Freehub slips under load. Yes another of these threads

BenGraham

So I have searched in vain for an answer. Maybe you lot can help.

My novatec d542sb hub has just recently started slipping under load. I'm running a single speed setup on vertical dropouts with a basic rapide tensioner. Basically if I push hard on my pedals by standing and hammering for instance I get a distinct clunk and the pedals slip about 15-20 degrees I think before reengaging. Its intermittent but its getting more regular.

A few thing I recently changed that may have had some impact. I recently changed from a 135mm to 142mm width which require changing the internal axle. I'm now on a new frame.

Everything else is identical and I don't remember getting this slippage before but I haven't been ridding much due to lockdown and trying to juggle parenting and my wife and myself both workign from home while my 4 year old son attempts to climb the walls (that's another story).

I pulled the freehub out and gave it a thorough cleaning. Removed the circlip, pawls and springs but I didn't use de-greaser because I didn't want to damage the bearings which I wasn't able to remove. That said I cleaned the gunk of all surfaces with roller towel till everything appeared clean and nice. Then I used a little thin lube (green finish line wet lube) on each pawl and spring. Reassembled and tightened up. The slippage appeared worse like more regular. Instead of one clunk there was two or sometimes even three. Disassembled today and cleaned again but without pulling the circlip and extracting all pawl. I simply wiped the surfaces and bounced each pawl to make sure it was properly returning and cleaned off excess grease. Reassembled. Problem remains but seems slightly better. Can still make it slip by riding uphill with a bit of vigour (not what I would consider proper hammering at all).

Can anyone offer me some insight I'm at a loss.

Novatec hubs are notorious for slipping like that. It won't help to get a new freehub as I replaced mine in the past. Just buy a new hub.

Novatec hubs are notorious for slipping like that. It won't help to get a new freehub as I replaced mine in the past. Just buy a new hub.

I was worried this might be the case. Maybe someone has something better to say. I've had this hub for like 5 years or so maybe I just have to accept this as being the end. Super frustrating as I just bought the axle to convert it. I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet though. But my frustration levels are rising.

If you running ss then why dont you change to flip flop hub and forget about any issues

You should replace the pawl and springs. The edges of the pawls are probably worn to round

Edited by DieselnDust

The splined cylinder the prawls hook on to also starts to wear. That's why I couldn't just replace the freehub.

My guess is that novatec uses cheap steal to make the hubs out of. Can't trust the Chinese people, they provide us with affordable bike parts that sometimes break and then also tries to take over our country.

If you running ss then why dont you change to flip flop hub and forget about any issues

Probably should have said. This is aj mtb hub. Mtb fixie sounds like an easy way to end up in the emergency room.

Yeah so now the question becomes. Cheap and cheerful novatec or rapide or something a bit more premium and long lasting - dt Swiss or hope. I take issue with disposable parts, even if I decide to move on to something else I want the thing to last someone else can use it. Also getting super tired of not being able to go on a decent ride.

The splined cylinder the prawls hook on to also starts to wear. That's why I couldn't just replace the freehub.

My guess is that novatec uses cheap steal to make the hubs out of. Can't trust the Chinese people, they provide us with affordable bike parts that sometimes break and then also tries to take over our country.

That escalated quickly. Honestly though I agree. Its why I'm not jumping straight back into novatec and rapide (a great company actually) are rebranding novatec hubs as I understand it.

Yeah so now the question becomes. Cheap and cheerful novatec or rapide or something a bit more premium and long lasting - dt Swiss or hope. I take issue with disposable parts, even if I decide to move on to something else I want the thing to last someone else can use it. Also getting super tired of not being able to go on a decent ride.

Hope pro 4 or dt 350

I open my rapidé hub last night to check whats going on and it uses a circular spring to provide tension over all the prawls, hope have A individual spring for every prawl and dt ha e a large spring which pushes against the whole ratchet both would be much more reliable and be serviceable for years to come, best option is to get rid of the hub have now unfortunately

Hope pro 4 or dt 350

I open my rapidé hub last night to check whats going on and it uses a circular spring to provide tension over all the prawls, hope have A individual spring for every prawl and dt ha e a large spring which pushes against the whole ratchet both would be much more reliable and be serviceable for years to come, best option is to get rid of the hub have now unfortunately

This is what I'm looking at. Got some money for my birthday. I guess I know where its going now.