Where are all the Hardtail Trail bikes

Saadiq Jacobs

Hey People 

Im looking to buy a  Hardtail Trail Bike (If thats what they known as). I know of the Trek Roscoe 7 2020. Silverback slade comp and slade Trail. Im not so keen on the Trek for the plus size tyres. And the cheaper Silverback doesnt have great components for the price(R15000) and the Silverback Slade Comp is very expensive(R26000). Are there ant other options locally.

Thanks

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Saadiq

Have you considered building one? You'll come in way lower than the R26k and you'll get exactly what you want

Hey People 

Im looking to buy a  Hardtail Trail Bike (If thats what they known as). I know of the Trek Roscoe 7 2020. Silverback slade comp and slade Trail. Im not so keen on the Trek for the plus size tyres. And the cheaper Silverback doesnt have great components for the price(R15000) and the Silverback Slade Comp is very expensive(R26000). Are there ant other options locally.

Thanks

Momsen  has a really awesome frame (Currently on special). You can build a traillie with some decent components for somewhere nicely in between the silverback trail and comp.

Throw in some Rapide wheels, handlebar and stem, with a drivetrain from the classifieds, and you can roll away with a serious trail bike, that does not come out of a catalog.

If I had  around 18k burning a hole in my pocket, it's exactly what I will be doing. (You can probably spend less if you have some patience. (trawling the classifieds)

I asked a similar question a little while back, it would seem local bike retailers don't really see the need to sell them.

The rand going for a ball of crap has also stuffed the idea of direct importing properly for now. I would love a Nukeproof scout or something similar from Cotic.... But it just ain't gonna happen

there are cookie cutter versions available from the bigger brands, but imo because they are seen as niche bikes...with steel/custom versions dominating what is considered 'proper hardcore hartails', alot of people tend to build them up themselfs by acquiruing those frames overseas. 

this would be my coice if I wanted to build a Alu version locally at the moment:

https://www.commencal-store.co.za/frame-meta-ht-am-orange-c2x30635379

post-64325-0-97828700-1591950581_thumb.jpg

there are cookie cutter versions available from the bigger brands, but imo because they are seen as niche bikes...with steel/custom versions dominating what is considered 'proper hardcore hartails', alot of people tend to build them up themselfs by acquiruing those frames overseas. 

this would be my coice if I wanted to build a Alu version locally at the moment:

https://www.commencal-store.co.za/frame-meta-ht-am-orange-c2x30635379

that looks rather sexy

Hi Saadiq

Have you considered building one? You'll come in way lower than the R26k and you'll get exactly what you want

I Haven't yet. But I am now. Just would know where to start

I love my 2013 GT Zaskar Pro Le hardtail... have ridden many trails on it.

But, the new GT Hardtails are a bit pricy for what you get in my opinion.

Perhaps, take a look at the Specialized Chisel Comp... https://www.specialized.com/za/en/shop/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/chisel/c/chisel

I had a 2012 Zaskar (was the 26inch still). Man that was an awesome bike, and so good on trails (even though it's actually an XC bike). GT as a brand doesnt get enough love in this country.

But most of the bikes mentioned here are actually XC bikes. Sticking a 120mm or 130mm fork on them will transform them a lot though....

I am still dreaming of a Nukeproof scout though.....

I had a 2012 Zaskar (was the 26inch still). Man that was an awesome bike, and so good on trails (even though it's actually an XC bike). GT as a brand doesnt get enough love in this country.

But most of the bikes mentioned here are actually XC bikes. Sticking a 120mm or 130mm fork on them will transform them a lot though....

I am still dreaming of a Nukeproof scout though.....

Ya... i also crushed on the Santa Cruz Chameleon at some stage... but you pay for those big names  :eek:

Yes, take a XC bike, put on a slightly longer fork and a dropper post and you'll be amazed at the trail capability... i guess what holds my GT back from being 'Trail' is the really aggressive head angle and the light weight... you always feel like you on the knife's edge of a rodeo bull  :excl:  But if you like that feel, then its all good.

We should stay focused here ladies and gents .... trail hardtail I would put into a HT with min. 120mm travel fork and max. 140mm travel fork ... some slacker head angles that do not fall into the "Enduro" range and then not too "XC" steep either.

Dropper posts ... well these should be on all bikes, but let's also assume the trail HT should have a nicely sloped top tube to allow the frame to run the longest travel dropper the rider can on the build.

Hardtail Party channel on Youtube make a concerted effort to ride as many HT's as possible ... I am not saying he knows his #^%, but I personally agree with most of his sentiments, and it is refreshing to see a channel dedicated to the humble hardtail.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwDvZTTIQ6Qz-xfZ-QXXuSw

We should stay focused here ladies and gents .... trail hardtail I would put into a HT with min. 120mm travel fork and max. 140mm travel fork ... some slacker head angles that do not fall into the "Enduro" range and then not too "XC" steep either.

Dropper posts ... well these should be on all bikes, but let's also assume the trail HT should have a nicely sloped top tube to allow the frame to run the longest travel dropper the rider can on the build.

Hardtail Party channel on Youtube make a concerted effort to ride as many HT's as possible ... I am not saying he knows his #^%, but I personally agree with most of his sentiments, and it is refreshing to see a channel dedicated to the humble hardtail.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwDvZTTIQ6Qz-xfZ-QXXuSw

Can fully agree here. Have been watching some of his episodes on YouTube and really liking it.