount on bookings made this week.

Sad but likely true. Races are more trouble than they are worth. Even group rides are going to be an issue so clubs are going to be useless for a bit.

I doubt we will see any mass participation events in 2020 with the exception of Double Century where the race format lends itself to managing people contact better than others. Anything with a race village and large feeding stations isn't going to work. For now my focus is just on enjoying cycling and still building fitness and strength without the added pressure of focusing on race preparedness. Nice fat base block this is.

????

Organizers can probably be held accountable if participants dont wear masks. Imagine an event with a DQ if they see you without a mask .

I was kinda wanting to ride Karoo to Coast again this year, but I am confident it is not going to happen. And even if it did, I am not going to chance it. It is sad to see the effect the virus is having globally on so many aspects of life we all took for granted.

I am glad though that at least I got to ride my best Argus to date this time round. (CTCT I know, but it will always be the Argus to any cyclist)