Spruit Closures/Gates

Wet Ears

Just saw a post on FB and Jozi Trails where fences and gates have been erected just before and after that little river crossing near William Nicol/Republic.

Anyone know anything about it, is it just a security measure  for the evening or permanent?

Will follow the post to see if Jozi Trails knows anything.

hmm, seems an odd idea

I run through there often (in normal times...), hope nothing stupid is about to happen

Just saw a post on FB and Jozi Trails where fences and gates have been erected just before and after that little river crossing near William Nicol/Republic.

Anyone know anything about it, is it just a security measure for the evening or permanent?

Will follow the post to see if Jozi Trails knows anything.

I was there today. Don't know what you're talking about. Aren't you talking about the new fence in the middle of delta Park ment for the horses?

Copied this from that same FB page, from a guy who seems to know what he's talking about:

we are not locking & NO intention to restrict access. We have 24x7 security vehicles/personnel to lock/unlock if needed. Some of our existing gates work on a maglock/timer. Of course locks can be broken with one hit with a hammer

There is no intention whatsoever to stop use of the Spruit trails. The 2 lintel bridges & trails here were built by Neil Evans from our community.

We cut the grass here & removelitter, & provide bins with City Parks.
We have added a gate through existing Eskom servitude into Hurlingham. Sandton Gate are adopting the park alongside the Sandton Spruit & we will improve safety & build an additional cycle circular path. The fences & gates are backed by lights & cameras that are monitored to make the area safer. Some poor mothers & daughters have had people breaking into their houses in the early hours of the morning. There is a massive illegal settlement below the Pick nPay. We have offered to build a proper shelter to the City. We hope they do assist these marginalised people. Lastly, we as residents too use these cycle routes & walks - probably the most as we chose to live on the lovely Spruit & greenbelts, the green lung great asset of Jozi (as I said we maintain this area with City Parks), so we only want safer & better for cyclists, & walkers. Enjoy & continue to enjoy. Best

We are monitoring by camera and not locking currently

It appears that no one uses after 8pm and before 5:30am. If we lock, thinking 10pm to 5am, as crime stats show from 11:30pm to 4am

I shouldn't imagine it will be too long and the gates will be gone anyway...
liberated...