Light scratches on stanchion fairly new bike

MarcoDB97

Hello, I was hoping I could get some help- my mountain bike only has about 400km on it and I noticed some light scratches on my stanchion when I was washing it this morning after a muddy ride. Just wanted to know if this can be normal from use of the bicycle or if there's something I need to look out for and if I should take it in for a service. 

I don't ever spray water directly towards the fork and usually just wipe it down with a wet cloth when there is mud on the stanchion. I've attached a photo to the post so you can see.

post-148512-0-55384800-1592131016_thumb.jpg

Might be something stuck inside the seal. I would have it checked out just for peace of mind. Take it to where you bought it might even be a warranty claim.

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

Hello, I was hoping I could get some help- my mountain bike only has about 400km on it and I noticed some light scratches on my stanchion when I was washing it this morning after a muddy ride. Just wanted to know if this can be normal from use of the bicycle or if there's something I need to look out for and if I should take it in for a service. 

I don't ever spray water directly towards the fork and usually just wipe it down with a wet cloth when there is mud on the stanchion. I've attached a photo to the post so you can see.

Hmmm for a new bike that doesn't look ideal.

You say 400km, but how old is the bike? They should be serviced annually even if not they are hardly used.

I'd look into a basic lowers service just to assess  what's going and ensure the seals, sliders etc are greased up and lubricated, and that the bushings in the lowers are still good.

Doesn't look terminal though. What fork is it?

Hmmm for a new bike that doesn't look ideal.

You say 400km, but how old is the bike? They should be serviced annually even if not they are hardly used.

I'd look into a basic lowers service just to assess what's going and ensure the seals, sliders etc are greased up and lubricated, and that the bushings in the lowers are still good.

Doesn't look terminal though. What fork is it?

I got the bike in November its a 2020 Scott Spark 970 so it's due for its first follow up service but I'll definitely take it in for a checkup on the shock. Its a RockShox Judy Silver. I thought it was strange and I'm kind of glad I saw it now Edited by MarcoDB97

Might be something stuck inside the seal. I would have it checked out just for peace of mind. Take it to where you bought it might even be a warranty claim.

Agreed I'll definitely have it checked out I'm super OCD about my bikes so this scared me a bit lol

I don't like this black coating they use on the RS forks. My 2019 Recon also showed marks very quickly. I had a Suntour Mag 32 10 years ago and those uppers were black and took many thousands of Kms before showing wear....my 2c...

I don't like this black coating they use on the RS forks. My 2019 Recon also showed marks very quickly. I had a Suntour Mag 32 10 years ago and those uppers were black and took many thousands of Kms before showing wear....my 2c...

I've been worried about these cause it doesn't look like a very "tough" coating to me but I've only had a Momsen with silver coating on the suntour fork and it's showing wear now and I think the bike is a 2015 model

Edited by MarcoDB97

I had similar happen on a RS Sid. Within a few months, fork was basically scrap. New stanchions cost almost as much as new fork back then.

Also had similar from new Manitou that I sent back for warranty replacement. Check if there's any play at all. If there is, bushings are stuffed and the wear will get worse quickly.

I'm leaving towards a warranty claim on this one.

I had similar happen on a RS Sid. Within a few months, fork was basically scrap. New stanchions cost almost as much as new fork back then.

Also had similar from new Manitou that I sent back for warranty replacement. Check if there's any play at all. If there is, bushings are stuffed and the wear will get worse quickly.

I'm leaving towards a warranty claim on this one.

I've contacted Scott now.

Just a bit annoyed because I've already had one warranty claim for the x-fusion rear shock when the bike was brand new. I also had the Sram SX Eagle derailleur break off which I found out could have been a warranty claim after I replaced it. At this point if it is a warranty claim I'm in half a mind to tell them to take the bike back and send me a new one

Edited by MarcoDB97